• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Reaction score
You don't see Sceptile with this move? I'd say it makes the most sense of the Grass starters, even if it isn't needed.
I feared to mention Sceptile bacuse of its low attack and Leaf Blade.
Chesanaught is the knight that needs his own kind of Blade.

Conkeldurr's already very departed from the Machamp line as it is now.
Gurdurr has a steel frame and the line would need some steel type moves against faries.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Accelrock : Rampardos, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, Mudsdale, Sandshrew?
(pokemon that look fast but arent would need priority moves)

how many ice and water types(Shelder) get Ice Shard? (Phanpy by breeding)

Beak Blast: Skarmory, Empoleon, Decidueye, Delibird and others, maybe the Oricorios (the move has low (-2) priority)

Merry Chrysalis
Reaction score
Apparently, Alolan Raticate can learn Blizzard. Just... Why?
Well, it's common for Normal type Pokémon to learn a bizarre variety of attacks via TM, Blizzard included. It would be weirder if Raticate (in either form) could learn Blizzard by level-up.

Thievulpes velox
Reaction score
Alolan Sandshrew an Sandslash can't learn Ice Shard. Inexcusable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
Fomantis and Lurantis should be able to learn spore, poison powder, stung spore, and powder since many grass type Pokemon gets them.

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Why has Alola Exeggutor got Flamethrower? Where does the fire come from? It is part Grass type...

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
Why the hell can Tapu Bulu not get Play Rough? His only option for Fairy STAB is Special Attacks, #MESS~ How do they give him such great Physical stats and decent coverage, but no Play Rough? Like they blatantly kept him from getting Moonblast, but didn't allow Play Rough?~

Also wondering why Magearna can't get Moonblast, too~

Why has Alola Exeggutor got Flamethrower? Where does the fire come from? It is part Grass type...
Most Dragon-types can get Fire moves~ It's like, pretty normal~ I'd find it weirder if it didn't~

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Most Dragon-types can get Fire moves~ It's like, pretty normal~ I'd find it weirder if it didn't~
Yes but Alolan Exeggutor is part Grass. Apart from Sunny Day, no Grass type ever learns a Fire attack. However there is an upside to this. It can hit Ice, Steel and Bug with it. I am not complaining but Grass learning a damaging Fire attack is weird in my opinion.

Merry Chrysalis
Reaction score
Yes but Alolan Exeggutor is part Grass. Apart from Sunny Day, no Grass type ever learns a Fire attack.
Actually, the Pumpkaboo family gets Flamethrower and Fire Blast by TM, because they're jack-o-lanterns. So, Alolan Exeggutor isn't the only one.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
Yes but Alolan Exeggutor is part Grass. Apart from Sunny Day, no Grass type ever learns a Fire attack. However there is an upside to this. It can hit Ice, Steel and Bug with it. I am not complaining but Grass learning a damaging Fire attack is weird in my opinion.
Adding to @MegaPod12, any Grass Type that can learn Hidden Power has a potential chance to learn a Fire Attack, so it's not that strange~ Plus, you're looking at it from his Grass perspective as if it's not part Dragon which usually learn Fire-type attacks, so, again, not that weird, TBH~

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Crabominable can't learn Hammer Arm for some reason, I've heard. Even though the Ice version is its signature move.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
Incineroar and Hawlucha can't learn Submission or any throw based moves (seismic toss, vital throw etc) despite them being based on wrestlers. Hawlucha's even classified as the wrestling pokemon for christ's sake. At least they get body slam and flying press.

Reaction score
It loses it's Flying type after evolution. Besides, it has Brave Bird instead.
Not a good reason for it not to be able to Fly.

Flygon was never a Flying type, but it can use Fly. And Decidueye has wings and it capable of flight, as seen in its Z-move animation (as well as Brave Bird)