• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Reaction score
Wow... some of these moves that some Pokemon can't learn really makes me wonder... is GameFreak really that stupid? Or were they simply drunk? LOL

But I guess they were for competitive reasons (to balance out the pokemon)...

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
@PokemonTrainer; You comment made me laugh. But I agree with you, as some of these moves don't make a lot of sense at all, if any. And I don't quite think it's for competitive reasons, either. But this is GF we're talking about, they don't make much sense anyway.

Fluffy with 80% more spots!
Reaction score
This one is probably just me, but I always wondered why Electabuzz couldn't learn Bite and Crunch. He has those big fangs, yet he doesn't use them, yet at the same time he learns Psychic. Electabuzz may be my favorite Pokemon, but he doesn't look like the type who would learn Psychic. To me, he's all beastly and feral and his moveset should reflect that.

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Some hilarious stuff in here.

Smeargle using some moves that wouldn't make sense would be amusing to see in the anime.

Reaction score

Smeargle using some moves that wouldn't make sense would be amusing to see in the anime.
It would also be amusing to see Pokémon use powerful moves via Metronome that wouldn't make sense. I remember watching a Let's Play in which a Clefairy used Metronome, and then Bolt Strike.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
It's amusing that Genesect can learn Flame Charge despite its big weakness to fire.

Reaction score

It would also be amusing to see Pokémon use powerful moves via Metronome that wouldn't make sense. I remember watching a Let's Play in which a Clefairy used Metronome, and then Bolt Strike.
Only recently my Togepi used fricking ROAR OF TIME via metronome. Unfortunately it missed :(

Total Melon
Reaction score
This:

Lol! I thought it'll make more sense to have Empoleon Metal claw when it evolves because Empoleon has metal blades at the edges of its flippers and has claws underneath.
I find it dumb that Piplup and Prinplup have wings, but can't learn steel wing until after evolution into Empoleon (and even then only via TM). Prinplup DOES have claws though, they are on its feet.

Only recently my Togepi used fricking ROAR OF TIME via metronome. Unfortunately it missed :(
I was playing Battle revolution one time, and an enemy Chansey used metronome. It became JUDGEMENT (with STAB).

Reaction score
Snorlax should learn Slack Off. It has the same basic concept of Slaking, it's a pokemon that only sleeps, eats all day and it's lazy as hell, so why can't it learn Slack Off just like Slaking? Even worse is that Infernape can learn it, an hyperactive fighting ape can learn it but a lazy panda-bear-thing can't?

Sometimes i feel like bitch-slapping the person at GF that gives the moves to each pokemon.

This is the Monado's power!
Reaction score
Snorlax should learn Slack Off. It has the same basic concept of Slaking, it's a pokemon that only sleeps, eats all day and it's lazy as hell, so why can't it learn Slack Off just like Slaking? Even worse is that Infernape can learn it, an hyperactive fighting ape can learn it but a lazy panda-bear-thing can't?
Well, considering that Infernape has the same inspiration as another certain hyperactive fighting monkey, it makes sense as a shout out.

Reaction score
I wish Vivillon could learn Fly, so I could fly all around Kalos on my Pokeball Vivillon. :(

Reaction score
I remember Surf being a huge offender. Pokemon like Lickitung, Kangaskhan and Snorlax were all able to learn it.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
None of the early birds (Pidgeot, Swellow etc) except Talonflame can learn Acrobatics, in-fact few pokemon based on birds do. Certainly would have given Unfezant more use in story clearing.

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Emboar also can't learn Fire Punch despite nearly all of its dex entries saying it fights with flaming fists.
Black and White 2 Move Tutors. It's still a bit silly though, that should at least be an egg move.

As for mine, Togekiss should get Moonblast. It would work rather well together with Serene Grace.