• NMLewis takes on a Tough challenge. Can he win a Normal Rank Contest? Watch here to find out!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!
  • Hello all! The staff is planning a restructuring to the forums on April 11th. Please see this announcemnt thread for details.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Reaction score
because they have them.
Funny, because what you said was:
maybe Charizard should get Roost for healing?
You didn't know that Charizard could get Roost. You didn't check.
Plus you dindt answer my question what moves would you add to its moveset?
I did, as a matter of fact.
Perhaps in the future you could try to read through my entire post before saying I didn't respond?
that wasnt hypocritical.
Yes, it was. If you tell me to not assume how you think, and then tell me how I'm thinking, you're being hypocritical. There's no way around it.
wait till you see your own failures more.
Excuse me?
Plus what gives you attacking my and my opinion.
There's a big difference between attacking an opinion and debating it. I'm not saying your idea is stupid, I'm stating facts that I believe show Venusaur does fine without having to have its moveset expanded.

Last edited:
Reaction score
you either. But it has the recovery.
My point wasn't "you didn't know this", and I'll fully admit I didn't know at the time, either. My point was the under the impression that Charizard didn't have recovery options, your response wasn't to accept the (admittedly imagined) difference, but to instead suggest a way for it to be similar.
wait and see till next generations.
And I suppose you're some GameFreak insider, then?
There are going to be new moves
Never said there wouldn't be.
and it rather should get something, lie Purrify
Back on distributing sig moves already?
Sooner or later.
Believe it or not, there's more ways to add in new content beyond expanding old Pokemon's movesets. GameFreak could go for the rest of the franchise while never giving Venusaur a Dragon-type move. It's been that way for the entire franchise thus far.

Reaction score
never giving Venusaur a Dragon-type move
never say never.
Maybe a non damagin or not hard damagin one?
Its based on a toad and some kind of skin, buble, tongue move could be posibble.
It can breed with dragons.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Its based on a toad and some kind of skin, buble, tongue move could be posibble.
There is no skin, bubble or tongue dragon move.

They didn't bother to give Venusaur a dragon move for 20 years so they OBVIOUSLY feel that it dosen't need one.EDIT: they had full opportunity to overhaul its moveset in XY (see: Blastoise's mega launcher moves) but they didn't feel that it should happen.

Last edited:
"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
If that's your basis, then...

Bulbapedia said:
Venusaur appears to be based primarily on some form of reptile, specifically the tuatara or any of the mammal-like reptiles known as Dicynodonts from the Permian period or the Kannemeyeria from the Triassic period.

Other than a lack of a tail, and with visible ears and no genuine metamorphosis stage (evolution aside), Venusaur does not have much in common with amphibians such as frogs and toads (which metamorphose from one definite creature into another as they mature as opposed to just growing into a larger adult version of itself the way that Venusaur does); instead, it more closely resembles reptiles such as lizards and tuataras.
There. I'm one for being really optimistic and hopeful but this has to stop somewhere. Venusaur can also be taught Synthesis and Outrage, there's no need for other ideas like Purify or "Dragon lick". I don't remember one instance where Venusaur has shown an elongated tongue either, it's not Lickilicky or Greninja.

Which reminds me... It wouldn't be totally ridiculous for Greninja to get Power Whip, right? There's already basis for it with said Lickilicky.

Reaction score
what about shelder and cloyster getting more rolling based moves?

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
really? and other pokemon dont have spikes?
Yes. Really, show me how cloyster can roll without all its spikes breaking. And before that I'd be highly interested in knowing how it'd turn into a ball in the first place.

Reaction score
Yes. Really, show me how cloyster can roll without all its spikes breaking. And before that I'd be highly interested in knowing how it'd turn into a ball in the first place.
rotation doesnt mean it needs to rotate one way, you know rapid spin and other moves could go not only head down but rotating from left to right.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
rotation doesnt mean it needs to rotate one way, you know rapid spin and other moves could go not only head down but rotating from left to right.

I'm not continuing this discussion till you tell me how such a Pokemon can move in a rolling motion plausibly. It literally has spikes everywhere.

Reaction score
then what about Shell Trap? or its only for Turtonator in future? how you think?

Chesnaught also got spikes... gyro ball should be posibble.
but smart strike is a nice addition.

it gets rapid spin people by breeding, then why not a other roller kind move?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bulbapedia said:
The user sets a shell trap. If the user is hit by a physical move, the trap will explode and inflict damage on the opposing Pokémon.
Not to mention, it is a fire type move. Do I need to bring Turtonator's pokedex entries as well?