• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

...yes? Magic doesn't really have any association with magnets, whereas computers commonly use magnets to store data.
magic... do you want to make me mad or to see if I will explode?
Real life magicians also use real magnets for their magic tricks...
But if something has magical powers and we donthave any other move like magnet rise that allows user to levitate for 5 turns with the same effect why not give it that?

magic... do you want to make me mad or to see if I will explode?
I'm just saying that computers have more association with magnets than Delphox. Nothing in my post was intended as provocative. If your thoughts on this subject are so personal that you feel mad enough to explode when they're challenged, then it might be a good idea to post in a thread where it's clear that it's a sensitive matter to you. This thread is more of a place of debate-you can look through past posts and see other people have had their ideas challenged, too.
Real life magicians also use real magnets for their magic tricks...
Stage magic, not oracles and mages like Delphox is based on.
But if something has magical powers and we donthave any other move like magnet rise that allows user to levitate for 5 turns with the same effect why not give it that?
There's plenty of reasons not to.
  • Because Delphox has never been shown to be capable of levitation
  • Because Delphox has no association with magnets
  • Because the Air Balloon item can be used to give the same in-battle effect
  • Because Pokemon don't need to be capable of creating every in-battle effect
  • Because if Delphox really, really needed this effect, it'd be better to make a new move with the same effect that was better suited to Delphox's theme rather than give it a move that doesn't

Stage magic, not oracles and mages like Delphox is based on.

magic is universal... asiosiated to electricity also.. Zeus, gods, magical creatures...

only giving arguments You dont need to become mad.

You said yourself on what Delphox is based on and your argumentation of not are lame taking what pokemon learn Magnet rise and Delphox motive... creating a new type version of Magnet Rise would be critisized to be probably silly taking that we have magnet rise or not? or Maybe they will do Telekinesis , Heal Puls, Sparkling Aria work also diffrent on the users of those abilities if they use them too not only on the oponent himself.
Heal Puls could also heal the user by 1/4 when healing the target in the same time.
Sparkling Aria should heal the users and oponent from burn(or all status conditions) in the same time when used by Primarina.
Telekinesis could make the oponent do what it did till now but when the user of the move uses itself could work like Magnet Rise.

Last edited:
Despite being based on a Mandrake, Oddish learns no notable sound moves, which I think is a pity. Sure, giving it Screech, Echoed Voice AND Hyper Voice might be overdoing it a little, but it could at least have one of them. I think it would be neat if it learned Screech early on, then learned Hyper Voice at a high level (but not as one of its evolutionary relatives)

magic is universal... asiosiated to electricity also.. Zeus, gods, magical creatures...

You said yourself on what Delphox is based on and your argumentation of not are lame taking what pokemon learn Magnet rise and Delphox motive... creating a new type version of Magnet Rise would be critisized to be probably silly taking that we have magnet rise or not? or Maybe they will do Telekinesis , Hel Puls work also diffrent on the users of those abilities if they use them on themslf too not only on the oponent.
Personally I think a different move with the same effect would work better conceptually. Plus GF hasn't been shy about having different moves or abilities that do basically the same thing. White Smoke/Clear Body/Full Metal Body, Shadow Shield/Multiscale, Sharpen/Howl, Defence Curl/Harden, the 4 different kinds of OHKO moves. They've done it before, so surely doing it again wouldn't be an issue.

Personally I think a different move with the same effect would work better conceptually. Plus GF hasn't been shy about having different moves or abilities that do basically the same thing. White Smoke/Clear Body/Full Metal Body, Shadow Shield/Multiscale, Sharpen/Howl, Defence Curl/Harden, the 4 different kinds of OHKO moves. They've done it before, so surely doing it again wouldn't be an issue.

Then we have ccomplaints about Wimp Out -Emergency Exit; Dazzling-Queenly Majesty?

People complain that's getting bad, they could make them more diffrent like by adding "small" diffrences especially when it comes to "abilities", would it be a problem to make White smoke boost sp.defence when somebody tries to lower its statst?
Clear Body could rise defense when somebody tries to change its stats?
Full metal body would rise both special defense and defense when oponet tries to change its stats?

Defense Curl could rise defense more by 2 stages like Iron Defense and maybe boost rolling and ball moves on the next turn by 1,5 power, Harden could for the turn its used also reduce the damage in the turn its used and boost maybe both stats instead of one...
Shadow Shield and Multiscale half damage the first turn only? yes? Disquise can block a move the first turn?
why not make Shadow Shield get also to half ghost type moves always to its current effect and Multiscale to half alwas dragon type moves to its first turn halving effect, older and new pokemon could get something good out of that.

Growth could boost 4 stats, both defenses and attacks

If you compare moves and abilities think about how they could be better and diverse and not fully identical, especially Defense Curl/Harden both are normal type and have the same identical effect... Iron Defense also is there if you think about it, but as a steel type move should it not react to Iron Barbs, Magnet Rise, Magnet Pull, Magnet Bomb, Magnetic Flux , Electric terrain react to each other more and have extra effects when used against each other or with each other?

Imagine Iron Barbs ability and Magnet Bomb move doing double damage on pokemon using Magnet Rise, on steel and electric types?
or make a pokemon with Magnet Pull also immune to the steel type moves and not only trapping steel type pokemon?

Magnetic Flux normally raises the Defense and Special Defense stats of allied Pokémon (including the user) with the Ability Plus or Minus by one stage each. Why not make Magnet Pull steal that effect?or make that electric types get sp. def and sp. attack boost and steel types get defense and attack boost too?

Make Electric terrain work also on steel type pokemon? steel when its getting long contact with high electricity also gets hot and melts or reacts to magnetic fields or generates and changes energy dependingg on what material u use...
They could overthink current mechanic and modify them to be more better in next generations.

Last edited:
By this logic, Delphox should get Fusion Bolt as well.
Where in my post did I say I was mad?
You said yourself on what Delphox is based on and your argumentation of not are lame
  1. Calling my arguments lame is rather rude, especially when you don't offer any counterpoints.
  2. Spin it any way you like, mages and oracles have no association with magnets, and Delphox is not based on stage magicians.

• Calling my arguments lame is rather rude, especially when you don't offer any counterpoints.
  • Spin it any way you like, mages and oracles have no association with magnets, and Delphox is not based on stage magicians.

your arguments dont have proof based on facts... and if its based on a oracle and magician themed then it really should learn it if it wants a better ability then levitate.

Interestic would be to see what pokemon with Sand Veil, Overcoat could actually learn sandstorm?
Imagine Mandibuzz and others in that roles?

Last edited:
I think Play Rough would suit Xerneas well, especially since it has other physical options such as Close Combat, but only special Fairy moves.
Honestly, I think the Fairy type has kinda been put in a box right now with their movepool. I really hope we get some more physical Fairy moves in Gen 8, because only one is kind of insane. (I mean, it's a good one, but still...)

your arhuments dont have proof based on facts...
mages and oracles have no association with magnets, and Delphox is not based on stage magicians.
  • Because Delphox has never been shown to be capable of levitation
  • Because Delphox has no association with magnets
  • Because the Air Balloon item can be used to give the same in-battle effect

These are all factual statements.
and if its based on a oracle and magician themed then it really should learn it if it wants a better ability then levitate.
Just after saying my arguments have no factual proof, you make this claim? It's not a fact that Delphox needs to be able to levitate, it's an opinion. There's nothing wrong with basing your thoughts on a subject on your own opinions, but please don't say my arguments are "lame" because they "don't have proof based on facts" if you're going to use opinion-based arguments.

Last edited:
arguments
ok , i think they are not fully with the rules of Objectivism...
ok physical fairy moves yes but with good effects and not overpowered i feel that we need more with lower power and some that power rises in some situations, maybe multi hit moves (maybe buff and change some existing ones to)

Play Rough with Xerneas? I dont think so... rather a head based or horn baed new one, I think that even a fairy type version of Horn Leech could work well... also we would need a fairy type version of Wild Charge
(Vespiquen really should get Queenly majesty instead of Pressure and ad Cute Charm as a third ability)

Last edited:
This is probably moot and no one else would care much, but I wish that non-fully evolved Pokemon could learn all the same stuff as their fully evolved forms.

This is probably moot and no one else would care much, but I wish that non-fully evolved Pokemon could learn all the same stuff as their fully evolved forms.

In some situations yes, but it makes that people want more fully evolved forms bacuse of the power , stats diffrences.
I think that's why they make base forms get some moves faster without them getting evolved.

Would be cool if in future we would get moves that would be superpowerfull and better for small and unevoved pokemon....
Weight and speed based moves like Heat Crash and Gyro Ball were a good step into that directions..

weird that many flying type moves that lift the target up, fall from the sky, dig, surf or use ground or rock don't use height and weight diffrences more of pokemon when taking evasion , accuracy and damage changes in battle.
Some old moves should be buffed/changed/nerfed this way. Also new may be added.
Together with Raind Dance and her Dry Skin ability? especially taking fire weakness.

I think this would buff her enough for plenty generations.
Phantom Force would not be too strong but would allow her to battle much longer taking how many weakness it dual typing gives.

Last edited:
I recently raised a Forretress and found it hard to believe it couldn't learn Iron Head.

Yeahhh... and move tutors can teach it how to create sentient floating rocks, bore into opponents like a drill, manipulate gravity, and siphon opponents’ very vitality from a distance...but not bump into stuff?

So... GameFreak is telling me three half-submerged moles, a rock that pretends to be a tree, a bug which created cloaks from various substances, a ghost owl and freaking psychic cats can learn how to use sucker punch- an unfair attack but not a literal heel wrestler whose entire job is to attack unfairly?

And of all things Snubbul and Meloetta can learn close combat but not Incineroar with bulging muscles?

So... GameFreak is telling me three half-submerged moles, a rock that pretends to be a tree, a bug which created cloaks from various substances, a ghost owl and freaking psychic cats can learn how to use sucker punch- an unfair attack but not a literal heel wrestler whose entire job is to attack unfairly?

And of all things Snubbul and Meloetta can learn close combat but not Incineroar with bulging muscles?

Yeah, it would definitely make sense for Incineroar to get those moves. But I can also definitely see how Sudowoodo, Dugtrio, and Decidueye get the surprise attack move. And...maybe Meowstic startles opponents by doing that creepy thing with its face? I ‘unno, it’s not really that fitting. As for Close Combat, they did need to give Meloetta some Fighting options for its Pirouette form, but I also don’t really see why the badly dressed bulldog puppy needed to get it.

But I can also definitely see how Sudowoodo, Dugtrio, and Decidueye get the surprise attack move. And...maybe Meowstic startles opponents by doing that creepy thing with its face?

I mean, compared to Incineroar they seem strange choices- specially since Decidueye and Incineroar are a part of a starter trio. It seems a strange choice to not give the move to Decidueye and leave it out for Incineroar.
Incineroar's moveset could use some new additions like the obvious close combat and sucker punch, along with maybe poison jab (its concept art shows it spitting poison), and high jump kick.

I also feel that the distribution of Toxic needs to be limited/nerfed.
It doesn’t make sense for steel types to learn that move, along with the healing Pokemon like Chansey, Comfey and Audino.

Back
Top Bottom