• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

the bells of joy are ringing
Reaction score
My Rhydon in Pokémon Go can learn Surf. I still don't know how.

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
My Rhydon in Pokémon Go can learn Surf. I still don't know how.
That's what everyone has been asking themselves since Gen I. No, really, this is not sarcasm. Everyone has asked themselves this at least once since it looks weird.

A hopping TOH brainrot
Reaction score
Some pokemon like deerling should be able to learn surf, because gazelles can swim

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
Another Pokémon that should learn Surf: Raticate, considering how some entries reference its ability to swim.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Is Arbok a Dragon or Dragon-related? "It's a reptile" doesn't count.
Charizard was a reptile. Sceptile. Most learned dragon related moves. If Gyarados? Ratticate and surf? Why not Dive?

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
Charizard was a reptile. Sceptile. Most learned dragon related moves. If Gyarados? Ratticate and surf? Why not Dive?
Yeah, but those Pokémon are dragon-inspired in the first place, unlike Arbok. Also, Dive is unfitting for Raticate since I don't think it can hold its breath for long enough.