• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Spirit Break and Lucario? Delphox? Deciduey?
pokemon who have spiritual relations?
Spirit Break is the signature move of Grimmsnarl. If I had to guess, GameFreak would probably give the move out to more Pokémon next generation, given its relatively generic description, but definitely not in The Crown Tundra or something during Generation 8.

I think it's kind of strange that Nuzleaf can't learn the moves Nuzzle and Grass Whistle in the games...
Grass Whistle I get, but the Nuz in Nuzleaf seems more likely to be a corruption of nose, given its Japanese name. Plus, Nuzzle is a move that specifically mentions "nuzzling its electrified cheeks", and the Seedot line can't learn any Electric moves at all.

I think Dragapult should learn Poltergeist and/or Shadow Claw. It is so dumb that their attack stat is 20 points higher than their special attack, but the only good physical ghost move they can learn is Phantom Force, which is not very reliable. They are really good as a special attacker if they have a Choice Specs, but they also have so much potential as a physical attacker they just can't utilize right now.

Considering that it's a TM now, I'm surprised that Tauros doesn't learn Tail Slap. I mean, it has three tails for crying out loud, and it learns Iron Tail and Tail Whip. Plus, Tail Slap would get STAB, giving it more of an incentive to have it in its arsenal. Sure, it's not an out-of-this-world broken move or anything, and Tauros isn't the king of battlers anymore, but considering Tauros has three tails and learns Iron Tail that Tail Slap would be a shoo-in for it.

I think Dragapult should learn Poltergeist and/or Shadow Claw. It is so dumb that their attack stat is 20 points higher than their special attack, but the only good physical ghost move they can learn is Phantom Force, which is not very reliable. They are really good as a special attacker if they have a Choice Specs, but they also have so much potential as a physical attacker they just can't utilize right now.
It's almost like GameFreak kept those moves from Dragapult on purpose. Sure, a pseudo-legendary is powerful, but not so powerful that it needs nerfs like that!

It's almost like GameFreak kept those moves from Dragapult on purpose. Sure, a pseudo-legendary is powerful, but not so powerful that it needs nerfs like that!

That would be like if they didn't give Garchomp Earthquake, except Shadow Claw isn't even close to as powerful as Earthquake and Garchomp maybe actually deserved to get nerfed. I really hope they fix this and give Dragapult some good ghost move in the Crown Tundra (if possible) or in the next games.

If Garchomp got Dragon Dance it would probably go back to Uber almost immediately. I know that the Fairy type has kept him in check for the past few generations, but having a way to reliably boost his speed and get an attack boost on top of that sounds terrifying.

Dragon Claw I get but poltergeist?

I think dragapult doesnt need nerfs we have normal types immune to those ghost moves...

If Burn up would change fire type to normal type then we could get a new strategy.... Chandelure... in future a fire/steel or fire/fairy could wall Gengar and Dragapult perfectly.

taking we got many strong pokemon like Inteleon , Rillaboom, Dragapult and other dragons Garchomp even with sword dance will have a hard time... especialy when losing a turn for it.

Interesting glassy glide to Venusaur line but maybe they add gen 2 ,3 and 6 , Meganium , Sceptile and Chesnaught later?
Torterra with a priority move? imagine the turtle getting accel rock too?

Torterra and scorching sand? with its rocks? would be a option to unfreeze iif frozen.
I would make Torterra learn those terrain associated moves and terrain pulse. even if weak sp.attack there...

I get why Torkoal, Incineroar and Cinderace got scorching sand, hope Typhlosion or even Chesnaught will too in future.

Mew learns Poltergeist?
cool that means other pokemon witch and magic related like Delphox, Hypno, Unown, gothitelle, Mr Mime, Xatu, Murcrow, hoopa, Hatterene, Jynx, Claydoll, darmanitan, malamar or oranguru should also.

what would be if poltergeist would become a multistrike move like pin missile and have a effect similar in activation of the items like Fling does??? or make it related to user and target hold items? two hit multi hit move? 60 power each hit foreach item and posibility of activating both effects???

Magic powder would be a good move for some other fairy and psychic types... Florges, Aromatise, whimiscot, delphox, diance, Ribombee, shinotic???

Tar shot, Muk, Salazzle, hope Tar shot allows a combo to when in combination with scorching sand or scald in future too...

hoped Frostmoth getting Powder would be a sure thing here... maybe next time

Jaw lack and Octolock need to get to some more pokemon with diffrent stats then the main users

Last edited:
I think dragapult doesnt need nerfs we have normal types immune to those ghost moves...
Exactly, but Dragapult doesn't have those Ghost moves. We wish it did. Dragapult needs buffs now because it was unnecessarily nerfed by the developers of SwSh. I was saying that GameFreak did not need to nerf it. So yes, what you're saying agrees with me, but I think you misunderstood a bit.
Mew learns Poltergeist?
Yes, because Mew learns every TM, TR, and Move Tutor move. It's forced to learn Poltergeist because Poltergeist is a Move Tutor move and there's no reason why Mew shouldn't learn the move.
EDIT: But for the other Pokémon you mentioned, those have to have reasons why they should learn Poltergeist. You can't just slap the move onto them like you could onto Mew. Mew only learns Poltergeist because of the move's Move Tutor status. No explanation behind that is needed to justify Mew getting the move, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Exactly, but Dragapult doesn't have those Ghost moves. We wish it did. Dragapult needs buffs now because it was unnecessarily nerfed by the developers of SwSh. I was saying that GameFreak did not need to nerf it. So yes, what you're saying agrees with me, but I think you misunderstood a bit.

shadow claw it should get actually

it has stronger phantom force, that can actually be hit with a no guard user, thats a nerf, sucker punch is also ocassional...
it has enough week defences, entry hards can weaken it down... Gale wings still moves faster... taking it could use shadow sneak...

yes maybe a little....

what if Poltergeist could get bounce back by Magic Bounce??? only a idea.

what if Poltergeist could get bounce back by Magic Bounce??? only a idea.

I think Poltergeist is already a balanced move since it requires to opponent to be holding an item. With Knock Off being so common in the modern competitive scene and (to my knowledge) Poltergeist not working on a Pokemon that has had their item knocked off, I think that's already something that people need to work around when using Poltergeist. If it is deemed to be too powerful even with this caveat, they could do something in the future to have certain abilities block it or have it not work with certain items.

Why can't Obstagoon learn Sucker Punch? Pokémon.com says this:
Though Obstagoon is extremely combative, it seems that it doesn’t often launch the first attack. It will taunt an opponent, goading it into attacking. When it does, Obstagoon will cross its arms and meet the oncoming attack with its Obstruct move.
I know that last sentence highlights Obstruct, but it could very well apply to Sucker Punch as well, just with a different description. Considering Obstagoon's unspectacular speed stat of 95, it needs a priority move. The whole Galarian Zigzagoon line does lack Quick Attack, come to think of it, but I'm pretty sure the Hoennian line does, so that's another move that the Galarian Zigzagoon line should learn.

That's honestly a really cool explanation as to why he doesn't have any priority moves. I was initially a little disappointed when I found out they couldn't get Sucker Punch or Extremespeed, but I figured they didn't want him having super strong priority moves to pair with Guts for balancing purposes. But them taking the description of the move Obstruct and making it a personality trait for Obstagoon as a whole along with the description of the move is very clever and GameFreak needs to do more stuff like that in the future.

It [Obstagoon] will taunt an opponent, goading it into attacking. When it does...
Yeah, I meant that when the opponent attacks, Obstagoon should use it as an opportunity to strike first with a surprise attack right after. After all, Taunt + Sucker Punch is a nice move combination that Obstagoon would probably use provided it could learn the priority move, albeit Obstagoon would use Sucker Punch on the second turn.

EDIT: But denying the evolutionary line access to Quick Attack? Even if the quote I showed explains it, that is a bit strange imo, considering Zigzagoon and Linoone exist.

I completely agree that at least Heonn Linoone should learn Quick Attack. I could also easily understand G Linoone learning it as well since their speed is the same. Although I personally would have taken 10 or even 20 away from their speed and given it to G Linoone's attack in order to differentiate them from each other a bit. Having 80-90 attack and 90-80 speed would still be really good, and G Linoone could use that extra attack since it doesn't learn Belly Drum. If G Linoone's speed were actually lower than H Linoone I would completely understand why it wouldn't have Quick Attack from a conceptual standpoint, but as it is right now it does make no sense for neither Linoone to have it.

Back
Top Bottom