• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

I’ve recently noticed that Clawitzer still can’t learn Hydro Pump even after it became a TR.

But you know who can?

Aggron and Rhyperior.

While I do agree that Clawitzer not learning Hydro Pump is very odd, Rhyperior I can somewhat understand. Remember, Rhyperior has pseudo cannons in each of its hands. Those "cannon" are often used to fire rocks so it's not too much of a stretch for it to be able to fire water from them since the natural cannon-like propulsion is already there. Plus, as stated numerous times here, it already learns Surf which is already odd for a Ground/Rock type, so it already has the means of using a Water move. So, yeah, Rhyperior I can somewhat understand due to the whole cannon motif its arms possess. As for Aggron, that one I find more odd in this regard, as it doesn't have the whole cannon thing going for it, although, like Rhyhorn and Rhyperior, it can also learn Surf. So, while I do agree that Clawitzer not learning the move is odd and Aggron is to degree, Rhyperior is somewhat understandable when you look at its natural biology and see the cannon-like parts of its arms, thus the ability to fire streams of water from those holes isn't exactly that farfetched when it already uses it for rocks.

Now that we are talking about it: Rhyhorn (and by extension it's evolved forms as well), talk about how it ''charges and smashs everything in it's path'' and how ''it keeps running when charges at stuff'', and they can all learn quite a lot of electric moves, like Thunder Fang/Punch, Thunderbolt and Thunder. And also! It has both Reckless and Rock Head when it evolves (okay it loses Rock Head but okay...).

Then I ask you my friends:

...WHY CAN'T IT LEARN WILD CHARGE??????

It [Rhyhorn] has both Reckless and Rock Head when it evolves (okay it loses Rock Head but okay...).

Then I ask you my friends:

...WHY CAN'T IT LEARN WILD CHARGE??????
Perhaps for that particular reason, that whoever gave it its moveset didn't want it to be able to take advantage of Reckless/Rock Head? And/or, it could be because Wild Charge isn't as distributed to non-Electric-types as much as Thunder/bolt/Fang/Punch are. I'm just grasping at straws, though.

Perhaps for that particular reason, that whoever gave it its moveset didn't want it to be able to take advantage of Reckless/Rock Head? And/or, it could be because Wild Charge isn't as distributed to non-Electric-types as much as Thunder/bolt/Fang/Punch are. I'm just grasping at straws, though.
I get it but... Then what's the point? Why give 2 actually pretty good habilities and just... NOT give it anything to take advantage out of it? The only moves it can learn that get any use out of it are Double-Edge, Submission and Take Down, super underwhelming moves. One is pretty much useless and the other two can only be gotten through transfer from older generations, something that not only is not available to everybody, but at the same time, rather pointless.

I get it but... Then what's the point? Why give 2 actually pretty good abilities and just... NOT give it anything to take advantage out of it? The only moves it can learn that get any use out of it are Double-Edge, Submission and Take Down, super underwhelming moves. One is pretty much useless and the other two can only be gotten through transfer from older generations, something that not only is not available to everybody, but at the same time, rather pointless.
Giving it head smash would be awesome for this.

Reviving this thread cuz something just came to my attention:

Sigilyph can learn Ice Beam???????
It’s implied that Sigilyph is either a manmade guardian like Golurk or some kind of arcane deity, so that kinda excuses weird logic there.

Oh, Golurk can learn Ice Beam too. Maybe I’m onto something.

Back
Top Bottom