• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Hitting with Tail=/=Punch and WHY CAN DIGLETT LEARN SCRATCH? Does it use it's head or something???
AF79D8EA-D281-4AA0-9DD1-D6C8371ED3FC.jpeg

Fellas. Sirfetch’d can’t learn sacred sword. Yikes.
It gets funnier once you realize that since it's in the ''Field'' egg group, it CAN breed with an Smeargle that knows Sacred Sword in order to get it, just like Oshawott.

The only reason I see as to why it doesn't gets it then in that none of the Swords of Justice where available prior to the DLCs. So I guess they didn't wanted to update the egg moves ''chart'' (?)

Can we even call it an chart? :unsure:

It gets funnier once you realize that since it's in the ''Field'' egg group, it CAN breed with an Smeargle that knows Sacred Sword in order to get it, just like Oshawott.

The only reason I see as to why it doesn't gets it then in that none of the Swords of Justice where available prior to the DLCs. So I guess they didn't wanted to update the egg moves ''chart'' (?)

Tbh, even that shouldn't be an issue, since Sirfetch'd is the kind of Pokemon who you'd expect would get Sacred Sword by level regardless.

Wait, but Smeargle is not available in Sword and Shield, and neither is the Oshawott line. Although the Swords of Justice were available in Sword and Shield before the DLCs, none of them can breed, because they are legendary Pokémon in the Undiscovered Egg Group. Those might be some of the only reasons why Sirfetch'd can't learn Sacred Sword—due to technical reasons. :oops:
Tbh, even that shouldn't be an issue, since Sirfetch'd is the kind of Pokemon who you'd expect would get Sacred Sword by level regardless.
Actually, I forgot that giving Sacred Sword by level-up was also a possibility. :bulbaFacepalm: But yeah, Sirfetch'd not getting Sacred Sword is strange to me also.

Maybe it creates claws around its hand with ghost or dark energy
Yeah, okay, but keep in mind, every other mon who gets it DOES have claws. The only one you could MAYBE argue against is Digglet/Dugtrio, but at least in their case, it's been highly implied that it does has paws with claws, they are just hidden underground 24/7.

Essentially it works cuz the mon transfers ''ghost energy'' to it's claws in order to attack. The same logic can be applied to the Elemental Punches and Fangs, Dragon Claw and Tail, Iron Tail, etc.

But the problem is that Meloetta just,,, doesn't have any claws or any sort of ''straight edge'' on it's hands to use it, u know? The same applies to Hone Claws: how can you sharpen something you don't have?

Yeah, okay, but keep in mind, every other mon who gets it DOES have claws. The only one you could MAYBE argue against is Digglet/Dugtrio, but at least in their case, it's been highly implied that it does has paws with claws, they are just hidden underground 24/7.

Essentially it works cuz the mon transfers ''ghost energy'' to it's claws in order to attack. The same logic can be applied to the Elemental Punches and Fangs, Dragon Claw and Tail, Iron Tail, etc.

But the problem is that Meloetta just,,, doesn't have any claws or any sort of ''straight edge'' on it's hands to use it, u know? The same applies to Hone Claws: how can you sharpen something you don't have?
I alawys though of it like this:
pixil-frame-0 - 2021-02-10T165222.084.png

Why dont we see them when it attacks?

Cause he is really fast. 95 base speed is amazing.

Apparently Mewtwo can learn Dive,but he cannot learn Surf. How is that possible?

Cryogonal can learn attract. But he has no gender...

Slowpoke line can learn Flamethrower, Gyarados makes sense cause he is a monster and Octillery is based on a cannon. But Slowpoke?¿?

Same with Centiskorch and Emboar learning scald. Coalossal and Volcanion can learn it but they are related to vapor so it makes sende.

To this day I'm surprised that Forretress can't learn U-turn. It can learn Volt Switch, sure, but considering it's a Bug-type the fact it can't learn U-turn is strange. Especially since it would feed off of its better Attack stat over Volt Switch's Special Attack. I know it can learn a few Elec moves like Zap Cannon thus Volt Switch isn't farfetched, but why can't it learn U-turn when it's a freaking Bug Mon?

Come to think of it, Galvantula also can't learn U-turn despite being a Bug-type. While, yeah, it gets Volt Switch, too, at least it's an actual Elec Mon so Volt Switch makes sense. But it doesn't get U-turn either despite also being a Bug-type. Why is that?

And speaking of U-turn, I'm surprised it took Blaziken until Gen 8 to actually learn the move, too, as it couldn't learn it until the Crown Tundra DLC. While Blaziken is better geared for head-on assaults, the fact that fellow Fire Starters Infernape, Incineroar, and Cinderace all get it makes me wonder why it took Blaziken this long to get it?

Back
Top Bottom