• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

I think it's because Breaking Swipe is more of a tail slap type attack over a claw one, hence why Onix and Kingdra can learn it. However, I do agree that it makes it no less odd, as Nido duo, Aggron, and Druddigon do have fairly impressive tails to begin with, especially Nidoking, who's tail is often described as being able to break things like they were matchsticks in some dex data, if memory serves. So, while I feel that Breaking Swipe is not a claw-based move, I do agree that it's very odd that the Mons you mentioned lack the move regardless.

EDIT: Yeah, I was right. It's a tail-type attack, not a claw-based one. Here's the official description: "The user swings its tough tail wildly and attacks opposing Pokémon. This also lowers their Attack stats." As a result, that explains why Onix and Kingdra can learn it, as they both have pretty decent sized tails, but it doesn't explain why the others can't, since they do have impressive tails themselves.

Regidraco doesn't have a tail and still gets it (GRanted, it doesn't have Claws either). Either way, Aurorus not learning it is odd as well... same with Wooper. If Wooper can use its tail to use Ice Punch, it should be able to use Breaking Swipe.

Regidraco doesn't have a tail and still gets it (GRanted, it doesn't have Claws either). Either way, Aurorus not learning it is odd as well... same with Wooper. If Wooper can use its tail to use Ice Punch, it should be able to use Breaking Swipe.

Well, Regidraco is a Dragon-type, so that might be why it gets it even though it lacks any means of actually using it (unless it just swings its dragon head-shaped arms around to replicate swinging a tail, at least I guess). Aurorus is also strange, given it's a dinosaur, but Wooper isn't, as not only is its tail very small, but it isn't remotely reptilian to qualify for being "dragon-like". But, either way, it's yet another strange anomaly of GF's mentality of move distribution.

Okay, that's not an move but an ability, but it just strikes me as odd that Absol, the Pokémon that literally warns people from disasters, doesn't has Forewarn as one of it's abilities.

Like, it's perfect for it, and yet it doesn't gets it.

Okay, that's not an move but an ability, but it just strikes me as odd that Absol, the Pokémon that literally warns people from disasters, doesn't has Forewarn as one of it's abilities.

Like, it's perfect for it, and yet it doesn't gets it.
To be fair, Abilities are tough because you only get 1-3 slots per Pokémon. All of Absol’s current Abilities do make sense for it (although you could make the case that Forewarn fits better than one of them). It happens often, actually. Like, why can’t Stoutland have Fur Coat? Or why can’t Golem or Regirock have Solid Rock?

You also have to consider competitive viability. Some Abilities would make some Pokémon really powerful (like Speed Boost Latios) while others, like Forewarn, are pretty lackluster or even outright bad.

To be fair, Abilities are tough because you only get 1-3 slots per Pokémon. All of Absol’s current Abilities do make sense for it (although you could make the case that Forewarn fits better than one of them). It happens often, actually. Like, why can’t Stoutland have Fur Coat? Or why can’t Golem or Regirock have Solid Rock?

You also have to consider competitive viability. Some Abilities would make some Pokémon really powerful (like Speed Boost Latios) while others, like Forewarn, are pretty lackluster or even outright bad.
I would argue that the cases you said are mostly because these abilities were introduced in later generations tho. Like, Fur Coat makes sense for Stoutland, but it was only in gen 6 it came to the game, and even then, it was Furfrou's signature Ability until gen 7 were Alolan Persian was created. So yeah, it would make sense, but I can see this excuse being made.

But Forewan was made in gen 4, and Absol didn't had Justified yet, since it only gained it in Unova. And while I can see Pressure and Super Luck making sense, Justified it's weird tbh. I honestly don't know why it got it.

I would argue that the cases you said are mostly because these abilities were introduced in later generations tho. Like, Fur Coat makes sense for Stoutland, but it was only in gen 6 it came to the game, and even then, it was Furfrou's signature Ability until gen 7 were Alolan Persian was created. So yeah, it would make sense, but I can see this excuse being made.

But Forewan was made in gen 4, and Absol didn't had Justified yet, since it only gained it in Unova. And while I can see Pressure and Super Luck making sense, Justified it's weird tbh. I honestly don't know why it got it.
Dream World/Hidden Abilities weren’t introduced until gen 5, though. So the choice would have been between Forewarn or Justified and one was clearly more useful than the other. Granted, they don’t always choose a more useful option, but Id assume most people would prefer it if they did especially if it’s a Hidden Ability.

There’s also plenty of examples of Pokémon that were introduced in a generation that had other Abilities that fit for it like Comfey not getting Healer or Oranguru not getting Magic Guard.

Well, Regidraco is a Dragon-type, so that might be why it gets it even though it lacks any means of actually using it (unless it just swings its dragon head-shaped arms around to replicate swinging a tail, at least I guess). Aurorus is also strange, given it's a dinosaur, but Wooper isn't, as not only is its tail very small, but it isn't remotely reptilian to qualify for being "dragon-like". But, either way, it's yet another strange anomaly of GF's mentality of move distribution.

Druddigon is Dragon as well.

I mean, if Dragon type or being Dragon like justifies getting the move in the first place, Aerodactyl and Skarmory also qualify

Omg, just noticed Drampa can learn it, but Turtonator can't. Another odd one.

Speaking of Druddigon, with all the references the Pokedex makes to how it uses its wings to soak up sunlight, it's a little weird that it can't learn Synthesis to reflect this.
Synthesis is a reference to photosynthesis which is a process that only plants can perform. Sunbathing is a common practice for cold-blooded creatures like reptiles and dragons which is unrelated to photosynthesis.

Synthesis is a reference to photosynthesis which is a process that only plants can perform. Sunbathing is a common practice for cold-blooded creatures like reptiles and dragons which is unrelated to photosynthesis.
Yes, I'm aware, I guess I just think it'd be nice for Druddigon to have a recovery move. Also, the way the Pokedex words it implies that Druddigon's sunbathing is also a form of recovering stamina, which is why I made that suggestion. So if Synthesis wouldn't work, then I guess give it Morning Sun instead.

Yes, I'm aware, I guess I just think it'd be nice for Druddigon to have a recovery move. Also, the way the Pokedex words it implies that Druddigon's sunbathing is also a form of recovering stamina, which is why I made that suggestion. So if Synthesis wouldn't work, then I guess give it Morning Sun instead.
I like the idea of Morning Sun. I wish a lot more Pokémon learned that move in the first place.

I was just mindlessly browsing through Bulbapedia and I just saw something that caught my attention.

These are some of Gorebyss's dex entries:

''A Gorebyss siphons the body fluids of prey through its thin, tubular mouth. Its light pink body color turns vivid when it finishes feeding.'' (Emerald)

''It sucks bodily fluids out of its prey. The leftover meat sinks to the seafloor, where it becomes food for other Pokémon.'' (Ultra Moon)

Judging from those entries, it only sucks what I presume to be blood and other fluids from it's prey, since it seems to lack teeth to actually eat the flesh unlike it's counterpart Huntail. I mean, the ''Gore'' part of it's name comes from the verb ''gore'' wich means to stab.

So, how come it cannot learn Leech Life? The japanese name is literally ''Suck Blood''. That's weird tbh.

Also, speaking of Leech Life, why exactly does Sandshrew and Sandslash have acess to it?

Like, what?

It does gets some other Bug moves, but at least it makes sense: Fury Cutter and X-Scissor due to it's super sharp claws and Pin Missile in Sandslash's case due to it's spikes in it's back. And this amount of Bug moves seems to be just some coverage against Grass, which is reasonable. But Leech Life? HOW? It doesn't has any big fangs or anything of the sort to use it?

Maybe in Lickitung's case it's using it's tongue? I mean, it can sor of work as an arm (?).

But Cranidos? Yep, I don't see how.

Considering Lickitung and Lickilicky can also learn Power Whip (Using their tongue), i can see the argument of them using their tongue to use Hammer Arm.

Speaking of Lickitung and Lickilicky.

How do they learn Body Press or Body Slam, but not Heavy Slam.

How can they learn Dragon tail (Pre-Gen 8) but not learn Breaking Swipe in gen 8.

Back
Top Bottom