• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

It’s always bugged me that Purrloin and Liepard can’t learn any biting moves, given that’s how cats kill their prey.
This is the case for most housecat-based Pokemon, though: the Meowth line is literally the only one in the housecat category that gets access to Bite. It might have something to do with the stereotype that biting are more associated with dogs whereas clawing and slashing is more associated with cats.

Stranegly, though, it's very much reversed with Pokemon based on big cats, since most of those tend to get biting moves but not slashing/clawing ones, with the Litten line being the only one that gets at least one of both.

Plus, that would force players to dedicate a third spot for an HM user to get around Sinnoh. Especially since Gen 4 was the first generation that made Surf have friendly fire.

Bidoof learning Surf makes a million times more sense than a bull (Tauros) or a rock rhinocerosaurus (the Ryhorn line) learning it. It's not like the Water-type coverage does anything useful for those guys anyway, since their abyssmal Special Attacks means they'll hardly dent anything with it even if it has a major weakness to Water.

Well, bovines can swim
By that logic, though, any Pokemon based on an animal that can swim should also be able to learn Surf. And the list of animals that swim is... extensive, to say the least. In fact, I think it'd probably be faster to list the animals that can't swim even in desperate situations.

Heck, you can count Gastly and Wooper learning punching moves despite not even having hands.

Heck, you can count Gastly and Wooper learning punching moves despite not even having hands.
Technically these are something of a reversal of the coccoons, Alakazam, and Primeape. At least those have the excuse that their pre-volutions get the anatomically impossible moves because it actually is anatomically possible for those pre-evos and removing such moves from the volved forms' pools would probably be too much of a coding hassle anyway. Gastly and Wooper, meanwhile, could do with not having any punching moves, since it's not infrequent for certain moves to only be accessible to evolved forms anyway, and Quagsire and Haunter and Gengar have the necessary arms to perform those.

That's because it's their pre-evos that learn the move, not the coccons.

Obviously but that's not the point I was trying to make. I said that I don't know how they can use that move, not how they learn it. It doesn't make sense that Pokemon without mouths can use an attack that involves biting. It's the biological aspect that I'm confused about, not the origin of where they learn Bug Bite from.

Obviously but that's not the point I was trying to make. I said that I don't know how they can use that move, not how they learn it. It doesn't make sense that Pokemon without mouths can use an attack that involves biting. It's the biological aspect that I'm confused about, not the origin of where they learn Bug Bite from.
The origin matters, because that's where a pokemon shoudl/shouldn't be able to learn a move, sicne you can't just remove moves from a pokemon when they evolve.

Back
Top Bottom