• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

They get Sludge Bomb I think. At least in Let's Go I believe.

They've been able to learn Sludge Bomb via TM since Gen 3, the current conversation was about Pokemon that are lacking moves of their type in their level up moveset. The Bulbasaur line does learn Poison type moves by TM, but they only learn Poison Powder by level up, not any attacking Poison type moves.

They've been able to learn Sludge Bomb via TM since Gen 3, the current conversation was about Pokemon that are lacking moves of their type in their level up moveset. The Bulbasaur line does learn Poison type moves by TM, but they only learn Poison Powder by level up, not any attacking Poison type moves.
Must not have read the whole post. My bad.

Hey, at least the Bulbasaur line gets even that. The Gastly line, despite being part Poison type, learn no Poison type moves at all by level up except in Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee where they get a whopping three: Smog, Poison Gas, and Toxic. But they don't get those in any other game for some reason. (Why haven't they gotten Smog and Poison Gas since the very beginning though? I mean, Gastly's literally made of poisonous gases.)

Last edited:
Does anyone else think it's downright criminal that Toedscruel can't get Strength Sap? Synthesis I can understand it not having because this is a fungus rather than a plant, but for this Pokémon to not have Strength Sap is nuts. And it would have actually worked pretty well with how Mycelium Might forces Todescruel into being a tank while also letting the Attack stat drop ignore abilities like Clear Body.
For being a move it can't learn, this sure is such a logical and practical choice for that Pokémon's appearance and playstyle...

For an addendum, Amoongus should drop Synthesis for Strength Sap.

Does anyone else think it's downright criminal that Toedscruel can't get Strength Sap? Synthesis I can understand it not having because this is a fungus rather than a plant, but for this Pokémon to not have Strength Sap is nuts. And it would have actually worked pretty well with how Mycelium Might forces Todescruel into being a tank while also letting the Attack stat drop ignore abilities like Clear Body.
For being a move it can't learn, this sure is such a logical and practical choice for that Pokémon's appearance and playstyle...

For an addendum, Amoongus should drop Synthesis for Strength Sap.
You forgot that Strength Sap was originally exclusive to Shiinotic, an actual fungi Pokemon. It wasn't until Gen 8 that its distribution was expanded.

Speaking of Strength Sap, Wo-Chien should get it too. Not only does it fit its theme perfectly, but it'd make it a lot better than it is currently, and since Wo-Chien is currently the weakest of the Treasures of Ruin, a little buff would be nice.

It puzzles me that the Bagon line can't learn Scale Shot, not even by move tutor, yet Roaring Moon gets it.

I'm guessing this is because Roaring Moon's wings are feathery looking, whereas the Bagon line doesn't have anything on their bodies that resembles scales. Although in all fairness, there are a few Pokemon that can learn it that are questionable (particularly some of the Dragon type legendaries, Pokemon like Dialga, Palkia, Zekrom, Kyurem, and Regidrago have fairly solid bodies and don't look like they have any body part that resembles a scale they can shoot out), so if they can, I guess the Bagon line can too.

Why can't Froslass learn Freeze-Dry like its sibling Glalie? Its dex says it likes to freeze its prey into living decorations, this would fit it well.

Yeah thats odd.

I feel like siblings/related Pokemon should have too an extent the same movesets, especially regarding their typings.

Like Glalie can learn Trailblaze via TM, while Froslass can't. Thats also a weird one.

It puzzles me that the Bagon line can't learn Scale Shot, not even by move tutor, yet Roaring Moon gets it.
Well... the only in-universe explanation I can think of is because, considering that Roaring Moon is supposed to be either a very distant past relative to modern-day Salamence or even a pre-historical version of it, it could mean that, at one point, Salamence could use Scale Shot but, at one specific point in time, it lost this ability. Possibly because, as @Bolt Strike noted, Roaring Moon's wings do look feathery/scaly, and the modern-day Salamance looks pretty smooth all over.

It's not a super good thing from a gameplay perspective, but from a storytelling/lore perspective, it's actually pretty neat, as stuff like this has happened countless time irl to multiple species.

But lore aside, yeah, I do think it should get it.

Back
Top Bottom