• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Doduo/Dodrio learning Steel Wing. They don't even have WINGS, so how can they use Steel Wing without wings?
Actually, apparently Doduo does have wings, they are just atrophied (and presumably hidden in the fluffy feathers). So technically possible if likely incredibly awkward to use and painful to learn. Now why Dodrio can learn it... No clue. Them learning Iron Head would at least make a bit of sense, and Double Iron Bash would have been an awesome signature move for Doduo and could upgrade to Triple Iron Bash for Dodrio. But what really confuses me is why they didn't let Doduo/Dodrio learn Metal Claw!? It was introduced in the same Gen as Steel Wing and would have made WAY more sense- just LOOK at their claws and the strength of their legs, their claws should be just as important as their beaks to attack with, and they NATURALLY learn three different moves explicitly involving their beaks, and at least one other that they probably use their beaks for too! But any clear claw moves? NO! Not even many kicking moves!

I find it rather puzzling that Houndoom, Pyroar, Hisuian Typhlosion, and Emboar can't learn Scorching Sands despite many other Fire-types getting it.

Last edited:
So, considering Leavanny can learn Triple Axel, it should be able to learn Axe Kick and Triple Kick as well. Ice Spinner also makes sense in this context and if Gamefreak ever deicdes to take out Aqua Step as a signature move for Quaquaval, Leavanny should learn that as well.

You know what's surprising? Salazzle not learning Attract, it literally makes itself attractive to male Salandits to force them to serve it. Not only that, but it has been stated that it also had made itself attractive to male members of other species too.

So again, a Pokemon whose nature is to attract males can't learn the move that allows it to do so. So yes, Salazzle should be able to learn Attract.

You know what's surprising? Salazzle not learning Attract, it literally makes itself attractive to male Salandits to force them to serve it. Not only that, but it has been stated that it also had made itself attractive to male members of other species too.

So again, a Pokemon whose nature is to attract males can't learn the move that allows it to do so. So yes, Salazzle should be able to learn Attract.
I figure that there is a difference in using the move and just simply doing something to attract males.

The fact that Emboar still can't learn Fire Punch via Level Up baffles me. Many of its dex entries state it "launches flaming punches", aka: Fire Punch, yet it can only learn Fire Punch via Move Tutor and, later on, a TM. How can this Mon still not learn Fire Punch via Level Up? I know a number of dex entries need to be taken with a grain of salt sometimes (like how Magcargo is hotter than the sun?!?) but still, in this case, it not only makes perfect sense for it to learn the move naturally, yet it somehow still doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom