• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Mew can learn attract even through it's a genderless Pokemon.

Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie should learn Power Gem because they have gems on their foreheads and tails, and the move exclusive to Pokemon that has gem-like features.

The only reason for Mew being able to learn attract is the fact that Mew is the only Pokemon able to learn EVERY TM and HM move, and Attract is TM 45 in XY.

Zapdos should learn Hurricane. It is the only one of the bird trio who can't. And on top of this, it is a thunderbird. So why is the thunderbird of all things not allowed to learn this attack? Especially as there are so few flying type special attacks anyway.
It still pisses me off to this day why Articuno and Moltres can learn Hurricane but not Zapdos, Hurricane would be an incredible move to Zapdos's movepool and it's the bird that can take the most advantage of it (Grass types resist its Electric type moves).

Nobody has mentioned Entei and its complete inability to learn Earthquake. Typhlosion can but for no reason at all Entei still can't learn Earthquake. Then there's Aerodactyl and Brave Bird, Snorlax and Slack Off, and all those Pokemon who can only learn one of the dual screens. That makes no sense to me. How can a Pokemon learn Light Screen but not Reflect?

Electivire can learn Flamethrower, but Electabuzz can't. What the heck is up with that?

How do you even figure Lucario can't learn Knock Off, Mach Punch or Bullet Punch? Come on!
You're right that Lucario can't learn Knock Off or Mach Punch, but it can learn Bullet Punch via breeding, so if you want a Lucario that knows Bullet Punch, you have that as an option.

Going back on topic, I agree with practically all of these in some way, shape, or form. Now that I think about it, how the heck can Primape even use Iron Tail, even though it doesn't have a tail (at least a visible one)? I understand that it can use the move as a Mankey, but as a Primape? You'd think it would forget the move when it evolves, but no. It can still use the move for some inexplicable reason. I never understood that one.

Lucario can learn Thunder Punch, Ice Punch and Blaze Kick but not Fire Punch? Something's a bit inconsistent here.

Ferroseed/thorn and Larvesta/Volcarona can't learn Attract despite having genders while Cryogonal can despite being genderless.

Hawlucha can't learn Brave Bird despite being able to learn Fly, Sky Drop and being a bird. A real shame too since it has a good STAB combination.

Scrafty can't learn Acid, Acid Spray or Gastro Acid despite being able to spit acid according to its Pokedex entry in Pokemon Black.

Talonflame can't learn Blaze Kick despite its Pokemon Y Pokedex entry.

Lucario can learn Thunder Punch, Ice Punch and Blaze Kick but not Fire Punch? Something's a bit inconsistent here.

Well, Lucario is partly a Steel-type. Kinda makes sense that fire is off-limits.

Ferroseed/thorn and Larvesta/Volcarona can't learn Attract despite having genders while Cryogonal can despite being genderless.

Ahahaha! I never noticed that. That IS ridiculous.

How do you even figure Lucario can't learn Knock Off, Mach Punch or Bullet Punch? Come on!
You're right that Lucario can't learn Knock Off or Mach Punch, but it can learn Bullet Punch via breeding, so if you want a Lucario that knows Bullet Punch, you have that as an option.

Hmm, must be a glitch in Pokemon Showdown -- they won't let you have a Lucario with Bullet Punch.

Well, Lucario is partly a Steel-type. Kinda makes sense that fire is off-limits.

Which is why I mentioned it can learn Blaze Kick. If it can make fire on its feet and not hurt itself then it should be able to do the same to its hands since it can make electricity and ice.

Amaura/Aurorus can't learn Power Gem despite its Y entry talking about its crystals having special powers. A shame too since it's once in a blue moon we get a specially focused rock type and it can't learn the staple special Rock move.

Umbreon is described in its old dex entries as spraying poisonous sweat from its pores when mad. Yet it doesn't naturally learn any poison moves, though we don't really have any moves that could be this ability, toxic perhaps? If that was so then maybe it should have learned it naturally.

Emboar doesn't learn Close Combat. Granted it still wouldn't have gotten that far but it would have been helpful. And don't say Emboar is too fat and heavy to use it because Hariyama can and is taller and heavier than Emboar. Emboar also can't learn Fire Punch despite nearly all of its dex entries saying it fights with flaming fists.

Dedenne doesn't learn any special fairy type moves despite stranger things being able to use Dazzling Gleam.

In order to get the famous Focus Punch Breloom it needs the move bred into it. However Shroomish has no arms so what does it hit you with? My best guess would be its feet. Gamefreak should have just added Focus Punch to Breloom's natural level up set somewhere.

A bit off topic but Rampardos doesn't have Rock Head as its ability despite its inspiration and all the headbutting moves it learns. Here's hoping for a Mega Rampardos with that ability and greatly increased speed too.

Last edited:

Which is why I mentioned it can learn Blaze Kick. If it can make fire on its feet and not hurt itself then it should be able to do the same to its hands since it can make electricity and ice.

Oh! Didn't notice that. Yeah, you're right.

In order to get the famous Focus Punch Breloom it needs the move bred into it. However Shroomish has no arms so what does it hit you with? My best guess would be its feet. Gamefreak should have just added Focus Punch to Breloom's natural level up set somewhere.

Heh, GF seems to take great liberties with the concept of "punches."

Breloom can learn Focus Punch via TM in Gens III and IV, though, you don't have to breed it in. Though IMO it should just be a Relearn move like Chesnaught's Belly Drum.

A bit off topic but Rampardos doesn't have Rock Head as its ability despite its inspiration and all the headbutting moves it learns. Here's hoping for a Mega Rampardos with that ability and greatly increased speed too.

I'm NOT hoping for increased speed -- it'd send Rampardos skyrocketing to the upper echelons of OU, with the risk of ending up Uber-banned, and I don't want that. But Rock Head is definitely a must for MegaRamp.

*sudden realization*

Mega Breloom :eek:~

Snorlax + Slack Off: Considering that Snorlax is the original lazy Pokemon, it seems a bit odd to me that Snorlax still doesn't get Slack Off.
Pinsir + Megahorn: Pinsir is the stag beetle to Heracross's rhinoceros beetle, so it should share Heracross's signature move.
Forretress + U-Turn: This thing learns only Volt Switch even though there's a Bug move that does the same thing. trollfreak plz
Miltank + Rapid Spin: This thing has been shown spinning to use Rollout in the past, so it might as well get Rapid Spin.
All Flying Pokemon that can't learn Fly: If a Pidgey can Fly me halfway across the region, Scyther should be able to too.

All I could think of for now, but I might post more later.

Heliolisk cannot learn Solarbeam or Dazzling Gleam despite being a Pokémon based on light, yet it can learn Dark Pulse.

Dazzling Gleam's original name is Magical Shine, and there's not really anything magical about Heliolisk (why they changed the name is beyond me...).

For mine I'd say that Infernape and its line shouldn't learn Slack Off because there's nothing stereotypically lazy about them.

Seviper is called the Fang Snake Pokemon, but it cannot learn Fire, Ice, or Thunder Fang in any shape or form, yet can learn Poison Fang, along with Bite and Crunch. At the same time, Ekans and Arbok can learn the Elemental Fangs, yet their fangs are quite a bit smaller. Both are based off snakes, so why is that Ekans and Arbok can learn the Fang attacks while Seviper cannot, despite being called the Fang Snake Pokemon?

I just found out recently that Beheeyem can learn Steel Wing. I sure hope its hitting the opponent with the invisible UFO it has stashed off screen because my brain will short out trying to imagine how this is even possible.

Anything that isn't a Grass Type learning Bullet Seed. Grass types supposedly make the seeds themselves using their anatomy but how does something like Cinccino, Remoraid, Mantine or Heracross use this move? They must have eaten a lot of watermelons before going into battle.

I just found out recently that Beheeyem can learn Steel Wing. I sure hope its hitting the opponent with the invisible UFO it has stashed off screen because my brain will short out trying to imagine how this is even possible.

Anything that isn't a Grass Type learning Bullet Seed. Grass types supposedly make the seeds themselves using their anatomy but how does something like Cinccino, Remoraid, Mantine or Heracross use this move? They must have eaten a lot of watermelons before going into battle.

The Beheeyem thing is likely an oversight, in Gen V TM 51 was Ally Switch and Beheeyem could learn it, but when it got replaced by Steel Wing I guess the developers forgot to make it uncompatible with it.

So here's a problem regarding the eeveelutions. Specifically, umbreon, who can't learn knock off, despite the fact that leafeon can. Okay sure, leafeon has a better use for it, now its been powered up, but umbreon's the dark type! She should learn knock off, if any of them can!

Or, an alternate argument, maybe the reason for this is because of physical strength? As shown by leafeon's physical attack, he's pretty strong. Maybe that's why.

...So why is flareon unable to learn it then?

I've wondered for a long time why Umbreon can't learn thief.

Also, why is lick a ghost move? How are ghosts able to lick anything?

Back
Top Bottom