• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Well I found out that Snorlax can learn self destruct today

1 Seismitoad should be able to learn waterfall. In fact, all water-type pokemon should be able to learn it, it's a move you need to progress.

2 Diancie should know power gem.

None of the early birds (Pidgeot, Swellow etc) except Talonflame can learn Acrobatics, in-fact few pokemon based on birds do. Certainly would have given Unfezant more use in story clearing.

Talonflame also learns Swords Dance and Bulk Up, which none of the previous regional birds can. My pet theory is that they were playing favourites with it to make it good. Like Diggersby getting Huge Power when all the previous early mammals suck.

Something that bothers me at times is ice types not reliably being able to learn water moves, despite water types learning ice moves. A particular example of this is glaceon, who seems to have been personally insulted in this way.

Ever since her introduction, glaceon has been teased with the prospect of learning water moves, but is yet to actually learn anything good. This is made even worse by her lacking movepool, which water really would complement quite nicely. But still, in her introduction in gen 4, she learned water pulse. A nice move, but rather lacking in power. Acknowledging this, in gen 5, she was given a stronger water move. Aqua tail. Which is physical. Come on, this is just plain rude.

Also, if Mew can learn all the moves via TM/tutor, why can't Arceus? It can learn a large number of moves anyway, so why not just make it all of them. If the lore is to be believed, that Arceus created the pokemon world, then he also created all the moves, right?

Also, if Mew can learn all the moves via TM/tutor, why can't Arceus? It can learn a large number of moves anyway, so why not just make it all of them. If the lore is to be believed, that Arceus created the pokemon world, then he also created all the moves, right?

Not Necessarily.. He didn't create all Pokemon (Any of them, depending on interpretation)
So why would you assume he created all Pokemon Moves (or even any of them)?

Not Necessarily.. He didn't create all Pokemon (Any of them, depending on interpretation)
So why would you assume he created all Pokemon Moves (or even any of them)?
I was extrapolating from the facts and came to an untestable hypothesis. In the end it boils down to.. "pokemon logic". But even so, as the alpha pokemon and supreme being of pokemon world, it would make sense for him to learn all the same moves that Mew could learn.

Diglett and Dugtrio can learn cut- and claw- based moves like cut, slash, shadow claw and hone claws. WHY??? Where are their claws?

Flash has a very weird distribution. Mostly learnable by grass, electric, psychic, bug, fairy, and some normal types, there are some real bizarre potential users. There are only 6 fire-types that can use flash, and three of them are in the same evolution family. Other strange users are Koffing, Umbreon, Sableye, Absol, Spiritomb, Drapion, Dusknoir, Darkrai (to name a few.)

Flash has a very weird distribution. Mostly learnable by grass, electric, psychic, bug, fairy, and some normal types, there are some real bizarre potential users. There are only 6 fire-types that can use flash, and three of them are in the same evolution family. Other strange users are Koffing, Umbreon, Sableye, Absol, Spiritomb, Drapion, Dusknoir, Darkrai (to name a few.)

Most of those "strange Flash users", I can agree with, but a couple do make sense. Umbreon's yellow markings can glow, and Sableye has gemstones for eyes, one on its chest, and three on its back, and is able to also use the moves Power Gem (which is a beam of light) and Dazzling Gleam (a damaging flash of light).

But even so, as the alpha pokemon and supreme being of pokemon world, it would make sense for him to learn all the same moves that Mew could learn.

Except that there's no reason to believe he could since he didn't create Mew,
so why would he have mew's ability to Learn moves?
That Ability is Unique to Mew (and, to a limited extent, Smeargle.)

Just looking up Sludge Wave, wondering how best to use this TM, when i came across a weird thing. Gastly and Koffing can't learn it (under normal circumstances), but the Kami trio can?!?!?

Just looked this one up too, wanted to see when my shiny Golem would learn rollout AND IT CAN'T!!!

gen V and VI Golem can't learn rollout but Geodude and Graveler can, and Golem could prior to gen V. WTF game freak?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
Since Mew can supposedly learn any move, then I think it should have access to stuff like Sketch, Mimic, Me First, After You, and even all of the exclusive Legendary Move Tutor moves. We should really have Mew learn every single move in some way, and none of them should be left out. Heck, let's have Mew learn every single move in the game's coding through Heart Scales.

Golurk can learn Fly. Presumably this is because it's a giant mecha, but still. o_O And along with the infamous Tauros, other weird surf users include Furret, Snorlax, Linoone, Miltank, freaking Tyranitar and Rampardos, and Audino.

Some refutations, Carbink naturally learns Power Gem so Diancie can have it. And Dark Pulse is really 'Evil Pulse' in the japanese so there's no reason why Heliolisk shouldn't learn it just because it's gimmick is 'sunlight'.

Latios and Latias can learn surf and dive even though they're capable of flying over water.

Why can't Samurott learn Sacred Sword, again? I mean, Aegislash can, so there's no "But Musketeers" excuse.

Golurk can learn Fly. Presumably this is because it's a giant mecha, but still. o_O
But that's what makes it so darned cool.

What I want to know is: why can't Golurk learn Knock Off? He can use Thief but cannot slap down someone's hold item. Maybe there's some logic behind it--he might hurt somebody if he slapped them?--but it kinda puzzles me.

Back
Top Bottom