• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Yet another annoying one. Skitty can learn Covet but not Thief. Yet it can learn Faint attack, so don't go saying that "Thief is too dark for Skitty.

Infernape, Blaziken & so many other Fighting types can't learn Drain Punch?!
tumblr_l7xd9sZeTq1qb9dbjo1_500.gif

Joltion can learn Tail whip even though it doesn't have a tail.

It has a short, stubby tail underneath its spikes. Think a clipped dog's tail.

I wish Vivillon could learn Fly, so I could fly all around Kalos on my Pokeball Vivillon. :(

All Pokémon that can fly and/or levitate should be able to Fly. And oddly enough, most Pokémon with Levitate as their Ability have it as their ONLY Ability... Rude.

I remember Surf being a huge offender. Pokemon like Lickitung, Kangaskhan and Snorlax were all able to learn it.

I think it's because they're large mammalian creatures that can swim in water. Many real-world mammals can swim. Such as dogs, which is why Stoutland can learn it. Bears can swim, so Snorlax can surf. The Nido line are based off of rabbits, which swim, as does Rhydon a rhino.

I feel like this thread should be expanded to include the Abilities as well. I think we could have a field day with Abilities.

I think Wooper learning Ice Punch isn't so farfetched. He can use ice moves, so he could freeze the air around him to form the shape of a hand. This might sounds a little forced, but I think it works. Same with Gastly learning Fire Punch. He can use Will-o-Wisp, so I assume he could create flames out of thin air. In order to use Fire Punch, he would just create flames in the shape of a hand.

Back in Gen 1 when Teleport was an actual TM, the likes of Shellder, Magmar, Electabuzz, Arcanine and Chansey could all learn it because why the hell not?

My guess about some pokemon lacking the ability to use Fly, is that the move is mainly used as a transportation means for humans, which would explain why some cannot learn it.

My guess about some pokemon lacking the ability to use Fly, is that the move is mainly used as a transportation means for humans, which would explain why some cannot learn it.

That would make sense if some Pokémon like Pidgey were unable to learn it.

Personally, I think that only Pokémon usable in sky battles should be able to learn fly. Basically any Pokémon that can fly or levitate can participate in these, except for smaller ones such as Starly and Fletchling.

No Bug/Flying type can learn Fly. Any argument that "they aren't big enough to carry you" was destroyed in Gen 1 with the fact that not only can tiny birds like Pidgey carry you, but Dodrio(a FLIGHTLESS BIRD) can. Even using that argument, you should at least be able to fly on Yanmega considering how huge it is

Personally, I think that only Pokémon usable in sky battles should be able to learn fly. Basically any Pokémon that can fly or levitate can participate in these, except for smaller ones such as Starly and Fletchling.
But that would leave my poor Golurk out in the cold and his Dex entry states that he can fly. (I just wish GF would give him his flight animation already. We know what it looks like, for bootin' up cold!)

But that would leave my poor Golurk out in the cold and his Dex entry states that he can fly. (I just wish GF would give him his flight animation already. We know what it looks like, for bootin' up cold!)

We could always make some exceptions. ;)

Something i only just noticed as odd: Dialga the pokemon of time learns Roar of Time and AncientPower, but not Future sight.

On that note, Palkia the pokemon of space can't use Teleport.

- This is a mockery to my favourite Pokemon, but Garchomp and Surf. Then Garchomp can't learn Waterfall. If they're capable of flying like a jet and learn Surf, wouldn't it be obvious to be able to learn Waterfall too? + Garchomp can't learn Fly or any other moves that would support its dex entry of being able to fly. In addition to this, Garchomp's secondary type is Ground. Makes so damn much sense (sometimes it doesn't have to). ;D

- Houndoom is able to learn Dream Eater but nothing that puts an opponent into sleep (Hypnosis etc).

- Galvantula learns Volt Switch but no U-turn - however it's able to learn physical moves such as Cross Poison and Poison Jab. And the most hilarious would be Giga Impact!

- Venusaur should be able to learn Poison Jab or Gunk Shot, but nope. :/

- Rhydon /Rhyperior + Surf = there's no sense at all.

- Togepi and its evolutions are able to learn Rock Smash. And Vullaby/Mandibuzz. How??

- Drapion is able to learn Rock Slide but no Stone Edge - however Drapion could use more than three high crit ratio attacks (it learns Night Slash, Cross Poison, + Poison Tail through breeding).

- Small flying Pokemon (like Zubat, Pidgey, Noibat) can learn Fly. It has been mentioned already, but gotta mention once again. :p + Genderless Pokemon and Attract and still it doesn't work if used.

glow said:
Well I found out that Snorlax can learn self destruct today
Ewww! Mental images... It doesn't get any better when you realize that Garbodor and Lickilicky are able to learn Explosion.

Last edited:
Zekrom should be able to learn EQ :/ I really don't understand why it doesn't with that type of figure and power.

And just for fun, I think Blastoise should be able to learn Lock-On.

Back in Gen 1 when Teleport was an actual TM, the likes of Shellder, Magmar, Electabuzz, Arcanine and Chansey could all learn it because why the hell not?

So do Butterfree, Wigglytuff, Venomoth and Magneton. Early installment weirdness at its finest

Reuniclus can learn Thunder, Thunderpunch and Thunder Wave but not Thunderbolt.

Gothitelle can't learn Recover or Focus Blast like many other Psychics but learns Brick Break, Low Sweep and Rock Slide for some reason. And it learns Dream Eater without any means to induce sleep.

Seismitoad should learn Ice Beam, Blizzard or Waterfall since most water types do. At least it gets Ice Punch though.

I always thought Latias should be able to use flamethrower because of her red color and the tons of cards of her that have fire type moves or use fire energy.

Gallade should be able to learn Sacred Sword since Aegislash gets it and it has the whole knight theme going for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom