• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

High Jump Kick is originally known as Jumping Knee Kick. That's why things like Sawsbuck don't learn it but know Jump Kick.

I was getting at the opposite of that. If the likes of Scrafty, Blaziken, Medicham and Hawlucha can learn High Jump Kick why not Jump Kick? They clearly have the means to do it.

Lucario can learn Metal Claw, Bullet Punch, Iron Tail and Zen Headbutt but not Iron Head. Similar to it not being able to learn Fire Punch this is inconsistent with the rest of its movepool. It can clearly coat its limbs with metal and its head is hard enough to use headbutt moves but somehow can't put 2 and 2 together.

Umbreon can learn Covet, as can all the eeveelutions. But not Thief. Because that's the same type equivalent of exactly the same move, and therefore, that would make far too much sense.

Diglett and Dugtrio can learn Aerial Ace. I don't want to think about that too hard, it hurts my brain.
This is the best visualization of that.
974adfe17xVsd.png

I just noticed that the Fennekin line can learn Dream Eater but no Sleep-inducing moves whatsoever. What's the deal with that!?

That's not true; they learn Hypnosis through breeding.

However, your example does happen somewhat often I think - that being a Pokemon can learn Dream Eater but no sleep-inducing move. I can only guess they expect people to pair the Pokemon up with a sleep user in doubles. Spore spamming is popular enough in doubles anyway, so that just might be their thought process.

Parasect should be able to learn Crab Hammer, I mean it's a freaking crab with crab claws! Same goes for Crustle.

In Generation I, Lickitung couldn't learn Lick. Let that sink in for a moment.

Aurorus is part rock type; it has gem like crystals on its body, yet it can't learn power gem. Excuse me gamefreak?

Umbreon can learn Covet, as can all the eeveelutions. But not Thief. Because that's the same type equivalent of exactly the same move, and therefore, that would make far too much sense.

Oh, yeah, and as another one, umbreon can also learn Synchronoise. A Psychic-type move which only damages pokemon of the same type as the user. Right...

Oh, yeah, and as another one, umbreon can also learn Synchronoise. A Psychic-type move which only damages pokemon of the same type as the user. Right...

To be fair, Synchronoise is a stupid move to begin with. It'd be a lot better if it was something like Facade or Retaliate: 70 base damage that doubles when the opponent is the same type as the user.

To be fair, Synchronoise is a stupid move to begin with. It'd be a lot better if it was something like Facade or Retaliate: 70 base damage that doubles when the opponent is the same type as the user.

Yeah, agreed. I can't imagine anyone actually using Synchronoise, unless they got it from Metronome.

Actually, that would still be useless on umbreon, seeing as she can learn Psychic as well, which would be more powerful anyway. I say as if it's apparently worth giving umbreon coverage attacks in the first place...

Also, don't believe this one's been mentioned yet, jolteon can use iron tail, despite not having a tail.

Out of curiosity, is there any explanation for why virtually everything can learn Toxic? It seems kinda out of place on non-poison types, as useful as it may be. Presumably the move must involve an action practically every pokemon is capable of, but I can't think what. It seems an odd move to single out for everything to learn like that.

Out of curiosity, is there any explanation for why virtually everything can learn Toxic? It seems kinda out of place on non-poison types, as useful as it may be. Presumably the move must involve an action practically every pokemon is capable of, but I can't think what. It seems an odd move to single out for everything to learn like that.

Here's a hint:

[video=youtube;rAbP5REW_Fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAbP5REW_Fc[/video]

I always wondered how Alakazam would use Iron tail since they have no tail unlike their pre-evolutions. Maybe they could create a temporary tail from psychic energies?
Same applies for Primeape.
Also, the Clejfa line, Aron, Bidoof, and other Pokemon that do have tails, but that are too short to be effective.
Not to mention Ponyta, Rapidash and Chimchar... turning fire into solid metal, really?! :eek:hdear:

Yeah, agreed. I can't imagine anyone actually using Synchronoise, unless they got it from Metronome.

Actually, that would still be useless on umbreon, seeing as she can learn Psychic as well, which would be more powerful anyway. I say as if it's apparently worth giving umbreon coverage attacks in the first place...

Also, don't believe this one's been mentioned yet, jolteon can use iron tail, despite not having a tail.

Jolteon has short spikes of fur as its tail. Yes, it was brought up before.

Synchronoise got a big power boost in gen VI, the BP is now 120 where before it was 70. Synchronoise has many incongruities. It is not actually sound-based, despite what the name suggests. Umbreon is the only potential user where it will fail, (but all other Eeveelutions can use it, since it can be learned by Eevee). Since psychic types resist psychic moves, it is wasted on pure-psychic types (therefore effective STAB is rare). As such, its use is very niche.

One thing that kind of bothers me is that Entei can't learn Earthquake, although Bulldoze seems fairly close to it. It's just really strange that even Pokemon like Chansey, Blissey, and Barboach can learn it but not Entei.

Jolteon has short spikes of fur as its tail. Yes, it was brought up before.

I'm still not sure that really qualifies as an actual tail, worth hitting someone with at all, let alone for a 100 base power attack. At best, it could be stretched to explain Tail Whip, which just requires them to be wagged cutely. But anyway, sorry for repeating an earlier one.

Synchronoise got a big power boost in gen VI, the BP is now 120 where before it was 70. Synchronoise has many incongruities. It is not actually sound-based, despite what the name suggests. Umbreon is the only potential user where it will fail, (but all other Eeveelutions can use it, since it can be learned by Eevee). Since psychic types resist psychic moves, it is wasted on pure-psychic types (therefore effective STAB is rare). As such, its use is very niche.

I'm aware of the workings of the move, hence why I was pointing out that it wouldn't work on umbreon. Our point was it might be more usable if they altered it to a lower power move which got a significant bonus against pokemon of the same type, rather than how it currently works. But still, as you say, it has very little utility, and still wouldn't be a very good move even if these changes were implemented.

Moving on, something that's never really explained is why Normal types can often learn really wide varieties of moves. Why can zigzagoon learn Ice Beam, Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Shadow Ball, Surf, and so on? And with all of those, why not Flamethrower and Fire Blast?

Check out how many Pokemon can learn Dig by TM. Shedinja makes so perfectly sense..!

Back
Top Bottom