• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Lunatone and Solrock can't learn Moonlight and Morning Sun respectively. *Raises eyebrow*

The most annoying part about this is that they learnt them as exclusive moves through the Dream World back in Gen V. So they've acknowledged that they should learn the moves, but decided to only give them out through what was basically a limited event window, as there's no way to get them now the Dream World is dead. They never bothered updating their level-up moves with them when we got to XY (or even ORAS!). Annoying because the two moves make them both much more useful too.

OK, so thanks to my new guide book, i learned that in B2W2 once per day i can have a multi battle with the triplets in Striaton former gym. So I teamed up with Cress against his brothers, and it gets to the point where he brings out his Slowking. Then it uses flamethrower. I'm still confused by this, but after looking it up, all the Slowpoke family can learn flamethrower and fire blast!! WTF?

OK, so thanks to my new guide book, i learned that in B2W2 once per day i can have a multi battle with the triplets in Striaton former gym. So I teamed up with Cress against his brothers, and it gets to the point where he brings out his Slowking. Then it uses flamethrower. I'm still confused by this, but after looking it up, all the Slowpoke family can learn flamethrower and fire blast!! WTF?

Gen I was a helluva drug.

Even though Gigalith can absorb energy in its crystal, I think it should get Morning Sun or Synthesis because with its defences, it would appreciate having recovery.

It would be interesting if Darmanitan gets Thunder Punch, even though I previously thought it might not be a good idea, because of the Sheer Force boost and being a way to overcome any Water-types that stand in its way.

Zebstrika, in general, needs a lot more Physical coverage, especially a Fire attack that is strong enough to be used, and Jump Kick for certain sturdy Physical walls weak to Fighting.

I think that Trick-or-Treat should be distributed to more Ghost-types, mainly because this move can reasonably be learned by many of them. Of course, it has the side benefit of making their STAB more effective against its opponents, so it's not like it is just for show.

Noble Roar is an interesting move mainly because it drops both attack stats, so something other than Pyroar would stand to benefit from it. This is very similar to how Cosmic Power is a decent move because it is one of the few defence-raising moves that are viable for being relatively reliable (Cotton Guard is the other, because its set-up boost is the fastest in this category).

Also, I feel that Grass-types should have a general Ground offensive attack, because this would immensely help their problem with certain problem types like Fire and Steel, giving them a fighting chance against its already-numerous weaknesses.

Thanks for reading.

Here's two more that made me question WTF is up with gamefreak?

Ferroseed & Ferrothorn CAN'T learn Rapid Spin.
Diglett & Dugtrio CAN learn Sludge Wave. (WHY?)

Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie should learn Power Gem because they have gems on their foreheads and tails, and the move exclusive to Pokemon that has gem-like features.

Add Aurorus and Diancie to that list (unless Diamond Storm is supposed to be a buffed version of Power Gem)

Also I feel that since Hurricane is simialr to Focus Blast/Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard, it shoudl also be a TM like them

more on topic, Am I the only one bugged that Heliolisk, the only thing with more blatant sun motifs than Princess Celestia and Rapunzel, can't use Solar Beam (which I also consider a FB countperpart?)

Am I the only one bugged that Heliolisk, the only thing with more blatant sun motifs than Princess Celestia and Rapunzel, can't use Solar Beam (which I also consider a FB countperpart?)

>Rapunzel
>sun motif

hwat-127135844125.jpeg

I think it's ridiculous that Dedenne is a Fairy type and yet literally the only damaging Fairy move it learns is Play Rough, which it can't even really use thanks to its base 58 Attack stat. It definitely needs Dazzling Gleam and/or Moonblast.

I think it's ridiculous that Dedenne is a Fairy type and yet literally the only damaging Fairy move it learns is Play Rough, which it can't even really use thanks to its base 58 Attack stat. It definitely needs Dazzling Gleam and/or Moonblast.
I would agree if not for the fact that dedenne sucks and doesn't deserve nice things

Well, Slowpoke and its kin are loosely based on salamanders and as we all know fictional salamanders got to have fire spewing abilities just ask Charmander.

more psychic pokemon should learn the move Kinesis then only the Alakazam line and the move should get a big modification
(to bent spoons with will power? the realation to steel types?) Also there should be a relation and combo with Telekinesis and Gravity.

Muk could learn Aqua ring.

Last edited:
Pelipper should be able to learn Dive, or there needs to be another pelican based Pokemon that can in the future.

Delphox is based on a witch/magician. motiv witchcraft?
it should be able to learn:
1.Destiny Bond,
2.Perish song(would be nice, to have a starter with it for the first time),
3.Phantom Force(other starters get Bounce,Fly, Dig, Dive)
4.Whirlwind.

This and "Magic Bounce" ability would make it a more diversal pokemon.

Last edited:
I always found it curious that so many Pokemon can learn the weather inducing moves. I always felt they should be reserved for more powerful/evolved Pokemon.

I just looked and found that Mime Jr. can't learn any Fairy-type moves except charm as an egg move (which doesn't count because it could get that move before it was changed to fairy type). I mean, really? Not even Dazzling gleam? Oddly Mr. Mime can learn Dazzling gleam (and also Misty terrain). So the only way to get those moves is to evolve it from cute to disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom