• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Serperior, Gourgeist and Mienshao should all learn Power Whip.

Helioptile and Heliolisk should learn Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Morning Sun and Weather Ball.

Wigglytuff should learn Boomburst and Moonblast.

I was a little taken back that I was reading on Serebii that Garchomp can learn Surf..... I know it looks likes a Hammerhead but Garchomp is a LandShark and a ground type, maybe being Dragon is a good for the diversity but still, wasn't expecting Surf

I don't know if it still can, but it bugged me that in Gen 1 that Machop could learn Fire Blast.

Dragonair and Onix should be able to learn Coil, same with Blastoise and Shell Smash. Also I'd like to see Lumineon get Quiver Dance.

Solrock and Lunatone should learn Morning Sun and Moonlight respectively. They learnt them as special moves from Gen V's Dream World, but now that's dead and the pentagon rule is a thing. Plus there's no reason why they shouldn't learn them by level anyway.

Oh and Lunatone should learn Power Gem and/or Ancient Power by level. It learns Ancient Power by move tutor... in Gen IV which is no use now. (Seriously Game Freak, you make a special attacking Rock type and you give it Rock Slide and Stone Edge by level instead of a special Rock move?)

Also give Diggersby Belly Drum lol

You'd kinda expect Banette to have Acupressure, I mean, thematically it makes sense. Pin Missile would as well. I mean, several of its Dex entries state it creates strong curses by sticking pins into its own body, but the only move that reflects this is Curse (and Hex I guess)

Stunky and Skuntank should be able to learn Poison Jab, like they could in Gen IV. It would help them more, as the only Physical Poison move they can learn is Belch, and that requires a consumed Berry to be usable. It would feed off their higher Attack stat, otherwise all they have is moves like Sludge Bomb and Acid Spray, which feeds off its lower Sp. Attack stat.

The Pidove family could also benefit from learning Wing Attack. After all, they do have WINGS, and it would be a more reliable Physical Flying move for them, as the best Flying move they have in that department is Sky Attack, and that takes two turns to execute, leaving them vulnerable until it activates. Heck, it's the only Physical Flying move they've got through level up, so why did they get short changed there? I find that strange.

Stunky and Skuntank should be able to learn Poison Jab, like they could in Gen IV. It would help them more, as the only Physical Poison move they can learn is Belch, and that requires a consumed Berry to be usable. It would feed off their higher Attack stat, otherwise all they have is moves like Sludge Bomb and Acid Spray, which feeds off its lower Sp. Attack stat.

Skuntank can learn Poison Jab though. Unless you mean learn it by level up instead of only by TM?

The Pidove family could also benefit from learning Wing Attack. After all, they do have WINGS, and it would be a more reliable Physical Flying move for them, as the best Flying move they have in that department is Sky Attack, and that takes two turns to execute, leaving them vulnerable until it activates. Heck, it's the only Physical Flying move they've got through level up, so why did they get short changed there? I find that strange.

Pidove line really wants Brave Bird more tbh. Best physical Flying move it has is Aerial Ace/Pluck iirc. It's a shame cos it has 115 base Attack now, which means it could actually hit pretty hard with Brave Bird and not be so awkwardly poor.

------

While I'm here more suggestions from me.

Primeape: Switcheroo
Machamp: Mach Punch
Hypno: Follow Me
Hitmonchan: Shadow Punch (shadowboxing is a thing!)
Jynx: Freeze-Dry
Jolteon: Spikes
Meganium: Flower Shield, Wish
Noctowl: Calm Mind
Ampharos: Dragon Tail
Sunflora: Weather Ball
Claydol: Recover
Milotic: Calm Mind
Banette: Swords Dance, Encore
Luxray: Pursuit
Zebstrika: Flare Blitz, Jump Kick
Darmanitan: Wild Charge
Ferrothorn: Spiky Shield
Beartic: Waterfall
Stunfisk: Volt Switch (the only Electric type that doesn't learn it iirc)
Chesnaught: Rapid Spin, Wide Guard
Hawlucha: Follow Me

I'd also replace Air Slash on Fan Rotom with Hurricane. All the other Rotom forms have powerful inaccurate moves, so it fits the trend while also giving it somewhat of a niche in rain as neither Zapdos nor Thundurus learn Hurricane.

Wigglytuff: Boomburst, Moonblast
Primeape: Wild Charge, Flame Charge
Electrode: Overheat, Heat Wave, Steamroller, Rapid Spin, Sucker Punch
Kingler: Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab
Ledian: Cosmic Power, Moonlight, Meteor Mash
Furret: Detect, Power Whip
Beautifly: Leech Life, Poison Jab
Swalot: Recover, Hydro Pump, Scald, Minimize
Sharpedo: Thunder Fang, Swords Dance
Lunatone: Moonlight, Power Gem
Walrein: Slack Off
Huntail: Spark, Tail Glow, Wild Charge
Glalie: Stone Edge, Head Smash
Altaria: Hydro Pump
Carnivine: Fire Fang, Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Sucker Punch
Drifblim: Sky Drop, Air Slash, Moonlight
Lumineon: Quiver Dance, Air Slash
Cherrim: Flame Charge, Follow Me, Play Rough, Fire Punch
Dusknoir: Phantom Force, Signal Beam
Bronzong: Heal Bell
Eelektross: Leech Life
Beartic: Waterfall
Cryogonal: Spikes, Power Gem, Mirror Coat, Scary Face, Powder Snow, Mirror Shot
Stunfisk: Slack Off, Volt Switch
Heatmor: Gunk Shot, Clear Smog, Metal Clow, Nasty Plot, Flame Charge, Power Whip, Slack Off, Defog
Diggersby: Slack Off
Malamar: Waterfall, Surf, Psycho Shift, Stored Power, Encore, Confuse Ray, Tickle, Play Nice
Aurorus: Power Gem
Heliolisk: Sunny Day
Gourgeist: Wrap, Perish Song, Power Whip
Diancie: Power Gem

this is what I got for nyow
definitely didn't go overkill on any of them

Last edited:
Victreebel should learn Poison Jab and Gunk Shot. How it doesn't learn a single physical Poison move after 20 years is some real sinister decision making. It learns Swords Dance, Leaf Blade/Power Whip and Knock Off so don't tell me it can't jab things Game Freak!

Weezing should learn Gunk Shot too. What is going on over at Game Freak HQ...

Last edited:
Shuckle needs Explosion. Make it the setup pokémon it was always meant to be.
  • Explosion
  • Sticky Web
  • Stealth Rock
  • Power Split (singles) OR
  • Guard split (doubles)

I always found it curious that so many Pokemon can learn the weather inducing moves. I always felt they should be reserved for more powerful/evolved Pokemon.
I think otherwise , if only powerfull/evolved ones then that would make it a lot harder for the weaker to counter and compete with them.
They could create a shield draining move(shield move that drains hp from both special and physical attackers) for some pokemon like Wobba and him, pokes who need more backup.

A lot of grass and bugs should get "Powder".

Delphox would deserve Mirror Coat and Counter.

Last edited:
Meganium should learn Wish and Baton Pass. Blastoise should learn Slack Off and Shell Smash. Why? Because it would make them both considerably better competitively and all those moves are generic enough that it wouldn't be weird for them to learn them.

Well the Pokemon that all learn Baton Pass seem much more nimble and lean in body type than Meganium, so it isn't that generic of a move. To me, giving it Baton Pass is like giving something like Rhyperior or Emboar Baton Pass, it just seems a bit too chunky and clumsy for it. Alakazam is something I could see learning Baton Pass thinking about it.

I agree with Wish though. Meganium should also learn Flower Shield, Sleep Powder and Calm Mind too. I'm surprised at the Pokemon that lack Calm Mind, some like Noctowl and Milotic seem like perfect fits when you look at everything else that learn it but yet can't.

Delphox and its wooden wand, make me question if it should get Leech Seed or other grass type moves or something like that in familiar (Forest's Curse (would be the best for it))?
It would deserve Draining Kiss.

- Dragonite would deserve Assist.
(Orange Islands, Drakes Dragonite, this would explain more moves )

Dragonair and Onix should be able to learn Coil.

While Dragonair with coil sounds peachy, a Dragonite with coil sounds like a nightmare...

Delphox and its wooden wand, make me question if it should get Leech Seed or other grass type moves or something like that in familiar (Forest's Curse (would be the best for it))?

Hah! If Delfox could Forest Curse a pokemon and give it a weakness to its own fire, it would be the ultimate troll, lol!

Beartic still doesn't learn Ice Fang by any means, despite its 'dex entry clearly stating that it can: "It freezes its breath to create fangs and claws of ice to fight with." I noticed this before XY were even announced, and nothing has been done about it since then.

Ninetales: Psychic, Shadow Ball, curse (The ghost effect;Would seem most logical due to pokedex entry), Dazzling Gleam. The off-the-wall option I'd suggest is surf. :p Only because you can see Ninetales swimming in the Mewtwo Returns movie. XD

Espeon: Aura Sphere
Umbreon: Power Trick
Mr. Mime- Moonblast!!! Give this thing a real fairy move please people! XD
Lunatone- Moonblast and Moonlight
Solrock- Solarbeam and Morning Sun

Back
Top Bottom