• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Yeah Ninetales should learn some more tricky moves. Curse could work if it gets a Ghost Mega. But I'd really like to see it get Trick, Mirror Coat and Heal Block. Maybe even Destiny Bond too.

Also Lunatone does already learn Moonblast and same with Solrock and Solar Beam. They do need to learn Moonlight and Morning Sun though, I agree with you there.

Pidgeot's Anime Pokedex entry:
Pidgeot, the Bird Pokémon. The evolved form of Pidgeotto, it can fly at twice the speed of sound at an altitude of nearly one mile.

GF during their morning meeting, discussing moves that Pokemon should learn:
''Hey guys, should we give Pidgeot Extreme Speed? Cause, you know, flying twice the speed of sound and all..''
''Nah man, f*ck that.''

Mega Mewtwo X is gifted with the highest Attack stat in the game and a Fighting type, but it has no real truly powerful moves outside of Aura Sphere, Focus Blast & Focus Punch to use it with. Even then only Focus Punch makes use of that incredible Attack stat, as Focus Blast and Aura Sphere are Special attacks. Brick Break & Drain Punch are useful but lack raw power, and Low Kick is only useful against certain Pokemon. Admittedly, Mewtwo is in the Ubers tier, where a lot of Pokemon are very vulnerable to Low Kick's mechanic.

My idea was to give Mewtwo Close Combat via a move tutor/relearner, so it has something really powerful to use its Attack/Fighting Stab with. That said...maybe giving Mewtwo this would steal Mega Lucario's thunder, so maybe it shouldn't learn it.

Swords Dance is way to learnable. It should only be learnable to Pokemon it makes sense for (which is still a decent list), but looking at what can learn it they really should have something sword like. I'm not sure even long claws should qualify since hone claws exists anyway. I also think substitute, protect shouldn't be learnable to all pokemon, there should be a reason one can use those moves.

I would like female Ralts to be able to learn moonblast as an egg move.

Also I would like Eevee and Meloetta to learn extreme speed .

Also a lot of tutor moves don't make sense, especially gunk shot which is learnable by a lot of Pokemon that shouldn't be able to learn it. I think the move endeavor shouldn't really exist. t essentially would like to see them do away with moves that just don't make sense, even if they do add to competitiveness, because I just don't like when something is using a move that doesn't fit.

Last edited:
In general, I wish more Pokemon could learn Sticky Web. It's a great move but lacks viable users. It would make sense for any Bug-type that produces silk to be able to use the move. Some Bug-types that could potentially learn it: Vivillon, Forretress, Beedrill, Butterfree, Beautifly, Dustox, Venomoth, Drapion, Wormadam, Volcarona, Accelgor, Mothim.

No more Pokemon that can use the below moves:

Selfdestruct
Explosion
Super Fang
Hyper Fang

In regards to the first two, how do you expect me to catch any Pokemon when the Pokemon I may or may not want to capture uses those moves as it's first move.

Super Fang and Hyper Fang should not be learnable by any Pokemon until at least midway through the game. There is nothing more annoying early on being KT'd within a few turns by a wild Pokemon.

Malamar should be able to learn Telekinesis and/or Gravity. I mean, really, why not? And why the hell doesn't Heliolisk learn Solar Beam? Seriously.

Lunatone- Moonblast and Moonlight
Solrock- Solarbeam and Morning Sun

They already can have those moves. While pretty rare now since Dream World went down, Lunatone and Solrock caught in the DW would have Moonlight and Morning Sun sometimes.

They should just add them to their level-up movepool now though.

No more Pokemon that can use the below moves:

Selfdestruct
Explosion

In regards to the first two, how do you expect me to catch any Pokemon when the Pokemon I may or may not want to capture uses those moves as it's first move.
Yeah, I'm with you. These are two reasons that I have a tendency to horde Master Balls. I live in mortal fear that I'll run into a shiny Voltorb and the blasted thing will Selfdestruct before I can catch it. I'm also not a fan of Take Down for this same reason; the idea of watching a shiny Beldum kill itself while you're trying to get it to stay in a freaking Ball is not my idea of fun.

But yeah, self harming type moves can go away for a while. I'm not a fan of them.

Yeah, I'm with you. These are two reasons that I have a tendency to horde Master Balls. I live in mortal fear that I'll run into a shiny Voltorb and the blasted thing will Selfdestruct before I can catch it. I'm also not a fan of Take Down for this same reason; the idea of watching a shiny Beldum kill itself while you're trying to get it to stay in a freaking Ball is not my idea of fun.

But yeah, self harming type moves can go away for a while. I'm not a fan of them.

That's a lot of moves... Instead, what they could do, and maybe make this restriction for wild pokemon, is that wild pokemon cannot use those moves until all their other moves run out of PP....
Or even more simply, just don't allow any wild Pokemon to have those kinds of moves

What?! You mean you guys don't love when Gigalith and Graveler explode on the first turn in your face, and kill off the pokemon you are trying to level?! That's crazy talk!

But seriously, they should be able to such moves, because they do have competitive use, just not by normal level up, or not until a really high level you are unlikely to encounter in the wild. I can see why they are there though, it's the same reason Zubat swarm you in caves, i.e. just to be annoying.

Gligar and Gliscor: Crabhammer.
Gorebyss: Razor Shell.
Vullaby, Mandibuzz and the Togepi line: Egg Bomb
Eevee: Sing
Lapras: Energy Ball (it used it in the TCG)
Psyduck: Petal Dance, because it had it as an event move and should learn it again.
Gyarados: Lick
Mareep, Marill, Charmander, etc.: Tail Glow
Voltorb, Electrode: Shell Smash.
Huntail: Ion Deluge (because eels), Tail Slap, Dragon Tail, Dragon Dance, Poison Tail
Donphan: Flame Wheel
Musharna: Poison Gas, Aromatic Mist
Pumpkaboo: Sing (because Smashing Pumpkins, lol)
Venusaur, Meganium, Vileplume and Bellossom: Flower Shield
Most Flying-type Pokemon: Silver Wind, Fairy Wind, and Leaf Tornado (Heat Wave, Twister and Ominous Wind anyone?)
Zubat: Sonic Boom
Nosepass: Electrify
Escavalier: King's Shield

Last edited:
Ralts should get Play Rough. That way Gallade will also have a physical Fairy-type move to use, which makes sense considering it evolves from a Fairy-type Pokemon.

Gyarados should be able to learn flying type moves. It's water/flying, learns some nice moves with decent variety but the only Flying type move it can learn is Bounce (from a tutor even), which makes it benefit only half of its potential stab moves.
I just realize how little Flying type moves there are compared to other types, all actually very bird-friendly or Charizard-like Pokemon friendly. :p Gyarados's secondary flying type is a bad excuse for lacking Levitate and giving it ground immunity... but I'm not complaining that it has Intimidate. X)

^Yeah, they need a Brave Bird-like move that isn't restricted to birds by its name. Aerodactyl needs stronger physical flying moves but it's technically not a bird so it can't get that one.

I'm obviously late to be commenting on this, but it absolutely boggles my mind whenever people say "Oh Doduo/Dodrio shouldn't learn Fly or wing-based attacks, they have no wings!". Yet Pokemon Yellow's Pokedex mentions that Doduo does in fact have short wings, which I imagine is hidden beneath the feathers. I actually get really annoyed at the 'helicopter' or flapping head depiction that's so common in the fandom. The 3D games already show them 'running' in mid-air anyway. Though I guess I can't blame people since the tiny wings are obviously not a well known fact.

In general I don't think Pokemon should be discounted from learning moves just because they seemingly lack an appendage. By that logic, Primeape should immediately forget Iron Tail it learned as a Mankey upon evolution without question.

I however will agree though that putting Attract or Captivate on Pokemon who are genderless is pointless. Or at the very least, make it so that genderless Pokemon who use Attract/Captivate are able to effect Pokemon of either gender. At least then it'd be a little more useful.

@Isamu Akai The issue with Doduo/Dodrio learning fly isn't because they don't have wings, it's because their wings are obviously vestigial and incapable of flight, being clearly based on ratites, a group of birds which are land bound and cannot fly.

@NoirGrimoir Of course I know that. But this is Pokemon. We don't have rabbits in the real world that have poisonous quills. We don't have tiny pigeons that are able to fly a teenager from distant city to city. We don't have horses that are literally on fire and still alive. And we certainly don't have giraffes that have chain chomp tails. My point is that Pokemon bends reality to fit its own. Just because they're based on ratites and have tiny wings doesn't mean they shouldn't learn Fly.

@Isamu Akai But by that logic, Dunsparce should learn Fly. It's got tiny wings. I'm not saying pokemon should adhere to real world logic, but it should at least adhere to it's own! It's inconsistent. If flipping Scyther with it's ridiculously obvious wings can't use Fly, then I'll be damned if Doduo with it's invisible ones somehow can!

(If I seem aggressive, this outrage isn't targeted at you, it's at GF for having no logical consistency!)

Back
Top Bottom