• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

I just don't see the point in why Doduo and Dodrio shouldn't be allowed to learn flying or wing-based moves when they're clearly stated to have wings. It just seems like pointless nitpicking to me. Same goes for other Pokemon. Besides, Fly and Steel Wing can only be learned by HM/TM. Those are machines intended to teach Pokemon moves that they cannot learn naturally. So one could say that on its own, Doduo can't fly, but can with the proper assistance.

But I digress.

I don't have a problem with the Dods learning wing based moves, just Fly. Yes, they have wings. Learning Steel Wing is logical. Sure their wings are incapable of flight but slapping someone? I'll buy they are capable of that. The only thing I think is bogus is that they can straight up fly you across a region. TMs/HMs can teach pokemon things that are not natural behaviors to that species, but they can't teach them things which they are physically incapable of doing. You can't teach a Shuckle to fly. It is physically incapable. Just 'having wings' or 'being a bird' does not make something physically capable of flight, as Dunsparce, every flying-type bug pokemon, and Clefairy/Clefable proves.

And I'm not just hating on the Dods, Delibird and Golurk shouldn't be able to fly, either.

And I'm not just hating on the Dods, Delibird and Golurk shouldn't be able to fly, either.
Delibird was based on the puffin and they can fly, it seems. As for Golurk--I mean, the design said "Hi, I'm a giant effing robot" and most giant effing robots can fly. Unless they happen to be a Generation One Autobot, that is. :p

Scyther I could understand not being able to Fly but Scizor I don't. It ought to be able to fly and carry a person. Yanmega I'm not too sure.

What bugs me about this sort of thing? Golurk has hands but can't freaking learn Knock Off or Shadow Claw. I can kinda understand Shadow Claw but Knock Off? Really? And yet, Golurk can learn Thief. My poor brain hurts when I think about this sometimes...

Any Pokémon that can learn Dragon Pulse should be able to learn Draco Meteor, especially the likes of Sceptile and Serperior.

Delibird was based on the puffin and they can fly, it seems.

Delibird has flippers, it is just as much, if not more likely to be based on a penguin. And no matter what it's based off of, Flippers are typically not on birds that have the ability to fly. Just sayin'.

Dedenne needs special fairy-type moves. Pichu can get Disarming Voice, but the actual fairy-type Pikaclone can't. That's ridiculous. Disarming Voice and Dazzling Gleam should definitely be a part of its learn set. Also, more fairy-type moves in general would be great.

Amaura family with more rock-type attacks would be nice too.

^Actually they are sentient Stalactites that resemble ice cream for presumably the same reason that electrodes look like pokeballs, that is to say, who knows?

Yeah, they're just chunks of ice which snow has collected on.

170px-Snowless_Vanillite.png

I think it's kinda clever actually, since it avoids the "it's man-made food!" problem people like to use against the line. It isn't food, it just looks like food.

Yeah, they're just chunks of ice which snow has collected on.

170px-Snowless_Vanillite.png

I think it's kinda clever actually, since it avoids the "it's man-made food!" problem people like to use against the line. It isn't food, it just looks like food.
My dream of eating one. The truth hurts. :cry:

There are some moves that need to be more widespread
Play Rough- it's the only physical Fairy move.
Earth Power- I've wanted Grass types to get this for two gens in a row. It makes sense and it would do wonders for them.
Energy Ball- more Fire/Electric types should get this
Aura Sphere- or other special Fighting move to be available to Psychic/Fairy types.
I also want Water type moves to be available to Ice types. Or a Freeze-Dry kind of move that is super effective on Fire.

All Eevee evolutions should be able to learn Crunch, it's dumb.

Also, Starter specific moves should be more wide spread besides through breeding.

They usually end up distributing a starter's signature move a generation or so after its introduction. Leaf blade used to be exclusive to Sceptile. Now pretty much any physical grass type can learn it. Same thing happened with Muddy water, although that's a move that's not particularly worth it.

That said, I'm pretty sure some grass types can learn spiky shield already, other than Chesnaught. I'm not sure what other kind of Pokemon could learn water shuriken, though. It seems to be just for Greninja.

They usually end up distributing a starter's signature move a generation or so after its introduction. Leaf blade used to be exclusive to Sceptile. Now pretty much any physical grass type can learn it. Same thing happened with Muddy water, although that's a move that's not particularly worth it.

That said, I'm pretty sure some grass types can learn spiky shield already, other than Chesnaught. I'm not sure what other kind of Pokemon could learn water shuriken, though. It seems to be just for Greninja.
Accelgor can learn Water Shuriken as of ORAS.

Back
Top Bottom