• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Me thinks the anime explains this. Its not actually flying, just gliding when the wind is strong enough. Or look at Pit in Smash.

Yanma can't learn Struggle Bug but Yanmega can. Aside from the fact that Yanmega is the evolved form, there's no explanation.

Emboar , Chesnaught and even Typhlosion should really get Circle Throw in future , its not so strong and would allow them to have more to say with who they battle.
Even I feel Greninja should get it looking at Poliwrath, but in this case Im not sure.
Other starters, 6 of them get Dragon Tail to switch out there oponents.
(Charizard, Blastoise???, Meganium???, Feraligatr, Serperior, Samurott???)

Infernape and Greninja get U-turn to switch out them selfs if in need.

Last edited:
Rayquaza should learn Sky Attack. I don't see why it shouldn't.

I would say it's because its Japanese name is "God Bird" and Rayquaza isn't a bird, but against all logic and lack of birdness, Gliscor and Noibat get it, so who knows really.

Weird Pokemon that learn Surf:
Nidoking/queen
Lickitung
Rhydon
Snorlax
Sneasel
Tyranitar
Miltank
Aggron
Rampardos
Garchomp
Beartic
Diggersby
Pangoro
Furfrou
Slurpuff
Heliolisk
Avalugg

I left out a few ones that sort of make sense and all evolutions.

Here's one I find strange: Emboar can't learn Fire Punch via level up, only via Tutor, yet several Dex entries state that it can coat its fists in fire from its beard to punch with. I know Blaziken can learn Fire Punch naturally, and it has the natural ability to ignite its fists (the flames on its wrists), so why can't Emboar learn Fire Punch through the same method?

Weird Pokemon that learn Surf:
Nidoking/queen
Lickitung
Rhydon
Snorlax
Sneasel
Tyranitar
Miltank
Aggron
Rampardos
Garchomp
Beartic
Diggersby
Pangoro
Furfrou
Slurpuff
Heliolisk
Avalugg

I left out a few ones that sort of make sense and all evolutions.

Heliolisk probably learns it because there's a real lizard called a basilisk which can run on water. Running isn't swimming, but I think that's where they got the idea from.

It's not a terrible idea that a bunch of non-Water types can learn it though, since it means people aren't forced to use a Water-type to progress in the game since Surf is generally very much needed in most games.

Heliolisk probably learns it because there's a real lizard called a basilisk which can run on water. Running isn't swimming, but I think that's where they got the idea from.

It's not a terrible idea that a bunch of non-Water types can learn it though, since it means people aren't forced to use a Water-type to progress in the game since Surf is generally very much needed in most games.
A 3 foot pokemon can run on water while carrying a human. Gamefreak logic is the best. Not saying a weird pokemon learning surf is a bad thing, like you said it's nice to not rely on water types. I still find some funny as heck though.

Serperior:
- could get some ghost type moves (Shadow Snek, Phantom Force,Destiny Bond, Omnious Wind),
- U-Turn,
- Counter
- theoreticly a Circle Throw is posibble to do for a snake?

^ Circle Throw is overhead throw in Japanese. Basically the only way a snake could throw anything is with it's mouth (since snakes tails aren't usually prehensile), making an overhead through impossible.

^ Circle Throw is overhead throw in Japanese. Basically the only way a snake could throw anything is with it's mouth (since snakes tails aren't usually prehensile), making an overhead through impossible.
I dont know, in the BW2 trailer, Serperior throws Cheren's Stoutland to the ground.

Then again, thats a two year old trailer I haven't watched in a while, I could be completely wrong.

Here's something I find odd: Rhyhorn can't learn Tackle, yet countless Dex entries state that its tackle can send things flying. Doesn't that seem odd? I know that a tackle can translate into both a move and a general physical action, but since Tackle is an actual move, and its Dex entries talk about it tackling something, why can't it learn Tackle? Sure, it won't really provide it with any sort of advantage, but at least it would be consistent with its Dex entries.

Wrapping around something just to strangle it, and wrapping around it in such a way that you can lift and throw something over your head is totally different. Even animals with actual prehensile tails can't really do that. Elephant trunks can though. I mean this is a fantasy world, so it's not like logic has to apply necessarily, but at the same time, you wouldn't expect a serpent, even a giant one, to naturally be able to perform a Circle Throw if it was inclined to do so.

Back
Top Bottom