• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Yeah, that one gets me too. Why can't Zangoose learn Cut? Are those claws simply there for decoration or something? Inquiring minds and all that slag.
I mean, if they added Camouflage to Kecleon's level-up movepool in ORAS (the most fitting and yet redundant move ever for it), then I have to wonder why Zangoose can't learn Cut despite its prominent claws and access to moves like Slash and Shadow Claw.

There's also Diancie's random inability to learn Power Gem.

One I don't get is Froakie's family not being able to learn Aqua Jet. I mean, the ninja frogs learn Quick Attack, why not Aqua Jet? Sure, I guess because Water Shuriken does have an increased priority effect, along with its multi-hit function, but still. Buizel and Floatzel can learn both Quick Attack and Aqua Jet, and they're fragile speed demons like Froakie's family tree, so why can't the frogs, or even just Greninja, learn a water-based variant of Quick Attack? Although I guess the frog already has quite the arsenal at its disposal, but even so, Aqua Jet would make sense.

Another one I've noticed is Ambipom's inability to learn Tail Slap. You could argue that it's Cinccino's signature move, but Vulpix and Buizel get it via breeding. Wouldn't it just make sense for it to also be an egg move for Aipom?

Another one I've noticed is Ambipom's inability to learn Tail Slap. You could argue that it's Cinccino's signature move, but Vulpix and Buizel get it via breeding. Wouldn't it just make sense for it to also be an egg move for Aipom?
Probably because its Japanese name is Sweep Slap, and it hints more towards a sweeping motion than that of an actual slap.

Name changes in localization always tends to make things confusing. This is why I always look into the Japanese name of a move to better understand its context in why some Pokemon can learn it and others can't.

Wrapping around something just to strangle it, and wrapping around it in such a way that you can lift and throw something over your head is totally different. Even animals with actual prehensile tails can't really do that. Elephant trunks can though. I mean this is a fantasy world, so it's not like logic has to apply necessarily, but at the same time, you wouldn't expect a serpent, even a giant one, to naturally be able to perform a Circle Throw if it was inclined to do so.
in the anime they showed something diffrent in the battle of serperior and pikachu.

Yeah, that one gets me too. Why can't Zangoose learn Cut? Are those claws simply there for decoration or something? Inquiring minds and all that slag.
Trainer: "Zangoose, use cut!!"
A bunch of Zangoose:
"Trees have feelings too, bro."
"The last time I used cut I broke a claw!"
"The last time I used cut it was actually a Sudowoodo..."
"I just painted my claws, I can't ruin them!!"
"Why can't we just walk around the tree?"
"Shh, don't let the overlords hear you say that!"

Not sure if I already said this, but Gyarados and certain Dragon/Flying-types should be able to learn Dragon Ascent, especially Gyarados. They seem to think Gyarados isn't agile enough for Acrobatics, so this would work. Gyarados needs something for its STAB, though I guess its Mega kinda negates that need.
Yeah, Dragon Ascent is Rayquaza's thing, but it could be an event Gyarados.

There are so many pokemon that seem like they should learn cut but don't. It never fails that I come to that point in the game where you need to teach cut to a pokemon and none of my team can learn it, weirdly. Honestly if it has claws it should be able to cut, don't you think?

I wish I could say that it may have something to do with its Japanese name which more specifically refers to Iaido cut techniques. But then again similar Pokemon like Sandslash, and even Beedrill, can learn it so I can't see why else Zangoose can't.

The only possible explanation I can provide is that maybe it never crossed Game Freak's mind. I mean, Charizard couldn't learn Fly until Yellow. Chikorita line couldn't learn Sweet Scent until Generation 4 despite Meganium's Pokedex entry stating it does produce a fragrant scent.

Edit: Okay, Chikorita line learned it by TM, but couldn't learn it naturally until 4.

Last edited:
what about Jynx or Frosslas getting Ally Switch?
if someone would want to use them both in a double battle, they would need it.
The same goes for Delphox.

It's weird what do and don't learn Drain Punch. Hariyama gets the elemental punches, Focus Punch, Bullet Punch but no Drain Punch, no Mach Punch. Same with Machamp.

Some Water types can learn Flamethrower...

No, the only one that does is Gyarados and that's because he's actually a dragon, despite being a water/flying type. Volcanion's secondary type is Fire, so of course he gets it, and Palkia is again a Dragon, and has Dragon as a secondary typing, so that's why it gets it.

Skuntank actually learns Flamethrower by level up...which I don't want to think too much about.

Freeze-Dry and Samurott and Empoleon? what do you think? should they or should they not learn it?

No, the only one that does is Gyarados and that's because he's actually a dragon, despite being a water/flying type. Volcanion's secondary type is Fire, so of course he gets it, and Palkia is again a Dragon, and has Dragon as a secondary typing, so that's why it gets it.

Skuntank actually learns Flamethrower by level up...which I don't want to think too much about.

There's also Slowpoke and Octillery. Octillery I can understand, but slowpoke just seems likes weird one to me.

Well, slowpoke's bulbapedia page suggests that it may be based on giant salamenders, and we do habe a salamender mon(i.e. Charmander that can learn flamethrower soooooo...

Huh... I always thought of the slowpoke line as some weird cross between a hippo and a hermit crab. I guess that makes sense too. But just because charmander learns flamethrower doesn't mean it's logical that slowpoke should. Charmander is both a salamander and the mythical salamander, a fire elemental entity. There's really no reason a creature based on a real-world salamander should learn fire attacks since their lives revolve around water and humidity.

Anyway, not like I care too much. It's nice that they give Pokemon odd coverage like that. Even weirder to me, though, is that Skuntank learns flamethrower through level up. TM I could understand, but why does a skunk learn to breathe fire naturally?

Back
Top Bottom