• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Scyther should learn Fly.

Also, Delphox should be able to learn Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. It's a witch after all!

Not sure if I already said this, but Gyarados and certain Dragon/Flying-types should be able to learn Dragon Ascent, especially Gyarados. They seem to think Gyarados isn't agile enough for Acrobatics, so this would work. Gyarados needs something for its STAB, though I guess its Mega kinda negates that need.
Yeah, Dragon Ascent is Rayquaza's thing, but it could be an event Gyarados.

Eh... I feel like it should stay as Rayquaza's signature move, but if anything, give it to events, yeah.

Huh... I always thought of the slowpoke line as some weird cross between a hippo and a hermit crab. I guess that makes sense too. But just because charmander learns flamethrower doesn't mean it's logical that slowpoke should. Charmander is both a salamander and the mythical salamander, a fire elemental entity. There's really no reason a creature based on a real-world salamander should learn fire attacks since their lives revolve around water and humidity

Charmander is a lizard actually, so the salamander comparison is kind of moot.

Anyway, not like I care too much. It's nice that they give Pokemon odd coverage like that. Even weirder to me, though, is that Skuntank learns flamethrower through level up. TM I could understand, but why does a skunk learn to breathe fire naturally?

...it doesn't breathe fire, it's stinking gases are flammable so they just light on fire.

Nope. Freeze-Dry is one of the best things Ice has going for it and it should stay exclusive to Ice-types.
but a water type with it would not be so bad? or maybe a future fire/ice starter?

but a water type with it would not be so bad? or maybe a future fire/ice starter?

No, I'm with @Zeb on this one. Look at the Ice-type for a moment: 4 weaknesses (Fire, Rock, Steel, Fighting), 1 resistance (itself), resisted by 4 types (Fire, Water, Steel, and itself), and super-effective against 4 types (Grass, Ground, Flying, and Dragon). It's a sadly lackluster type. Sure, it's got some powerful moves, like Ice Beam and Ice Punch, but everything an Ice-type can do a Water-type can do better, which is why the Ice-type is a rarity with most people nowadays. So by keeping Freeze-Dry exclusive to Ice-types, then it gives the Ice-type a much-needed something to give it meaning again. If it had gained a resistance to Fairy, then things might be a bit different, but it didn't, leaving the Ice-type a very lackluster type. Would you really want to make a type that's already grossly overshadowed by Water even more so? So by keeping Freeze-Dry exclusive to Ice Mons, it gives it something it hasn't had in a very long time: a purpose. It allows it to bypass some of its restrictions and strike down the very type that has shoved it into it's current position: Water. Water is very dominating, and like I said, everything an Ice-type can do a Water-type can do better. Most Water-types learn at least one Ice-type move (Ice Beam being the most common one), so why would you give the already over-saturated Water-type another power advantage? So by keeping Freeze-Dry Ice-exclusive, it gives them a small niche that they've long since lost thanks to Water. So, no, Water-types should not get anywhere near Freeze-Dry, as it gives the poor Ice-type something to work with after being shunned for generation after generation.

As it is, ice type is just a crappier water type. Anything an ice pokemon can do, a water type can do better. Giving water pokemon yet one more thing that is supposed to be what ice type is good for would defy the point of the move.

Although I must say that i understand why a lot of pokemon learn Ice Beam and such. It's because in the past ice was Dragon's primary weakness, so they had to distribute it to a lot of pokemon in an effort to help balance out the Dragon type (which as we all know, didn't quite work, hence the fairy type) I think they should scale back which pokemon can learn ice type moves though now that we do have fairy type.

scale back ice moves? that would't be good in my opinion.
Only one water starter like Samurott would be so bad with it?
Its slow and like other 5 generation starters would need a buff like this.
For me they only need to create new moves, abilities and type combos.
They could reestablish and make it better somehow the freeze status more.

Last edited:
Somebody give Electrode a better movepool, please.

I have also been holding back on raising a Dodrio for generations now because I'm waiting for its movepool to fill up and offer some decent options. I was so hoping it would get Drill Run but they gave it to Fearow instead *cries*

Somebody give Electrode a better movepool, please.

It's kinda weird it doesn't learn Overheat considering it explodes a lot (and somehow Zebstrika and Manectric do learn it?). Rapid Spin seems pretty fitting too and would give it something to stand out against all other Electric-types competitively.

Back
Top Bottom