• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Zapdos with Zap Cannon. Why does it have it? It doesn't have lock on to help use it. Also why does Zapdos not learn Hurricane like the other two?

Gyro Ball is usually shown as spinning horizontally too and Electrode learns that by level up (not even a TM only thing). So I don't think it matters much.

Edit: Yeah Goombario beat me to it. :p

I'm inclined to think they tested Hurricane Zapdos out at some point and didn't like it so removed the move. Both Articuno and Moltres get the move, so I don't think it's a mistake that Zapdos doesn't. Under Rain it could use both Thunder and Hurricane with no real drawback, so they might have considered it too much. (They also changed Lightning Rod to Static on it, so I guess they think it's too good in general.)

Still, it's not like we don't have stronger things than Thunder + Hurricane Zapdos. Besides, Drizzle is no longer permanent.

Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying I think they probably tested it and didn't like it, because the other two birds getting it and Zapdos not can't be coincidence.

Gyro Ball is usually shown as spinning horizontally too and Electrode learns that by level up (not even a TM only thing). So I don't think it matters much.:p

Which is hilarious, because Gyro Ball does more damage the slower your pokemon is and Electrode is known for being stupid-fast. On top of Overheat and Rapid Spin, I think it should get Bulldoze, Superpower, Signal Beam, Dark Pulse and Suckerpunch too. Looking at it's move pool, it really is in a sad state. This poor thing has no type coverage.

Which is hilarious, because Gyro Ball does more damage the slower your pokemon is and Electrode is known for being stupid-fast. On top of Overheat and Rapid Spin, I think it should get Bulldoze, Superpower, Signal Beam, Dark Pulse and Suckerpunch too. Looking at it's move pool, it really is in a sad state. This poor thing has no type coverage.
Voltorb/Electrode already learn Signal Beam and Sucker Punch.

^Doesn't every pokemon get hidden power though? It's damage isn't very high either. It's rare to be able to one-KO, or even two-KO with it even if it's super effective.

They really need to change Zapdos's ability to Drizzle or added on with Hurricane!
Imagine Zapdos with that and Thunder and Roost!

You've made a monster :p That's a great idea for Mega Zapdos, tbh.

^Doesn't every pokemon get hidden power though? It's damage isn't very high either. It's rare to be able to one-KO, or even two-KO with it even if it's super effective.
Yeah, it was a joke. The fact that Electrode has to rely on HP for coverage is just a testament to how bad its movepool is.

Well Electrode only learns Sucker Punch from a move tutor in Gen IV, so personally I wouldn't really class that as learning it considering the lengths you have to go through to get one these days (and even then it won't have a pentagon so you can't use it on Battle Spot if you wanted to). That's going back two generations (and soon to be three) and then having to transfer it forward.

It's like saying Qwilfish already learns Swords Dance just because it can learn it back in Gen III (and none of the later generations). Yeah, sure, it can have it but how many hoops should you need to jump through for it?

Come to think of it, Electrode's stats are downright awful. I don't think it would matter if it could learn, say, Flamethrower or Signal Beam. That 140 Base Speed makes Sucker Punch kind of useless, too.

It already does learn Signal Beam from move tutors, but adding Overheat alone would be enough imo. Mega Manectric gets by with Electric/Fire/Ice coverage so I see no reason why Electrode couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom