• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Excuse me? Alola Raichu has base 110 speed, which is fast, a lot fast. And it cannot be called "lack of speed". I think it's an insult to Raichu to call it slow,

yes you are right, but pikachu got that move in past. But take that we have now ground and rock types that have greater speed. If it would learn it through breeding it would not be a great problem.

Ok I understand that Surf is a powerfull move but thats why we have ground/water and other anti water abilities
(hope they buff Water Compation). Maybe we will get Sand Sport in future to reduce water damage like Mud Sport and Water Sport do with electric and fire moves.

Or make the user heal some hp with it or let moves like Aqua Ring and others still work when re-entering the battle
and let it attack the foe before switching.

Last edited:
But take that we have now ground and rock types that have greater speed.
Raichu has a base speed of 110. (which doubles in Electric Terrain for Alolan Raichu, to speeds higher than even Deoxys' speed form) Rock-types aren't really any more a threat to it than other types-even though they're more likely to learn Ground-type moves, they don't have any benefits to learning them that another type wouldn't have. And the only Ground-types faster than Raichu are Zygarde and Ground-type Arceus-both of which are legendaries. Even including Rock-types as a threat, there's just Lycanroc, Minior, Rock-type Arceus, and Aerodactyl. Of those, only Aerodactyl is significantly faster, the others being separated by a distance of only about ten points, and half of them are still weak to Electric-Rock doesn't resist Electric, so it doesn't cancel out Flying's weakness.

Since Water Gun is about spitting water from your body (as per Bulbapedia), does it make sense that some Ground-types can learn it?
Well, some Ground-types, like Wooper and Quagsire are also part Water-type, so there's that. :p

Actually, though, Water Gun isn't really said to be with water from the body-the only move descriptor that gives a place where the water is supposed to come from is in FRLG, where it just says it's shot from the mouth-doesn't have to be water from the user's body. And the only Ground-type Pokemon that can learn Water Gun now is Phanphy, by breeding. It doesn't make sense if you only look at its typing, but if you look at the design, it's obvious-Phanphy is based on elephants, and they can spray water from their trunks.

Kommo-O should have learned Close Combat. Sky Uppercut is too weak for its accuracy and Brick Break is too weak period.
Silvally should have learned more support moves in general. A jack of all trades is useful because they can use their versatility to always have an edge over their opponent. If this thing can learn steel wing it should have been able to use roost so you can use it defensively instead of being forced to go offensive with 95/95 attacking stats.
Lycanroc should have had earthquake. Pretty much every rock type gets it and being without it really stings in the coverage department. And before you say it's to light and/or skinny to use it let me remind you that a 2 foot pine cone that weighs 16 pounds can learn it.
Salazzle while it learns attract through TM I thought considering its design and dex entries attract would have been more appropriate and useful as an evolution move than captivate.

Shell Trap - should others learn it?

-Torkoal (fire) through breeding

-Torterra grass/ground ,the continent pokemon, this one only bause the rocks(mountains) and shell on its back make me wonder if they could work like a volcano?
Groudon, the contient pokemon, learns grass and fire type moves.
We had fire types learning water type moves maybe Torterra could learn Shel Trap if not even Eruption through breeding.
It should also learn a water type damage dealing move like surf or waterfall.
This would allow it to seperate itself more from Chesnaught and other grass starter pokemon more and make up nice for it's ice weakness.

Because Alola is a new region they could say that after time of breeding some learned it.

Last edited:
I know I've complained about Tsareena's move options before, but if they're going make Trop Kick so weak they should at least give her access to Leaf Blade or Seed Bomb to have another physical Grass move to go along with that spectacular attack stat. Seed Bomb could very well be an option in a subsequent game via Move Tutor.

Golurk should get Steel Worker instead of Klutz and Bullet Punch.
Or his mega form should get this.

I think it has something to do with it being based on a sumo wrestler. ( Glossary of sumo terms - Wikipedia talks a bit about a sort of tradition with "power water") I think the fact that it doubles when the user is at half or less of its health might also factor in-the idea of getting stronger in a tough spot-but that doesn't seem like enough, since it's the only Fighting-type that learns it.

It may also be a subtle reference to the fact Makuhita is the signature Pokemon of the surfer dude himself Brawley.

Which really begs the question why they don't just go ahead and give Pikachu and fam access to Surf if they're going to continue making references to it.

Lycanroc should have had earthquake. Pretty much every rock type gets it and being without it really stings in the coverage department. And before you say it's to light and/or skinny to use it let me remind you that a 2 foot pine cone that weighs 16 pounds can learn it.

Lycanroc and Nihilego (and technically Silvally-rock) are the only rock types with zero options for ground-type coverage. Even Kabutops, with a very similar stat distribution to Lycanroc, gets earth power.

____

Also, why can't Incineroar have sucker punch?

I know I've complained about Tsareena's move options before, but if they're going make Trop Kick so weak they should at least give her access to Leaf Blade or Seed Bomb to have another physical Grass move to go along with that spectacular attack stat. Seed Bomb could very well be an option in a subsequent game via Move Tutor.

or make Trop Kick a priority move with lowering attack and give it also to Breeloom.
(that would have made sense and be good for those grass types)

Last edited:
Abomasnow should really get Aurora Veil, due to its ability and infamous amount of weaknesses.
Or Aurorus. Seriously, give this thing Aurora Veil if not nothing else.

or make Trop Kick a priority move with lowering attack and give it also to Breeloom.
(that would have made sense and be good for those grass types)
I'd still use Bullet Seed, mind you. It's difficult to beat a multi hit move under Technician and it's not like Breloom is begging for more Grass moves.

I've been wondering how Drampa gets roost and Fly.. I can't call those arms wings and it's body looks like it would be incapable of flying. Aerodynamic friendly, it does not look.. at least Golurk has a good reason of it getting fly being mostly based on a futuristic golem/ animatronic..

Back
Top Bottom