• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

I think it's because it's based on Chinese dragons, which can fly without really having visible wings.

I've been wondering how Drampa gets roost and Fly.. I can't call those arms wings and it's body looks like it would be incapable of flying. Aerodynamic friendly, it does not look.. at least Golurk has a good reason of it getting fly being mostly based on a futuristic golem/ animatronic..
it's based on the Dragon from "the Neverending Story" and it works well.

Trop Kick and Decidueye needs to hapen.
The bird is know for kicking moves from pokedex entries and reducing oponents attack may get handy with its poor defence.

I'd still use Bullet Seed, mind you. It's difficult to beat a multi hit move under Technician and it's not like Breloom is begging for more Grass moves.

yes but reducing the oponents attack one stage makes it worth it.
But you are right it would need to reduce sp. def instead or get a sp. def boost.
(why do we have so many attack lowering moves and not so many sp. attak lowering ones??? waiting for moves that would work like Reversed Ancient Power, Omnious Wind...)

Hmmm should "Kings Shield" should be for all king named or king based pokemon?

Nidoking, Seaking, Slowking, Slaking, Kingdra, Kingler,

it doesnt protect from status moves, but it would be better for them then Protect.

Also, it would also do for Empoleon and Serperior. Empoleon is based on emperor penguins and nepoleon, and Serperior has a high-and-mighty theme going for it, since it has 'superior' in it's name.
the Alolan Guardians with their mask thing also could be abble to use it? think of it.

Nope. Tapus are Deities, not Kings.
yes you are right but their masks could be nice shields.
That could buff some of their use, and the shield is for protection of Kings and for the Guardians the King is Alola itself.
What is with other royal pokemon like Pyroar? should it or should it not?

Other question should Tsareena learn also more sound moves beyond it dance moves?
It has sleep talk and round, thats a nice touch.
It has no visible mouth, but more sound users would make Throat Chop more used.

why Turtonator does not get Dragon Breath ???

Last edited:
yes you are right but their maks could be nice shields.
That could buff some of their use, and the shield is for protection of Kings and for the Guardians the King is Alola itself.
Guardian=/ King
What is with other royal pokemon like Pyroar? should it or should it not?

Guardian is more near to God, than to king. Is your local god/deity a king? I don't think so.
And Pyroar is a lion, not a king. It is not royal in any way.

Other question should Tsareena learn also more sound moves beyond it dance moves?
It has sleep talk and round, thats a nice touch.
It has no visible mouth, but more sound users would make Throat Chop more used.
I don't think a nonsensical move should be given to a Pokemon just to increase the use of another move.
You have given "Let's give Butterfree earthquake so that levitate is more used" kind of argument.

How is a footballer queen (Tsareena's kicking abilities may compare to a footballer) able to sing?

How is a footballer queen (Tsareena's kicking abilities may compare to a footballer) able to sing?

some animals and even people have double roles and can more then you think off.
But still good that it learns 2 sound moves.

Guardian is more near to God, than to king. Is your local god/deity a king? I don't think so.
And Pyroar is a lion, not a king. It is not royal in any way.

Pyroar, the Royal Pokémon.
Empoleon , the Emperor Pokemon.
Serperior the Royal Pokemon.
Slowking, Rpyal and Monarch.
Look at Emperor, Royal and Monarch categories in English and in Japanese.

Now we would need only a royal fire starter pokemon, and we have ox, rabbit, sheep/goat, snake, horse .

Minos was the king of Greece and the minotaur comes into mind.
Hope they use fire/steel or fire/ground typing, but steel would be better against water if its slow also when you look that we got dark, fighting and psychic and give ability like the Golden Touch, that could paralyze the foe (and maybe change its typing into steel for one turn only against the first pokemon) it has contact with in battle. + mixed with Roman Gladiator it could look like a fighting type and get Sacred Sword, ground, rock and other nice moves. Could see this one getting a ground priority move and Sucker Punch.

Because I dont see a fire/fairy with a Ox that would rather be suted with a greek Pan creature, half man -half goat with flute.

The same goes for
snake(fire/poison or fire/ground),
rabbit(fire/electric) and
horse(centaur ,headleshorseman,Sleipnir, fire/ghost)
This way we could get starters like Empoleon, Serprior and new one get Kings Shield.

Last edited:
I realize that "hop" is a better translation than "splash" so I won't complain about Hopppip getting it...

But why does Mimikyu get splash?

some animals and even people have double roles and can more then you think off.
We have got whole of tsareena's bio, and there is NOTHING to show that it sings. There is no evidence that Tsareena are good at singing. Sorry, Tsareena has no double roles going.

Now we would need only a royal fire starter pokemon, and we have ox, rabbit, sheep/goat, snake, horse .

Minos was the king of Greece and the minotaur comes into mind.
Hope they use fire/steel or fire/ground typing, but steel would be better against water if its slow also when you look that we got dark, fighting and psychic and give ability like the Golden Touch, that could paralyze the foe (and maybe change its typing into steel for one turn only against the first pokemon) it has contact with in battle. + mixed with Roman Gladiator it could look like a fighting type and get Sacred Sword, ground, rock and other nice moves. Could see this one getting a ground priority move and Sucker Punch.

Because I dont see a fire/fairy with a Ox that would rather be suted with a greek Pan creature, half man -half goat with flute.

The same goes for
snake(fire/poison or fire/ground),
rabbit(fire/electric) and
horse(centaur ,headleshorseman,Sleipnir, fire/ghost)
This way we could get starters like Empoleon, Serprior and new one get Kings Shield.

We simply CANNOT do with a slow fire starter. We haven't had a particularly fast one for 3 generations!! And we've had bulky Incineroar, so I think we need a frail and fast Fire starter for once.

My Idea:
Fire/Fairy Pegasus/Unicorn Pokemon.
Ability: Fairy Flight (makes the user immune to ground moves and increases special attack by 2 stages upon Switch in)

Horses are known for being majestic.

We simply CANNOT do with a slow fire starter. We haven't had a particularly fast one for 3 generations!! And we've had bulky Incineroar, so I think we need a frail and fast Fire starter for once.

Delphox actually is in a good speed tier. She's not Deoxys-S or anything, but her speed is good enough that your argument is invalid. In fact. She's the second fastest Fire Starter, behind Infernape (and of course not counting Megas.) she's actually only 4 points behind Infernape in that regard, even.

As for the Fire/Fairy Pegasus thing, why make it its own brand new Pokémon when you can link it to Rapidash, who is right there?

Last edited:

My Idea:
Fire/Fairy Pegasus/Unicorn Pokemon.
Ability: Fairy Flight (makes the user immune to ground moves and increases special attack by 2 stages upon Switch in)

Charizard speed 100, Typhlosion 100, Blaziken 80, Infernape 108, Emboar 65 , Delphox 104, Incineroar 60,

4 fast fire starters , 3 where the fastest ones in their respective generations of starters.

I can say you so that in speed I think it will go depending what they have in store about typing and relations between difrent generation starters.

If they want next generation have correlation with past generations then I would say that its really hard to tell.
If they want to create a sound move based fire type then fairy typing and Soundproof would be some what good, then could be nice matched with Throat Chop Incinearoar and Primarinas Liquid Voice.

Snakes and Rabbits are fast animals, think of it we got dog , now a cat/tiger, I would put that now should be rabbit or goat, but rabbit has a relation with speed more then the sheep. and after rabbit we could get a snake but who knows.

Taking that Delphox is weak to Incineraor , I would say a Pan goat fire/fairy may come and it could be faster then Incinearoar and Primarina even then Deciduey but it would be a special attacker or mixed one with also good both defences. If using sound moves then Incineroar Throat Chop will work. But Deciduey wopuld need something more then steel wing to counter it.

If a rabbit and go into totally diffrent typing then fire/electric, that would allow it to be fast and counter primarina, most water types and would fall to Torterra the turtle.(if it is a crossed generation)
If a snake then fire/poison against deciduey and primarina but weak to delphox, empoleon and torterra. Plus fast Rabbit means faster then Delphox but not then Greninja, becuse it will probably learn Flame Charge , Vol Switch, Parabolic Charge, Nuzzle, Zing Zap, and priority moves. Could or Should it be faster then Serperior(pokemon without ground moves) taking thats a fire type?

also look that Greninja(dark) is weak to Primarina(fairy), Delphox(psychic) to Incineroar(dark) and Chesnaught(fight) to Deciduey(ghost), thats not a coincidence.
If they go this path then next water starter logically should be secondary typing electric or poison, the next fire starter could be fairy or ground, rock I don't see(it has no immunity calling for it) and grass paired with ice or dark, but in past grass was always to weak and that may change in next generations seeing that they give it better dual typings lately.

Plus we had between gen 4, 5 and 6 a game changer in typings when we take that Torterra ground typing was stronger then Chesnaught fighting, Delphox was better then Infernape and Emboar due to psyhic and Empoleon was neutral to Greninja in dual type.

Then is the criteria of relation between their typings and their speed...

Take last 2 generations:
Decidueye grass/ghost is slower then Greninja water/dark, where dark is 2xeffective to ghost.
But Deciduey is 2xsupper efective against psychic with ghost typing.
Plus Deciduey has 100 sp.def by Delphox powerfull sp. attack. 114.
Deciduey is faster then Incinearoar beacuse of that double weakness.

What a pitty that Delphox has no poison or steel options against Primarinas fairy tying or against the water typing but its faster atleast then it.
(Moves & Abilities Discussion/Speculation: "Breakwater" rock move, a Throat chop against water type based moves)

Incineroar maybe weak to fighting but its hp and both defences and moveset allows it to take fighting pokes on + in future it should get Bounce and Flying Press becuse of Wrestler Jumping in the Air , it learns actually Acrobatics, Bulldoze(reduces speed) against fighting types, thats good but more poison options and that psychic biting move would make a nice buff .

a fire/fairy Unicorn? not too simple for a starter?
mega Rapidash?
some Horses are majestic but I dont think they will do a regular horse, I can feel a centaur but 4 legged.
Levitate could hapen if you read about Sleipnir, but they could give it Bounce , Fly or other move to avoid ground based moves. Plus they could create a new ability for it.
We didnt yet get a ghost, fairy (greek Pan), steel( Taurus) horse pokemon.
a fire/ghost would be faster then Incineroar but slower then Deciduey would say 65 like Emboar.

If they would want to amaze us , a fire/fairy , fire/ghost, fire/electric, fire/steel, fire/poison(all 2x against water) and a grass/steel rhino, grass/electric bear , grass/ice wolf, grass/rock Lion, grass/??? elephant or gorilla, would be nice, or a water/bug pirate spider, water/ghost elephant a water/electric jaguar or water/fighting bear or water/poison hippo with corrosion would be good and majestic enough for the next 5 generations if with right moves and abilities.

+ mega evolutions with use of diffrent typings and abilities.

But it depends what they have in store for us. After a slow speed generation with focus on priority, they could make next generation a little faster but not super fast like in previous ones.
I think that they try to make more equality between already existing pokemon when creating the new ones but they need to fill it up with right old and new; abilities and moves.

Last edited:
As for the Fire/Fairy Pegasus thing, why make it its own brand new Pokémon when you can link it to Rapidash, who is right there?
Ninetales and Delphox are, also very similar in concepts, and both are majorly special attackers, but a bit of Gamefreak design magic made both of them miles apart.
They could do the same for the new Fire Starter. And it, and Rapidash will be completely different in competitive roles.
Rapidash is mostly physical (which I can see by it's stats), and it cannot take high advantage of fairy STAB, since it's mostly special.
But, the Pegasus mon which I've intended is mostly special, to take full advantage of both it's stabs, and it's ability also helps it in that.

EDIT: Rapidash will need a MASSIVE overhaul to be remotely useful as a Fire/Fairy.
1. A Stat overall. Needs to have slightly more special attack.If we need Rapidash to remain physical, it's only fairy option will be Play Rough.
2. As of now, Rapidash does not learn even a single fairy move.It would need a moveset tweak.

So, even a mega will have to completely change Rapidash's competitive role to make it remotely similar to the Pegasus mon.
Here's my Pearsonal Starter Trio.

Water Type:
Water/Flying flamingo Pokemon. Fully evolves into Water/Fighting swam/flamingo Pokemon, with ability "Wingworker" (Flying type variation of steel worker). Will be a physical attacker with average speed and defences.

Grass Type:
Grass Type rabbit Pokemon, evolves into a Grass/Psychic trickster rabbit. Ability undecided. Will be mostly defensive.

Fire Type:
Fire Type horse Pokemon, evolving into a speedy, special oriented Fire/Fairy Pegasus Pokemon, with fairy flight ability described in a previous post.

if my theory is right the next generation starters will be type wise weaker or neutral then this generation starters.
That would hint for fire/ghost horse, water/bug pirate spider(myth of greek spiderwoman),
Or they will go the path with strenght fire/fairy, or neutrality with poison, electric or steel for fire.

Grass is a uknown becuse they try tu use actual animals that live in the same region.
There for a wolf(grass/ice), bear, horse or a rhino(gras/steel) ,spider, snake/goat.

or a assasin wolf (grass/steel), pirate bell spider(water/bug), fire/poison snake.

could be a water/poison hippo with volt absorb and corrosion,
fire/electric rabbit with immunity ability?
and grass/rock lion.

Last edited:
Y'all do realize that 100 speed is not "fast", right? A Pokémon can't be reasonably characterized as "fast" unless it at least hits 111 speed to beat out the extremely clogged 110 speed tier (mega metagross, gengar, stuff like that). A 100 speed Pokémon needs either

a) exceptional (sp)atk or (sp)def
b) dragon dance, shell smash, or quiver dance
or c) a choice scarf

in order to be viable.

Horse, 4 horseman of apocalypse, that screams for a fire/ghost type in future.
We had a fire, electric, ground and water horse till now.
(65 speed to match up with incineroar)
This way we maybe could get water/fighting grizzly(brown with some blue)bear.

I hope then for a water/ghost elephant starter in some future generation, becuse Donphan was the only elephant till now. This one could be 75 speed.

Deciduey is part ghost , I know it got Smack Down(rock) , I know that Zygarde has 3 signature moves, but thousand arrows , should be posibble, becuse a ghost is a spirit and a grass/ghost theoretically should be able to learn the same energy based move.
What a pitty that Smack Down has no priority, but atleast you can hit enemy pokemon using fly, bounce(Greninja), sky drop. But a waste that Greninja doesnt learn any ground type moves to take that advantage when it needs it.

If it really is based on a burrowing owl or an regular one owl it should get Dig , Bounce, Drill Run could be a option, Sand Tomb or Earth Power taking its spiritual powers,
Its a Archer Bird that needs really a second priority move like shadow sneak, or make Spirit Schackle gain 2+ priority when the foe is already traped.

Y'all do realize that 100 speed is not "fast", right? A Pokémon can't be reasonably characterized as "fast" unless it at least hits 111 speed to beat out the extremely clogged 110 speed tier (mega metagross, gengar, stuff like that). A 100 speed Pokémon needs either

a) exceptional (sp)atk or (sp)def
b) dragon dance, shell smash, or quiver dance
or c) a choice scarf

in order to be viable.
Talonflame is fast but they always can create a Gale Wings like ability to allow others to move faster+ priority moves + moves to rise/lower stats.

Not a good reason for it not to be able to Fly.

Flygon was never a Flying type, but it can use Fly. And Decidueye has wings and it capable of flight, as seen in its Z-move animation (as well as Brave Bird)

Greninja and Hawlucha got Bounce. (not to mention how many water types)
Golurk can use Fly.
Plus Deciduey got Brave Bird , Pluck, Peck, Feather Dance, Roost, Acrobatics, but it had 2 part flyig stages.
But yes the Alolan starters need some buff in their movesets looking at their speed.

Also if something can asimilate water and if its a sand ghost, maybe it could change weather with sunny day and rain dance like it does with sandstorm

Incineroar and Chesnaught both are slow and good furry candidates for the move Infestation to trap there foes.
Chesnaught needs Accel Rock

Last edited:
Several regional birds can't learn...

Peck. They include Pidgey's line, Starly's line, and Pidove's line. But Dewgong, Maractus, Malamar, and even the Nidoking line can peck.

The description of peck is "The target is jabbed with a sharply pointed beak or horn." I agree it's weird for some birds to not learn it, but Malamar has a beak, and Dewgong, the male Nidoran line and Maractus have horns, so it's not at all weird for them to learn it. Same reason Goldeen learns it too.

Back
Top Bottom