• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

The description of peck is "The target is jabbed with a sharply pointed beak or horn." I agree it's weird for some birds to not learn it, but Malamar has a beak, and Dewgong, the male Nidoran line and Maractus have horns, so it's not at all weird for them to learn it. Same reason Goldeen learns it too.
Yeah, but Bug Buzz said "The user vibrates its wings to generate a damaging sound wave." until Gen 7 yet wingless Pokemon like Genesect, Karrablast, Joltik and techichally Shedinja due to it never moving learn it. Also, Absol can't learn moves like Peck(by that logic) and Smart Strike, moves that involve the horn, despite having a massive horn AND being able to use Megahorn as an egg move.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Bug Buzz said "The user vibrates its wings to generate a damaging sound wave." until Gen 7 yet wingless Pokemon like Genesect, Karrablast, Joltik and techichally Shedinja due to it never moving learn it. Also, Absol can't learn moves like Peck(by that logic) and Smart Strike, moves that involve the horn, despite having a massive horn AND being able to use Megahorn as an egg move.

Peck and Smart Strike are used by Pokémon that can use something pointy to jab/stab with. Absol with its scythe like thing at the side of its head would have to bend its head in a really weird way to be able to actually jab/stab someone with the point of it. Therefore it not learning Peck or Smart Strike makes sense. Smart Strike has some weird inclusions though, like Mew and Togetic. And I agree about Bug Buzz, that stopped making sense a while ago too. Peck makes sense in all cases that can learn it as far as I can see though, except for some birds and horned Pokémon not learning it while having a beak or a horn at the top of their head.

Peck and Smart Strike are used by Pokémon that can use something pointy to jab/stab with. Absol with its scythe like thing at the side of its head would have to bend its head in a really weird way to be able to actually jab/stab someone with the point of it. Therefore it not learning Peck or Smart Strike makes sense. Smart Strike has some weird inclusions though, like Mew and Togetic. And I agree about Bug Buzz, that stopped making sense a while ago too. Peck makes sense in all cases that can learn it as far as I can see though, except for some birds and horned Pokémon not learning it while having a beak or a horn at the top of their head.
Pointy things to stab with? Pinsir and Heracross can't learn it despite the massive sharp horns on their head. Explain in detail.

Pointy things to stab with? Pinsir and Heracross can't learn it despite the massive sharp horns on their head. Explain in detail.

I quote from myself:
Peck makes sense in all cases that can learn it as far as I can see though, except for some birds and horned Pokémon not learning it while having a beak or a horn at the top of their head.

In other words, it indeed doesn't make sense that not all birds and horned Pokémon learn the move. But I guess choices have to be made somewhere, some Pokémon would end up with enormous movepools if they would learn every single move that fits them. So that's the simple explanation for that.

Wait a minute!

Snorunt, according to the Pokédex, can make people prosperous.

WHY DOES IT NOT GET PAY DAY
Well, since Pikachu and Raichu could get Pay Day via TM in Gen 1 and you can get Pokemon from gen 1 you can breed the two and get a Snorunt with Pay Day. I think.

Only Hoppip and Purrloin can learn it through breeding. I checked.
Well, Snorunt is in the Fairy Egg Group, like Pikachu and Raichu. I think it can be passed down.

But why. The actual magikrap. Can Miltank. Learn Blizzard, Hyper Beam, Wake Up Slap... Miltank’s a COW. A cow should not be able to shoot lasers or summon snowstorms. I cant even. But the rubber chicken that is Moltres can learn Rain Dance as well, so...
Wait what.

Do you think that there is a chance that in future Chesnaught may get First Impression?
It has similar body posture like Golisopod and looks not only like a knight but also a football quarterback.

Why do Tyrantrum(71speed), Rampardos (58speed) and Archeops(110speed) not get some priority moves?

Could see a Tyrantrum with some kind of priority move, but maybe also not, but maybe Fake Out?

Rampardos looks like Quick Attack or Extreem Speed.

And the is also Accelrock to think of in future.

Last edited:
I do find it a little odd that Lapras can learn the move thunder, seeing as its typings are both completely unrelated to electricity.

I do find it a little odd that Lapras can learn the move thunder, seeing as its typings are both completely unrelated to electricity.
Pokemon that can learn Thunder also include:
Muk,Zangoose,Nidoking,Dunsparce,Loppuny,Darkrai,Mimikyu,Absol,Alolan Marowak only,Blissey, Miltank, and much more! Buy yourself a Thunder today!
Yeah, it’s kinda ridiculous.

lapras is kind of an unorthodox water-type, having some sort of dragon-y aspect to it so it learning thunder/tbolt isn't too strange.

but besides that i think that tapu koko/bulu should get play rough or decently powerful physical fairy STAB.

Goodra needs to learn falcon punch but I’ve said why in RM14.
lapras is kind of an unorthodox water-type, having some sort of dragon-y aspect to it so it learning thunder/tbolt isn't too strange.

but besides that i think that tapu koko/bulu should get play rough or decently powerful physical fairy STAB.

Me too.
Also, why can’t Incineroar and Hawalucha learn more wrestling moves for being based on, well, wrestlers?

One thing that has bugged me a lot is that Shiinotic can't learn Rain Dance and it's a freaking mushroom. Mushrooms produce spores that can make it rain, and Shiinotic is a freaking mushroom...

Back
Top Bottom