• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Parting Shot for Decidueye and Primarina.

its a sound and wepon based move that fits there MO.

This was fixed, but in Gen 1, Charizard couldn't learn Fly and Lickitung couldn't learn Lick.

in yellow they fixed it because it was more anime based the games that didn't in gen 1 were green,blue and red

i find it strange myself that none of the lake guardians can learn fly (because of it ability to levitate and the distortion world stuff in platinum) or any HM move from that matter

Delcatty should be able to learn Shadow Claw. The move's description says that "The user slashes with a sharp claw made from shadows." Delcatty having no claws shouldn't be a problem, especially when Fennekin can learn Scratch.

Here's one that has puzzled me. Decidueye can learn Acrobatics, yet its pre-evos can't. Why? It would give them a decent STAB move that can tide them over for a while. Sure, Pluck is okay, and it will lose the Flying-type upon evolution, but why does Decidueye learn Acrobatics yet its pre-evos can't? While Pluck has more "raw" BP, Acrobatics can become hugely powerful when not holding an item + STAB, and by the time you get Acrobatics, held items (bar Berries and occasional ones dropped from "event" battles) are far and few between, so it wouldn't hamper it. It would really give Dartrix something powerful to work with. And on top of that, Torracat and Brionne can learn Acrobatics, yet Dartrix can't, and it has STAB compatibility before evolving. What's the deal with that? Was GF afraid that a STAB Acrobatics from Dartrix be too OP? Even so, it doesn't really make much sense to me. If they want a Pokemon to be strong, they have to give it stuff to work with while they can, otherwise it's wasted.

Speaking of which, both Talonflame's and Rowlet's dex data says that they can release rapid kick attacks. But neither of them learn actual kicking attacks (Decidueye can learn Low Sweep, but that's more of a leg sweep vs an actual kick). My solution: give them both Double Kick. Not only would it be true to its lore, but a lot of non-Fighting Mons can learn it (13 non-Fighting types can learn it via Lv Up, +23 can learn it through breeding, compared to 12 TOTAL Fighting Mons that can learn it). And it wouldn't be the first time a bird had some sort of Fighting type attack: Staraptor with Close Combat comes to mind, and Braviary used to learn Rock Smash before it went bye-bye. So why not give them Double Kick? It would allow both to fight against Rock, Ice, and Steel types with ease, even if it's just used for early game, and it would fit their dex data better. Sure, Double Kick isn't a super-powered move, but even so, it would grant type coverage AND be true to the data. I mean, it wouldn't hurt it, right? Just give it an option that would also be true to the dex and have some use to them.

That's my 2 cents on the subject.

biggest pet pev i have is with Lugia. A Pokemon that can make a storm that lasts 40 days with the flap of its wings can not learn the mighty Hurricane attack, last time I checked a Hurricane is a type of storm.....

Tyrantrum should be able to learn Outrage by lv up instead of just a tutor

Incineroar should have gotten Fire Punch since it becomes bipedal after evolving

I feel Kommo-o and its line has a lack of fighting moves as it levels up. I wish Kommo-o could have gotten Mach Punch to help it along with its lack of speed.

why has Mandibuzz not have any hp draning moves?
Is there any particular reason it should? I don't see anything in its Dex entries mentioning it, and there's not any Dark-type or Flying-type draining moves. (excluding Oblivion Wing, since it's a sig move)

Is there any particular reason it should? I don't see anything in its Dex entries mentioning it, and there's not any Dark-type or Flying-type draining moves. (excluding Oblivion Wing, since it's a sig move)
but you know what kind of animal it is based on?
carnivores should somehow heal after taking down a oponet or biting it or something that kind.

but you know what kind of animal it is based on?
carnivores should somehow heal after taking down a oponet or biting it or something that kind.

Carnivores EAT their prey, do you really think that Mandibuzz would eat the opposing Pokemon? Bite and Crunch are the moves you're looking for. They're enough for carnivores. Heck, even peck will work!

Carnivores EAT their prey, do you really think that Mandibuzz would eat the opposing Pokemon? Bite and Crunch are the moves you're looking for. They're enough for carnivores. Heck, even peck will work!

not damage only, there should a physical bite based draining move exist till now.
Leech life is physical and it would work fine on it, but really we should get more hp draning moves from diffrent types and some physical based ones. Poison and ice would make good candidates for new hp draning physical moves. Steel could block one atleast. Ground and dark also would suit for it.
Maybe a dragon draning move in future?

Like Dream Eater don't works with dark types and so on.

Or imagine it with Extreem speed or Fake Out?

Last edited:
@Matleo, you do realise that a Pokémon's design factors into its moveset... right?

yes, but do you see the potential behid its design and some natural factors? fisz need to eat and logically if somethings form is based on hp then it should have option to gain more hp even drain it to maintain it.

yes, but do you see the potential behid its design and some natural factors? fisz need to eat and logically if somethings form is based on hp then it should have option to gain more hp even drain it to maintain it.

It's main theme isn't eating.
By your logic, every Pokemon needs to eat, so, would you give the Pichu family bite and crunch?

You're arguing for it? Wishiwashi doesn't actually have it.
I thought it did.

Noivern can’t learn Bug bite. Might not seem that bad until you remember that Noivern and Noibat eat fruit. So, uh... Um...
Bats eat a lot and Noivern would use more energy considering it’s 5 feet tall! And no, that’s not it’s wingspan. This picture shows how large Noivern is compared to Ash, who we can assume is about 4 feet tall. So a Noivern should really be eating every Berry it sees. And it should get Gluttony too.

then what about Decidueye and Role Play, Entertaiment or moves that switch or neutralize abilities? slow starters need something special.
Primarina and Incineroar could also need something similar.
Serperior got in past gastro acid.

It's main theme isn't eating.
By your logic, every Pokemon needs to eat, so, would you give the Pichu family bite and crunch?
mayby not to all, but really a buzzard not getting better healing options and draning moves?

Back
Top Bottom