• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Hippowdon's tie to beaches and waves isn't as strong as Palossand, but it would be cool to see.
The japanese name for Shore Up is Sand Gather so it doesn't need to be taken so literally. I also hope they return to depict Hippowdon with the sand flowing out of its holes. I think it's missing something how it is portrayed now.

I find it hard to believe that Forretress cannot learn Iron Head in any shape or form. I mean, it would be a pretty powerful move for it, even though the finch side-effect would be rather useless due to its low speed. But even so, it would be a rather sturdy STAB move that would work better than the three Steel moves it actually learns (the variable BP Gyro Ball and the Special-based Mirror Shot and Flash Cannon). Considering its head (and whole body, for that matter) is encased in a metal shell, Iron Head would be logical for it, and yet it can't learn it. I've always found that weird and it would help buff Forretress' power considerably.

I find it hard to believe that Forretress cannot learn Iron Head in any shape or form. I mean, it would be a pretty powerful move for it, even though the finch side-effect would be rather useless due to its low speed. But even so, it would be a rather sturdy STAB move that would work better than the three Steel moves it actually learns (the variable BP Gyro Ball and the Special-based Mirror Shot and Flash Cannon). Considering its head (and whole body, for that matter) is encased in a metal shell, Iron Head would be logical for it, and yet it can't learn it. I've always found that weird and it would help buff Forretress' power considerably.
It... can though. Learns it by level-up, I believe. If not, then I just fought a very haxxed ace trainer in the Battle Tree.

It... can though. Learns it by level-up, I believe. If not, then I just fought a very haxxed ace trainer in the Battle Tree.

No, it can't. I just checked the LV up moves. You might've seen it use Heavy Slam, which is a move it can learn that I accidentally forgot, but it can't learn Iron Head in any shape or form.

No, it can't. I just checked the LV up moves. You might've seen it use Heavy Slam, which is a move it can learn that I accidentally forgot, but it can't learn Iron Head in any shape or form.
Omg, that's my bad. I misread your initial post and thought you were talking about ferrothorn. Disregard me :p

Yeah I agree, that's a weird one.

As the "wizard" of the trio and having the versatility of move sets common to the Psychic type, Delphox should have a wider array of moves: Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Dark Pulse, Hex, Thunder Wave, Flash Cannon, and Cosmic Power to name a few.

Also retcon its ability into Magic Bounce or Magic Guard.

As the "wizard" of the trio and having the versatility of move sets common to the Psychic type, Delphox should have a wider array of moves: Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Dark Pulse, Hex, Thunder Wave, Flash Cannon, and Cosmic Power to name a few.

Also retcon its ability into Magic Bounce or Magic Guard.
I totally agree with you on this one!

It really can't learn Iron Head? I never noticed, most Forretress wouldn't care since they're slow enough to use Gyro Ball decently enough anyway. I'd say Lucario needs Iron Head more, its only strong physical Steel type STAB is the somewhat unwieldy Iron Tail. Or maybe give it Meteor Mash instead?

I'd like to see Blastoise with Lock On. It doesn't really have much that could benefit from it but it's a good aesthetic fit I feel.

I like the idea of Hypno learning Follow Me. Hypno sort of has a defensive role so it may be able to make effective use of the move and it would work with its popular image and creepy demeanor.

Now that Sacred Sword isn't restricted to just the Swords of Justice two other Pokemon that should be able to learn it are Gallade and Samurott.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Blastoise with Lock On. It doesn't really have much that could benefit from it but it's a good aesthetic fit I feel.
Y'know... Now I'm suddenly reminded of this Gen II event which gave Zap Cannon to the entire evolutionary line.
No, I'm not joking. Blastoise could learn Zap Cannon once upon a time.

Now that Sacred Sword isn't restricted to just the Swords of Justice two other Pokemon that should be able to learn it are Gallade and Samurott.
Oh yes for Gallade. I worry way more than I really should about Close Combat's drawback to use it for Fighting STAB; this would be music to my ears.

first impression- if only more bug types would learn it ???

Vikavolt would be then more good use, maybe with extreem speed?

Leafage is a 40 BP move with no additional effect, Leaf Tornado is a 65 BP move that lowers the target's accuracy. It's learned later for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom