• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

after 7 generations we should have more users of it.
a) Perish Song was introduced in Gen 2, so it's only been around for six generations.

b) Just because we've gotten more Pokemon since a move was introduced doesn't mean we're going to get more Pokemon whose design makes sense to include the move.

c) We have gotten more users since its introduction. We got the Swablu line, Chimecho, and Absol in Gen 3, Kricketune and Arceus in Gen 4, Meloetta in Gen 5, and Popplio in Gen 7.

d) Perish Song can be used by nineteen different lines of Pokemon already. There's plenty other moves with less lines than that. What about Autotomize, with only fifteen? Acid Armor, with only fourteen? Why don't those stand out to you?

why didnt Meganium and Delphox get Perish Song? Meganium learns sound moves, Delphox, some mages used songs and magic like Circe.
Meganium: Meganium is more of a healing-esque Pokemon, based off a herb, so why would it need Perish Song?
Delphox: Magic is it's element, and Perish song is just singing. And not all mages sing. Also Delphox is based off of witches who get magic from foxes. How does that even relate to singing?

Meganium learns sound moves. That means it should learn Perish Song. Using this logic, Pokemon that only have Metal Sound as their sound move should learn Perish Song. This would mean a freaking magnet who doesn't have a visible mouth should learn Perish Song. See the problem? Knowing sound moves does not mean Perish Song should be one of their moves.

I probably bashed you a bit too hard, so I'll give you something you can muse over: why can't the Wismur line learn Perish Song?

nowing sound moves does not mean Perish Song should be one of their moves.

atleast Alolan Maarowak can get it and with fire spin its neat. One fire type.

But really there should be in future a grass and a fire type starters that have it.

Meganium: Meganium is more of a healing-esque Pokemon, based off a herb, so why would it need Perish Song?
Delphox: Magic is it's element, and Perish song is just singing. And not all mages sing. Also Delphox is based off of witches who get magic from foxes. How does that even relate to singing?

the word Perish is related to Curse , witches, magic.
Could be the buff Delphox needed.
Delphox... Perish song would fit witch, curses, magic motive but if you say so...
Hope we get some more starters with it, becuse with entry hazards and other moves its a good strategy especially for slower starters that need more strategy.

the word Perish is related to Curse , witches, magic.
No, perish means "to die, especially in a sudden or violent way". Nothing there inherently ties it to curses. The move is literally "Sudden Death Song". It has no relation to magic or curses, and is an entirely sound based move. It only makes sense for sound based Pokemon, particularly Pokemon associated with violent sounds. This means it works for the performer Primarina, or the violently shouting Exploud (who really should learn it), it does not make sense for Delphox, Meganium, or Alolan Marowak, who have no notable connection to songs or sounds.

No, perish means "to die, especially in a sudden or violent way". Nothing there inherently ties it to curses. The move is literally "Sudden Death Song". It has no relation to magic or curses, and is an entirely sound based move. It only makes sense for sound based Pokemon, particularly Pokemon associated with violent sounds. This means it works for the performer Primarina, or the violently shouting Exploud (who really should learn it), it does not make sense for Delphox, Meganium, or Alolan Marowak, who have no notable connection to songs or sounds.
ok I understand your arguments.
Then now I hope for my goat with Pan flute

Destiny Bond, looking at pokemon who got it in the past
I thinkt that Decidueye and Delphox should really get it.
Taking there low defences.

Do we have a ghost type pokemon with Mirror Coat?

We got 2 ghost types with Counter Sabley and Marshadow.

But do we will get one with both?

ghost are immune to counter but if they self use counter and mirror coat it should be posibble to reflect a move even if there immunity protects them from it.
Like when somebody wants to hit a ghost with normal and fighting and it uses counter it should activate normally I think.
The same goes for other type immunities I think. Becuase its the power of the move itself.

Does Counter and Mirror Coat affect Ghost and Dark types? - PokéBase Pokémon Answers

Weird that Spiritomb didnt get any of these and more pokemon.

Could see Primarina and Delphox get them or future starters should atleast.

(Interesting Blastoise gets both Mirror Coat and Counter, snivy gets by breeding mirror coat, and most gen I and 2 starters get counter)

Last edited:
Counter and Mirror Coat? What about, say... Metal Burst? For slower Pokémon, it's almost like those two moves rolled into one, and nothing's immune to the counterattack besides Shedinja. I want to see this move get more love and distribution.

ghost are immune to counter but if they self use counter and mirror coat it should be posibble to reflect a move even if there immunity protects them from it.
Like when somebody wants to hit a ghost with normal and fighting and it uses counter it should activate normally I think.
The same goes for other type immunities I think. Becuase its the power of the move itself.
A Pokemon who takes no damage can't activate Mirror Coat or Counter because it's based on the damage the user took. A Pokemon with high defence will deal less damage with those moves because they don't take much. A Pokemon who takes no damage due to an immunity will counter for 0 damage, because they took 0 damage. In the same way that a Pokemon protected by a teammate's Wide Guard will counter for 0 damage, they took none, so they deal none.
The only way that a Pokemon with a type immunity could counter an attack they should be immune to, is if Counter and Mirror Coat negated Type immunities for the user, which would just be a bad idea.

A Pokemon who takes no damage can't activate Mirror Coat or Counter because it's based on the damage the user took. A Pokemon with high defence will deal less damage with those moves because they don't take much. A Pokemon who takes no damage due to an immunity will counter for 0 damage, because they took 0 damage. In the same way that a Pokemon protected by a teammate's Wide Guard will counter for 0 damage, they took none, so they deal none.
The only way that a Pokemon with a type immunity could counter an attack they should be immune to, is if Counter and Mirror Coat negated Type immunities for the user, which would just be a bad idea.

thats the problem, even if immune the damage count should be regular and move should be "send back" even if something is immune. Not bad if immunity would still protect from damage and move would be made. It sends a attack back to the oponnent, it would bebrilliant if the could fix the code and allow pokemon with immunity to send the attack only back with regular damage count when it comes to immunity users of those moves.
maybe they will create a new signature mnove for some pokemon that have the same effects of both those moves and also allow to drain or restore hp or halfs damage but calculates it so that the oponnent gets the normal power strike.

I must admit I'm surprised at the lack of stat-buffing moves the Froakie line has. Apart from Double Team (which makes sense in this case) and Work Up (Gen VII only), the entire line lacks any other form of stat-boosting moves like Swords Dance, Agility, and such. It has regained Power-Up Punch in USUM, albeit as an egg move, but I'm more surprised at how the line can't learn much else in that department. Sure, the line is designed to be fragile, and it's already pretty versatile, but the lack of stat-boosting moves is surprising to me. If you ask me, the line should be able to at least learn moves like Swords Dance and/or Nasty Plot, to give the line some more offensive might (not that it entirely needs it, but extra firepower never hurts).

a Meowth , like that of team rocket, would know Chatter?
weird that more pokemon dindt get that taking that some should be able to imitate sound moves, this would be good for Primarina actually, better then Acrobatics. If its based on a mythical see creature that can imitate sounds of other beeings. (the confusion effect would fit perfect and Decidueye would also deserve Throat Chop)

If thinking about it then Jynx and some other pokes should be able to use Chatter too.
The Chatot primary user would get still stab from it and use it more then others.

Last edited:
You'd think Kartana would be able to learn Metal Claw or at least Slash, right? What's up with that? It's like Zangoose being unable to learn Cut.

...Oh.

Back
Top Bottom