• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

ancient power: Delphox, Primarina (would fit both of them)

I can get Delphox, but why Primarina?
hmm, its based on a mythic (ancient) creature. Why not? its not a strong move after all. Charmander, Chikorita, Totodile, Mudkip learn it through breeding, and Primarina needs something to boost her defense and speed more. Bulbasaur through a event even knows it.
Weird that Torterra didn't got it?

Incineroar with its ability and Deciduey have more coverage moves to rise own stats and decreased their oponents.
(Decidueye got Omnious wind and is faster then her)
A rock type move would be a good for her moveset and coverage against other types.

Last edited:
Well, Primarina's weak to Poison, Electric and Grass. Rock really won’t help much to cover those weaknesses.

EDIT: I'm not against Primarina getting the move, but it won’t be used much in competitive if Primarina gets it.

Look at how many of these are partially fire, flying, bug or ice?(cross/dual typed pokemon)
Seriously competitive? real competition begins when you have more options to use.
Plus some pokemon always will gain/or loose when a pokemon gets a new move, for Primarina its a gain of a good special rock type stats rising move, for some of its oponent it will be hard and some better.

I think more Psychic-types should have Teleport. I mean, Psychic is like magic from wizards, and wizards usually are able to Teleport. Same goes for ghosts, they can dematerialize.

Mewtwo is the most powerful Psychic-type yet can't learn Teleport after Gen I.
Celebi too could probably get it, it can teleport in time.

I think more Psychic-types should have Teleport. I mean, Psychic is like magic from wizards, and wizards usually are able to Teleport. Same goes for ghosts, they can dematerialize.

Mewtwo is the most powerful Psychic-type yet can't learn Teleport after Gen I.
Celebi too could probably get it, it can teleport in time.

yes, but teleport needs a in-game change or buff to be used more in battles.
what would you preffer?

teleport- works like the move Detect, avoids a oponents move but would rise the priority of the users next move one stage but the move will get reduced accuracy by 10%.. (teleport+ fire punch, where chance of burning rises from 10% and accuracy falls from 100% to 90%).

tricky if psychic terrain is activated or if the oponent has a priority negating ability then the next priority risen move may get blocked. (would make great strategic sense)

But would make fanstastic strategie usage even as a Z-move, becuse it could heal+the new effect it has.

to use it you would need to leviate on psychic terrain, but many got magnet rise.

Jolteon and Spiky Shield.
If Togedemaru got it then Joelteon should too.
Would make sense against Wrap, bind and Clamp users.

For me its weird that theyt forgot about it, becuse in past they showed in the anime that it has spikes in a battle with Arbok. That or maybe a new move that could work the same way like rough skin.

Last edited:
Look at how many of these are partially fire, flying, bug or ice?(cross/dual typed pokemon)
  1. Primarina has STAB Water-type moves to deal with Fire. Primarina also has Ice-type moves for Grass and Flying-types.
  2. None of these types resist Water, and since Poison and Electric don't resist Water, either, most of these don't resist Primarina's STAB.
  3. Most of these combinations aren't as common as you claim they are. There's only one Poison/Fire line, one Electric/Fire Pokemon, one Electric/Ice, one Grass/Ice line, two Ice/Flying, and one Poison/Flying line. There's no Poison/Ice or Grass/Fire. The only really common ones are Bug/Poison, Grass/Flying, Electric/Flying, and Bug/Grass. It honestly seems like you just looked at what types Rock is super effective against and listed them.

Last edited:
Speaking of Delphox, its movepool is so lacking in types for what's meant to be a mage. Imo it might be a good idea for it to learn Charge Beam, Energy Ball, Earth Power, Water Pulse, Ice Beam and Dazzling Gleam to stand in for an rpg mage's elemental spells. Maybe Recover to reference healing spells too.

1. Primarina has STAB Water-type moves to deal with Fire. Primarina also has Ice-type moves for Grass and Flying-types.
  2. None of these types resist Water, and since Poison and Electric don't resist Water, either, most of these don't resist Primarina's STAB.
  3. Most of these combinations aren't as common as you claim they are. There's only one Poison/Fire line, one Electric/Fire Pokemon, one Electric/Ice, one Grass/Ice line, two Ice/Flying, and one Poison/Flying line. There's no Poison/Ice or Grass/Fire. The only really common ones are Bug/Poison, Grass/Flying, Electric/Flying, and Bug/Grass. It honestly seems like you just looked at what types Rock is super effective against and listed them.

has.. but what it lacks? that stats rise would make great sense, or do you want Silver Wind?
because against psychic it has not much to offer.
Rock would be good against bug types... and special oriented.
The only good move she has against bugs is Acrobatics now.
Look at the moveset clearly.
Everyone makes mistakes.
Try to look for good and bad sides and not only negate someones other opinion. Try to help someone with his idea instead of destroying it by first sight...

Last edited:
has.. but what it lacks?
This isn't a counter to my point, it's changing the subject. You claimed that Primarina needed ways to deal with these Pokemon, but it already has ways.
that stats rise would make great sense, or do you want Silver Wind?
Primarina already has stat-boosting moves in Work Up, Double Team, and Amnesia. These are all far more reliable than moves like Ancient Power and Silver Wind, which, while they do boost all stats at once, only have a 10% chance to do so.
because against psychic it has not much to offer.
Shadow Ball, a Ghost-type special move with a base power of 80, seems worse to you than Silver Wind, with a base power of 60?
Rock would be good against bug types... and special oriented.
The only good move she has against bugs is Acrobatics now.
You're operating under this assumption that not being super effective=not good, and that's simply not true. Unresisted STAB can be plenty powerful on its own-that's why the Dragon-type was so powerful.

Primarina has access to Hydro Pump, a move with a 110 base power. With the 1.5x multiplier of STAB, that becomes 165. Compare that to Ancient Power-60 base power, and, even with the 2x multiplier of super-effectiveness, it only becomes 120.

Additionally, Primarina resists Bug-type moves. It's already got an advantage over Bug-types there. And even if it needed help from super effective moves, Acrobatics is better than Ancient Power. It has a base power of 110 when the user has no held item, compared to Ancient Power's 60, and has three times the PP Ancient Power does.
Try to look for good and bad sides and not only negate someones other opinion. Try to help someone with his idea instead of destroying it by first sight...
If your posts are so personal to you that arguments against them come off as "destroying it by first sight", then you should post them in a thread dedicated to personal idea, so it's made clear. This thread is just discussing what moves people think Pokemon should/shouldn't learn. You think Primarina should learn Ancient Power, and I think it doesn't make sense thematically nor does it help it in battle. That's not "destroying your idea", it's just stating my opinion.

The Pidove line really needs some more moves. Its movepool leaves a lot to be desired, which is a shame because it's a fairly interesting early bird Mon (mainly its very pronounced gender differences), and the fact it has access to Super Luck, which can be a potent ability when used correctly, but it's horribly outclassed by the rest of the early bird Mons. Some proposed moves I have for it are Thief (a LOT of bird Mons learn this, so it should follow suit), Sky Drop, Acrobatics (gives it a strong STAB, plus a lot of Flying types learn it), Swords Dance, Wing Attack (a bit redundant but it couldn't hurt), Hyper Voice (it learns all the other sound-based Normal moves such as Round, so why not Hyper Voice as well), and maybe Knock Off as well. I admit that these moves won't make it the king/queen of early bird Mons, but it would at least help make its very shallow movepool more diverse and give it more to work with.

(my input)
yes, but teleport needs a in-game change or buff to be used more in battles.
what would you preffer? (teleport is ment to be a weak move for wild mons in my understanding, like splash or tackle)

teleport- works like the move Detect, avoids a oponents move but would rise the priority of the users next move one stage but the move will get reduced accuracy by 10%.. (teleport+ fire punch, where chance of burning rises from 10% and accuracy falls from 100% to 90%). (NO)

tricky if psychic terrain is activated or if the oponent has a priority negating ability then the next priority risen move may get blocked. (would make great strategic sense)

But would make fanstastic strategie usage even as a Z-move, becuse it could heal+the new effect it has.

to use it you would need to leviate on psychic terrain, but many got magnet rise.

Jolteon and Spiky Shield.
If Togedemaru got it then Joelteon should too.
Would make sense against Wrap, bind and Clamp users. (yes)

For me its weird that they forgot about it, becuse in past they showed in the anime that it has spikes in a battle with Arbok. That or maybe a new move that could work the same way like rough skin. (sharp fur?)
Maybe the renukeleus line should get explode/self destruct.
IDK, I just feel like it should.

it's just stating my opinion
wanting diversity in game play is my opinion. You can negate it but there are also good sides.
You only look in maximalizing power, but what if use a Z-ancient power? in a other strategy?

What pokemon could gain spectral thief in future? new one? old one? weird thats a signature only move for now.

What pokemon could gain spectral thief in future? new one? old one? weird thats a signature only move for now.
It's not weird at all. Marshadow is a Mythical Pokemon. It doesn't make any sense for any kind of Pokemon (aside from something that's super similar to Marshadow conceptually) to get that move. That's like giving other random Pokemon access to Roar of Time, or V-Create, or Fusion Bolt, or Sunsteel Strike (Kyurem and Necrozma don't count since they're taking the power of the original users for themselves).

how many shadow oriented pokemon we got?
besides Gengar?

they have created really a got ghost type move.
Those Pokemon are on a completely different scale of power (lore wise) from Marshadow though. That's like asking why a Charizard can't use Sacred Fire, or why a Pikachu can't use Bolt Strike. Of course these moves are good, they're Legendary signatures, they have such powerful moves to set them apart from the run of the mill Tall Grassers.

Hi! I just found this thread, and while I can't come up with any suggestions right now, I know a couple funny videos that deal with the same subject as this thread, in case you're interested to check them out and haven't seen them already:

Back
Top Bottom