• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Those Pokemon are on a completely different scale of power (lore wise) from Marshadow though. That's like asking why a Charizard can't use Sacred Fire, or why a Pikachu can't use Bolt Strike. Of course these moves are good, they're Legendary signatures, they have such powerful moves to set them apart from the run of the mill Tall Grassers.
ok wise guy then why wasn't Torment given to more starter pokemon?

only given to infernape,serperior, incineroar?

Why not delphox (wizard), deciduey(spirit)?

why not Greninja? Sceptile?

the same goes for Taunt, Heal Block(Delphox)?

Why do we dont have a starter with Disbale? slow starters would need that more.
Could see Delphox, Deciduey, Chesnaught, Primarina and others get them. and future starters.
This would sole a little the speed and type (dis)advantage problems of much of them.

ok wise guy
While I'm going to leave it to someone else to properly reply to the comment above, I must say, Matleo: You're not giving off a very mature look of yourself by throwing around impolite insults like that, and thus also not doing a very good job at trying to make yourself and your opinion be taken more seriously.

While I'm going to leave it to someone else to properly reply to the comment above, I must say, Matleo: You're not giving off a very mature look of yourself by throwing around impolite insults like that, and thus also not doing a very good job at trying to make yourself and your opinion be taken more seriously.

its not an insult... rather a compliment.
mature... he didnt answer me to the rest of my arguments? seriously?
I have given him right with his argument.

If thats an insult and impolite... then Im a fire/fairy goat-man with beard and opera singer...

Last edited:
We understand that conversations and discussions can get heated but please remember to respect your fellow members. We are all different people and thus will have different opinions and ideas, and while we encourage discussing this we also want you to respect each other.

And I’m the thread of the topic. Aerial ace. A lot of non flying type Pokémon learn this and yet they have Pokémon that should be able to unable to.

And I’m the thread of the topic. Aerial ace. A lot of non flying type Pokémon learn this and yet they have Pokémon that should be able to unable to.

I know that lorewise, Aerial Ace is based off a sword move, which is why so many Pokemon that have some sort of sword learn it, and Flying types learn it because... it's Flying type?

I know that lorewise, Aerial Ace is based off a sword move, which is why so many Pokemon that have some sort of sword learn it, and Flying types learn it because... it's Flying type?
Its Japanese name is something along the lines of "Flying Swallow Cut", hence why it's a Flying move and so many Flying Pokémon learn it.

We understand that conversations and discussions can get heated but please remember to respect your fellow members. We are all different people and thus will have different opinions and ideas, and while we encourage discussing this we also want you to respect each other.

Yeah it’s translated as swallow return/cut.

Which makes some even more ridiculous. Pokémon like diglett and mr mime can learn it but Pokémon like the rowlet line can’t, despite being flying type for two evolutions, having wings, and learning leaf blade.

It’s clear sometimes they didn’t think things through.

They can some signature moves of Legendaries/Mythicals to other Legendaries/Mythicals for events.
They can give Spectral Thief to Giratina who would hide in your shadow and take you to the Distortion World. Muwahahaha!

I personally think that Torterra shouldn't be able to Dig. Yes. You heard me correctly.
That big, fat, beautiful turtle with a tree on it's back shouldn't be able to dig fully underneath the ground, then HIDE itself to attack LATER. How?

I personally think that Torterra shouldn't be able to Dig. Yes. You heard me correctly.
That big, fat, beautiful turtle with a tree on it's back shouldn't be able to dig fully underneath the ground, then HIDE itself to attack LATER. How?
Nonono, it digs partially under the dirt, disguising itself as a regular tree! :p (it actually kind of does that in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia)

...jokes aside, your logic is sound. But I don't have a huge problem with it, anyways.

Nonono, it digs partially under the dirt, disguising itself as a regular tree! :p (it actually kind of does that in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia)

...jokes aside, your logic is sound. But I don't have a huge problem with it, anyways.

Okay. I'll give it that, partial dig.

It isn't a big deal. Moreso personal OCD. Even if it WAS partial the Pokemon still can be known to be there lol.

Couldn't it just dig a big enough hole for itself? Sure, it's pretty big, but so are those paws.
I imagine a scene with the music of jaws, when a big tree startrs to dig around me.

ok, joke by sides, Torterra and Shel Trap, that really should hapen think of it, its partially ground and dont has any fire type move, it would be really good for flying, bug oponents. Practivally it has a shell and most ground types are having fire type moves. We had Emboar with Scald. Give it some love too.
Theoreticallly with that rock in shape of mountain it could learn Eruption actually.

Weird that it doesnt get a damage dealing type poison move but learns Toxic.
I would let Terterra have Sludge Bomb.
How would you react to Acid Downpour move from it?

( Gunk shot should be blocked by bulletproof its "Dust shoot" in japanese, even its dex description says shooting garbage like bullets or like rock wrecker and rock blast)

Last edited:
Theoreticallly with that rock in shape of mountain it could learn Eruption actually.

Torterra cannot expel flames. Eruption is a heated rock and Torterra cannot produce heat (let alone heat massive enough for Eruption). Even among fire types the move has got very little distribution.

Weird that it doesnt get a damage dealing type poison move but learns Toxic.

Almost every Pokemon learns toxic so it isn’t weird.

Torterra and Shel Trap, that really should hapen think of it, its partially ground and dont has any fire type move
'Not having a Fire type move' isn’t a valid reason. Typhlosion dosen’t have a water type move, So is it right to give it hydro pump?
And 'most ground types' usually don’t have any issues around Fire. If Torterra uses shell trap, it'll literally set its tree in fire, which I don’t think is possible.

Frankly, any calls for Torterra to get additional coverage solely for battling purposes are wholly unnecessary when it can strike all four of its weaknesses through Rock coverage alone. Let's not choose quantity over quality.

( Gunk shot should be blocked by bulletproof its "Dust shoot" in japanese, even its dex description says shooting garbage like bullets or like rock wrecker and rock blast)
I wouldn't put so much stock in those descriptions if I were you. Glare's description has been mentioning a belly pattern ever since Gen III even though it stopped being Arbok's signature move a whole generation earlier.

Let's not choose quantity over quality.
it would be quality, it doesnt learn rock wrecker, only giga impact, hyper beam , frenzly plant, shell trap would be cool and very good for its physical side. Its one move.Not that quantity, but more quality rather.

I wouldn't put so much stock in those descriptions if I were you. Glare's description has been mentioning a belly pattern ever since Gen III even though it stopped being Arbok's signature move a whole generation earlier.
6 pokemon learn it.
Its power is 120 if I remember right, would be cool to block it too.

How many moves does flash fire block? or other abilities that make you immune to moves?

And 'most ground types' usually don’t have any issues around Fire. If Torterra uses shell trap, it'll literally set its tree in fire, which I don’t think is possible.

not neccesarry. After it gets hit It could let the energy of the explosion out through its rock side without hurting itself in the proces.

shell trap would be cool and very good for its physical side. Its one move.Not that quantity, but more quality rather.
Still, that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't make sense. Turtonator learns the move because its shell is literally covered in explosive materials. That doesn't apply to Torterra, whose shell is covered in materials that an explosion would burn!

Its power is 120 if I remember right, would be cool to block it too.
Ummm... Glare is a status move. I seriously hope you know that...

How many moves does flash fire block? or other abilities that make you immune to moves?
Pretty much all, as far as I'm aware. Maybe not all status moves, but all damaging moves, definitely.

not neccesarry. After it gets hit It could let the energy of the explosion out through its rock side without hurting itself in the proces.
Okay, now I think you're just trying to make up excuses to prove your idea. That wouldn't make sense either, since where would the new rock even come from?

In addition to what @FinnishPokéFan92 said, the explosion is a fire one. Fire spreads, and Torterra's literally covered in flammable grass. Torterra will have a very hard time using the move.

Back
Top Bottom