• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

I can see how it makes sense for Incineroar, Chesnaught, and Swampert to get Arm Thrust, while most of the others seem a bit iffy in my opinion and it just doesn’t work with Decidueye’s design.

I thought Incineroar was Fire/Fighting at first before ever I thought he was Dark, so... yeah. Wrestlers need more Fighting moves than Cross Chop... which isn't even a move in wrestling, but martial arts.

Crustle and Surf or Muddy Water?
its a bug/rock, but as a bug/rock its weak to ground
Muddy water could work well taking its effect and Crustles rock and steel weakness.

what pokemon in future could learn Beak Blast?

What pokemon have good beaks or atleast have right horns for learning it it?

what pokemon in future could learn Beak Blast?

What pokemon have good beaks or atleast have right horns for learning it it?
I was thinking about that too. I’m not sure any existing Pokémon could get it and make sense, because Toucannon’s whole schtick is that its beak literally heats up. Maybe Fearow? Or a fire-type with a beak, like Motres and Talomflame? Otherwise I can’t see anything that could heat up it’s beak that way without injuring itself.

I was thinking about that too. I’m not sure any existing Pokémon could get it and make sense, because Toucannon’s whole schtick is that its beak literally heats up. Maybe Fearow? Or a fire-type with a beak, like Motres and Talomflame? Otherwise I can’t see anything that could heat up it’s beak that way without injuring itself.
They could leave it as it’s own signature move. It’s not like they haven’t done it before.

Why TF can Monferno/Infernape learn Grass Knot? Just think about it; So contradictory to its typing.
Monkeys are smart, so they've learned to tie knots in the grass?

Otherwise I can’t see anything that could heat up it’s beak that way without injuring itself.
we have many not fire and not ice types that learn fire and ice moves... heating up a horn , beak or sword(Aegislash- interesting would be the form change to use if it used shadow sneak afterwards to finish) shouldn't be a problem rather... even Empoleon could benefit.
Mandibuzz? Honchkrow?

enough big beaks? if it comes to horns Samurott could need something like that.
Maybe even Aegislash or blade based pokemon could proffit from something like that?

Last edited:
we have many not fire and not ice types that learn fire and ice moves... heating up a horn , beak or sword(Aegislash- interesting would be the form change to use if it used shadow sneak afterwards to finish) shouldn't be a problem rather... even Empoleon could benefit.
Mandibuzz? Honchkrow?

enough big beaks? if it comes to horns Samurott could need something like that.
Maybe even Aegislash or blade based pokemon could proffit from something like that?
Ok, but why are you assuming that a horn is analagous to a beak? Idk, I just feel like conceptually it currently only makes sense for Toucannon, the way its beak heats up. And that’s fine. Let it have it to itself.

horn is analagous to a beak?

First I think that Toucannon won't loose anything if other pokemon would learn it, its still the best stats user of this move and gains Stab from it too. If other pokemon would learn it that would even make the move and Toucanon more shine and make it more memorable.

why not give a good move to more pokemon especially a physical flying one thats also related to other abilities and moves in some cases? How many special flying type moves are there? how good ones?

As a egg move for them.

The horn thing is maybe to good to be true, but if you cant heat up a beak you can heat up a horn... and if something like Swana can learn Scald, to heat up water then it could learn Beak Blast too I think atleast it should. It has a big enough beak for that. The same goes for Golduck. Samuottr could be taken into consideration atleast.

Imagine Tentacruel with Beak Blast, its having a beak based on octopuses and crucateans that could fit that role.

-Imagine Delibird using it when battling some steel types
- Imagine Empoleon using it against a physical grass, electric,ground pokemon
- Imagine Brellom getting it , it always looked for me bird like with that beak.

Also this way maybe they will buff the move in gen 8 even and make that it:

- will free the user from freeze stats if the pokemon uses this move and if it was in the frozen stats before
- prevents getting frozen and halfs ice type moves damage on the same turn this moves is used
( "it moves last but "heat ups" first , then ice beam when hitting something "hot" should not do that damage, the user should be treated like a fire type pokemon then, this would make the move itself and Toucanon more important then.
Taking that Avalanch, Ice Shard and Freeze Dry are out there. Then the (-3) priority would not be a problem if it charges up before the oponent hits it.
This would make perfect sense as a defense mechanism for it")
- imagine if it could also half the electric type moves damage on the same turn when it's used (hot=rise of resistance)

If we get a 8 gen cold region bird pokemon then this would make also sense.
To much signature moves for only one pokemon make not that the pokemon itself is used more, it only makes that the moves and pokemon start to get forgotten in later generations and don't get changed afterward even if they need to be and what would make them even more appealing.
take Water Shuriken for an example , we got a other user Accelgor(bug, sp.attack 100; speed 145; but both defences lower then Greninja ) after one generation and it even became a special move to make Aqua Jet not loose atention....
Magnet Rise, Parting Shot, U-turn, Draining Kiss for Delphox, yes it needs the recovery and better switching options as it has many weaknesses (abilities like Ilusion , Magic Guard ,Magic Bounce should be a option as regular form abilities or buff Magician... Mega Delphox if gets Magic Guard or Magic Bounce then now the ability will activate on the same turn it mega trnsforms yes?)
Magnet Rise should be a option , think of it it is fast enough and can learn electric moves why not give it this option rather than Levitate

Last edited:
I think Gyarados should learn Fly. If you're going to make an obviously not flight capable Pokémon a Flying type, you may as well go the whole hog. Let the gosh darn Pokémon fly. What, not realistic? Has no wings and would just float around? Does it look like I care huh? Give me my Fly capable though obviously incapable of flight dragon looking non-dragon you cowards!

Yes I am very passionate about this ever since I took the time to raise a Gyarados in SoulSilver as an 11 year old just for the sake of seeing the darn thing fly. I figured "hey, in my little Gen. 1 Pokémon guide book says this thing is a Flying type, surely it can FLY." But no. My small childhood dreams were dashed in the instant I tried to use Fly on it, only to find out it can't learn it. Dang it!

what about Soft-Boiled for Delibird? could it use its own egs to open and gain the healing energy?

Delphox with Magnet Rise needs to hapen next generation

I think Gyarados should learn Fly. If you're going to make an obviously not flight capable Pokémon a Flying type, you may as well go the whole hog. Let the gosh darn Pokémon fly. What, not realistic? Has no wings and would just float around? Does it look like I care huh? Give me my Fly capable though obviously incapable of flight dragon looking non-dragon you cowards!

Yes I am very passionate about this ever since I took the time to raise a Gyarados in SoulSilver as an 11 year old just for the sake of seeing the darn thing fly. I figured "hey, in my little Gen. 1 Pokémon guide book says this thing is a Flying type, surely it can FLY." But no. My small childhood dreams were dashed in the instant I tried to use Fly on it, only to find out it can't learn it. Dang it!

You have a point, since it doesn't make sense for the Doduo line to learn Fly, while Gyarados or Hawlucha can not, despite being Flying types. Imo, every Pokemon that are able to Fly (Thus, not Gyarados, Hawlucha or Doduo line, since they can't) should be able to learn Fly, even if they are not Flying types, with Heracross, Scizor and Venomoth as prime examples, especially since most of them can learn Aerial Ace already (Again, doesn't make sense for Doduo and Hawlucha, since the only moves that makes sense for them is Acrobatics or the Pecking moves)

You have a point, since it doesn't make sense for the Doduo line to learn Fly, while Gyarados or Hawlucha can not, despite being Flying types. Imo, every Pokemon that are able to Fly (Thus, not Gyarados, Hawlucha or Doduo line, since they can't) should be able to learn Fly, even if they are not Flying types, with Heracross, Scizor and Venomoth as prime examples, especially since most of them can learn Aerial Ace already (Again, doesn't make sense for Doduo and Hawlucha, since the only moves that makes sense for them is Acrobatics or the Pecking moves)
Aerial Ace doesn't actually involve flight though, it's actually supposed to be a slashing attack.
Fly really should get to more Pokemon though.

Back
Top Bottom