• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

You have a point, since it doesn't make sense for the Doduo line to learn Fly, while Gyarados or Hawlucha can not, despite being Flying types. Imo, every Pokemon that are able to Fly (Thus, not Gyarados, Hawlucha or Doduo line, since they can't) should be able to learn Fly, even if they are not Flying types, with Heracross, Scizor and Venomoth as prime examples, especially since most of them can learn Aerial Ace already (Again, doesn't make sense for Doduo and Hawlucha, since the only moves that makes sense for them is Acrobatics or the Pecking moves)
Slight correction, Hawlucha can actually learn fly. You are correct in Gyrados not being able to learn fly.

Though not something really that important. I want stupid moves like Surf on Nidoking and Tauros, that's always one of my favorite parts of the game. Heck this is why Pokemon like Tauros, Furret & Linoone are some of my top HM Slaves in Pre-Gen VII games due to learning ridiculous moves. Did you know Tauros can learn whirlpool!?

Fly? how many from them learn Bounce?
Fly should be a option but we would need more old and new moves to counter semi-invulnerable moves like fly, dig and phantom force in future too if we want them to learn "Fly"

Cranidos and Rampardos should learn :

- some priority moves like Quick Attack or Extreme Speed then it could have a better role as revenge killer not only wall-breaker... both have the same 58 speed stats but Parasaurolophus could get 25mph but probably was faster on close range distances like some crocs.
(Feraligatr speed 78, Krookodile 92, Tyrantrum 71, does that make sense??? )

Pachycephalosaurus are small, slow dinosaurs that at first glance may seem lacking in the use department. However… | Pachy Utility Tips | Dododex

- why does it have Whirlwind?

- Dragon Rush, would fit it.

- Flame Charge - its a charging move that rises user speed one stage
or Bulldoze - reduces oponents speed one stage

Together the switching and priority option could be fun to use with it.
Good that Rampardos has already Dragon tail and "Roar" but why not Cranidos???
Speed rising/reducing moves would allow it better to use flinching effect of its flinching moves.

why?HP 97, Defense 60 , Sp. Def 50 and Speed 58?what can I say more?
we now have moves and abilities to counter priority moves, that it wouldn't make it OP only more used...

Last edited:
I am very surprised that Pignite cannot learn Bulk Up. Emboar can, but for some reason Pignite can't. Why is that? One would think that Pignite could learn Bulk Up due to its... well, bulk, which makes logical sense to me. Plus it would give it a better buffing move than Defense Curl or Work Up. And it's not like only fully evolved Mons can learn it, as ones like Machop, Combusken, and even Litten can learn it no prob. So why can't Pignite learn it? I find that strange.

I only learned today that Bulk Up existed in Gen 4 because it's one of Groudon's default moves in Explorers. I've seen a let's play of Emerald where the guy's Combusken knew it, too!

Why does Delphox need Magnet Rise?

why not? with its amount of weaknesses, magical theme and psychic typing?
It would deserve It. Witches and Magicians can levitate or fly.
Look that Greninja has a immunity to psychic and Chesnaught got Bulletproof that protects it from 20 moves... a move that grants immunity for 5 turns would be good for it.
ground type moves???
speed 104? 72 defense ???
why do Mew, Vanilite, Mawile, Lucario, Porygon,Probopas,Amaura, and Volcarona, Necrozma get it?

Then it would not need Levitate and could get a better third ability and mega ability... probably as a mega it would be faster then Dugtrio and most ground types...

more users for Parabolic Charge:
-Vikavolt and Galvantula
both bug/eectric lines need it taking their amount of weakness and stats

-Alolan Geudude -Golem line: then it would get better as a wall, the healing ascpect it lacked as a Kantonian line.
-Togedemaru
-Eelektross
-Pachirisu
-Emolga
-Nosepass and Probopass

Last edited:
why not? with its amount of weaknesses, magical theme and psychic typing?
It would deserve It. Witches and Magicians can levitate or fly.
Look that Greninja has a immunity to psychic and Chesnaught got Bulletproof that protects it from 20 moves... a move that grants immunity for 5 turns would be good for it.
ground type moves???
speed 104? 72 defense ???
why do Mew, Vanilite, Mawile, Lucario, Porygon,Probopas,Amaura, and Volcarona, Necrozma get it?

Then it would not need Levitate and could get a better third ability and mega ability... probably as a mega it would be faster then Dugtrio and most ground types...

more users for Parabolic Charge:
-Vikavolt and Galvantula
both bug/eectric lines need it taking their amount of weakness and stats

-Alolan Geudude -Golem line: then it would get better as a wall, the healing ascpect it lacked as a Kantonian line.
-Togedemaru
-Eelektross
-Pachirisu
-Emolga
-Nosepass and Probopass
I think the problem with the move is that it’s called MAGNET rise. If there were another move that did the same thing using psychics powers or something, such as telekinesis but on the user, then it would make sense. But Delphox has nothing to do with magnets, and I don’t think magic levitation can be justified with an electromagnetic phenomenon.

But Delphox has nothing to do with magnets, and I don’t think magic levitation can be justified with an electromagnetic phenomenon.
what about then with Volcarona, Mew, Vanilux and others? I think it rather should get it... witches also can use through magic nature powers that means electricity and magnetism too...

Eh, it seems unlikely it would ever be made official, but I could imagine it. Those others you mentioned do naturally float, I will note.

Yes I took the note. And my imagination begs for it.
Porygon, Grubbin , Larversta, Riolu learn it and don't float and don't have electric, steel or "magnetic rock" theme like Minior and others...
Give it Braixen and Delphox , they deserve it for the sake of their magic theme...
For me is likely that they will do it taking that it has many weakness and no immunity like other pokes.
Its only a drop in the desert for its needs but would be a good addition.

Porygon, Grubbin , Larversta, Riolu learn it and don't float and don't have electric, steel or "magnetic rock" theme like Minior and others...

What?
Porygon is an artificial Pokemon and lives in computers.
Grubbin literally evolves in a magnetic field into a levitating Bug/Electric Type.
Riolu is a steel type.

Literally all those you mentioned except larvesta have an electric or steel theme going on.

What?
Porygon is an artificial Pokemon and lives in computers.
Grubbin literally evolves in a magnetic field into a levitating Bug/Electric Type.
Riolu is a steel type.

Literally all those you mentioned except larvesta have an electric or steel theme going on.

-a normal type on ground
- a pure bug type that learns it before evolution
-a fighting type that after evolution get steel typing...

and why not allow some psychic type pokes to create a electro magnetic energy and used it in battle if they already learn electric and steel type moves? yes Delphox and Braixen learn both, why not then this one? its a move and not Levitate ability... this way we could get soething more in future if it gets such a good move.

-a normal type on ground
- a pure bug type that learns it before evolution
-a fighting type that after evolution get steel typing...

and why not allow some psychic type pokes to create a electro magnetic energy and used it in battle if they already learn electric and steel type moves? yes Delphox and Braixen learn both, why not then this one? its a move and not Levitate ability... this way we could get soething more in future if it gets such a good move.

Happening to learn a few Electric/Steel moves is nowhere equal or significant to gaining Electric, Steel type by evolution or having a computer theme.

Grubbin and Riolu gain those types by evolution so it’s logical they learn Electric and steel moves.

Happening to learn a few Electric/Steel moves is nowhere equal or significant to gaining Electric, Steel type by evolution or having a computer theme.

Grubbin and Riolu gain those types by evolution so it’s logical they learn Electric and steel moves.
is magical theme not so revelant like computer theme? and is psychic more worse then steel and electric? especially if the magician is fire/psychic and can learn steel and electric moves?

is magical theme not so revelant like computer theme? and is psychic more worse then steel and electric? especially if the magician is fire/psychic and can learn steel and electric moves?
Why do you want this so badly? Magnet Rise isn’t exactly a game-breaking move. I guarantee that even if Delphox could learn it, nobody would run it on it because it’s really not worth it. And if you’re that worried about ground attacks just give it an air balloon.

Why do you want this so badly? Magnet Rise isn’t exactly a game-breaking move. I guarantee that even if Delphox could learn it, nobody would run it on it because it’s really not worth it. And if you’re that worried about ground attacks just give it an air balloon.

waste a item slot? better healing berry.
How many pokemon still carry Earthquake? how many ground types are slower then Delphox?
Nobody???o_O

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2f45yv/is_magnet_rise_good_on_any_pokemon_or_in_any/

why not give it that move? so many pokemon get reallly more and better moves...
interesting, what pokemon have the most moves that they can learn level up+breeding+TM?
+The move itself would benefit from Delphox speed stats.

Last edited:
waste a item slot? better healing berry.
How many pokemon still carry Earthquake? how many ground types are slower then Delphox?
Nobody???o_O

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2f45yv/is_magnet_rise_good_on_any_pokemon_or_in_any/

why not give it that move? so many pokemon get reallly more and better moves...
interesting, what pokemon have the most moves that they can learn level up+breeding+TM?
+The move itself would benefit from Delphox speed stats.
Idk if you read the bulk of that reddit page, but the people that saw any success out of magnet rise were using things like magnezone and aggron. These are slow, bulky Pokémon that are meant to take hits, and earthquake would ruin them. Delphox is fast. Run it as a sweeper. Sweepers typically don’t have room in their movesets for gimmicky things like magnet rise.

I’m sorry, I’m not trying to shut you down or anything. If you wanna see Delphox get magnet rise, that’s oerfectly fine. But not everyone is gonna see that and agree wit ya.

I’m sorry, I’m not trying to shut you down or anything. If you wanna see Delphox get magnet rise, that’s oerfectly fine. But not everyone is gonna see that and agree wit ya.

Don't be sorry there always pros and cons , people who will agree and disagree with something.
I only like to argument my site of view properly.
But if they wan'ted a sweaper then its speed stats isn't overwhelming as a sweeper with that physical bulk but if its a suporting special sweeper then it needs this kind of back up plans to have more diverse use in metagame.
Interesting Delphox is faster then most ground types ; only Dugtrios both forms and Zygarde 10% form are faster then it.

As a defensive messure for some sets it could come quite in handy.

Back
Top Bottom