• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Kartana is a katana, and also an Ultra Beast, so there's some weirdness going on with iy. Virizion and Cobalion, meanwhile, are explicitly based on specific famous fictional swordsmen.

Gallade has a similar experience and ‘blade’ right in its name.
The single fin on Gallade's head resembles the helmet worn by murmillo-class Roman gladiators, or the Corinthian helmet with a horsehair crest worn by Greek hoplites. It may also be based on medieval knights. Additionally, its battle stances in various media resemble the en garde position and parries of modern fencing.

You'd think Metagross would be able to learn Trick Room, right? Turns out that it can't. I just found this out right now when I was looking for a Pokémon in Super Mystery Dungeon who could learn both Trick Room (which flips all Travel Speed changes here) and Hammer Arm.

I have to say that I find this a bit weird when a lot of other Psychic types can learn Trick Room.

XYORAS
SMUSUM
Cloaked in flames, the user dances and flaps its wings. This may also raise the user's Sp. Atk stat.

Ho-Oh maybe, but first you show me where the wings are on those other Pokemon.
But they changed Sharpen's description to remove the mention of a polygon count in SM after Carbink, Bergmite, Avalugg, and Diancie got it. I could feasibly see this happen with Fiery Dance someday, to be fair.

And even if the description still mentions wings, doesn't Glare's description still mention a belly pattern which Ekans, Dunsparce, Seviper, Zygarde, and Drampa don't possess?

XYORAS
SMUSUM
Cloaked in flames, the user dances and flaps its wings. This may also raise the user's Sp. Atk stat.

Ho-Oh maybe, but first you show me where the wings are on those other Pokemon.
They could create fiery wings from their bodies... We have more fire/flying pokemon and ghosts should too be able to pull that of. Create fire wings with their bodies

Last edited:
You'd think Metagross would be able to learn Trick Room, right? Turns out that it can't. I just found this out right now when I was looking for a Pokémon in Super Mystery Dungeon who could learn both Trick Room (which flips all Travel Speed changes here) and Hammer Arm.

I have to say that I find this a bit weird when a lot of other Psychic types can learn Trick Room.
And it can't learn Calm Mind either. Just why? We're talking about a ridiculously intelligent and analytical supercomputer-esque Pokémon with four freaking brains here. What reason could it possibly have to lack another staple Psychic move?

Since I've been focusing on Metagross here recently, another move I think it really should be able to learn is Heavy Slam. Standard Metagross is already the 15th heaviest Pokémon at 550kg/1212lbs so it's gonna be likely to strike most opponents with power equal or superior to that of Meteor Mash (unless you actually use Light Metal Metagross, in which case please don't), and the Mega Evolution jacks this up to a 5th place 942.9kg/2078.7lbs. Add Tough Claws onto that and I really do think it would replace Celesteela as the most potent user of Heavy Slam.

On a similar topic, Groudon should learn Heat Crash because oh my goodness this fits Primal Groudon like a glove. It needs a better physical Fire move than Fire Punch anyway...

Some monkeys spit really in nature.
I thought it was based on the fact that primates sometimes throw their poop at things. The move description also implies this.

EDIT: Oh God, I read about Gunk Shot, and the other primates also learn Gunk Shot.

EDIT 2: Except Oranguru since he is apparently above that.

Last edited:
Chesnaught:
Accelrock?
Bullet Punch?
First Impression?
It would really need a priority option other then spiky shield against flying types.
would it be better or too good then?
pros and cons for all... accelrock would make it kill all flying types, bullet punch would be a good option also First Impression...
though also about Quick Attack

Not exactly related specifically to some species but Yawn should be a sound move.
Well, part of me agrees with that, but maybe it's also the gesture that also causes drowsyness. I started yawning once just by seeing a GIF of a puppy yawning.

Although, my situation might be an isolated incident.

Well, part of me agrees with that, but maybe it's also the gesture that also causes drowsyness. I started yawning once just by seeing a GIF of a puppy yawning.

Although, my situation might be an isolated incident.

Yawn just feels the kind of move that shouldn’t be blocked by a substitute.
The sound and the gesture independently both can cause drowsiness in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom