• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

I probably already said it before but...

Can Sword and Shield FINALLY give Kyurem-B Ice Shard, Ice Fang, Ice Punch or Icicle Crash?

It's entire arm is covered in ice, for crying out loud. HOW CAN IT NOT LEARN ICE PUNCH.

Diglett and Dugtrio should not be able to learn Slash, I mean it has no claws!
I guess the implication is that they actually have limbs, it's just that we don't see them. The first PMD made a joke about that.

After rescuing Diglett with the help of Magnemite

Diglett: My feet feel like they are still walking in the air.
Main Character: (Feet...?)
Magnemite: (HE HAS THEM? FEET?)

I've been wondering something. How the heck does Incineroar learn Leech Life?! Who has ever heard of a vampiric tiger before??? It seems like a really out-of-place move if you ask me. At least most of Incineroar's moves make sense (except for the fact that it can't learn Sucker Punch, but that's another story), but Leech Life sticks out. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

I've been wondering something. How the heck does Incineroar learn Leech Life?! Who has ever heard of a vampiric tiger before??? It seems like a really out-of-place move if you ask me. At least most of Incineroar's moves make sense (except for the fact that it can't learn Sucker Punch, but that's another story), but Leech Life sticks out. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.
Leech Life/Such Blood seems like a rather underhanded technique, and Inciniroar does have fangs... But that's the only way I can see it tie into its lore/themes.

Not a move but...

Can we finally give poor Archeops something else than Defeatist? A perfectly well-designed Pokémon goes to waste by this ability. It doesn't even have to be a good ability, just something else than Defeatist.

Shadow punch is a nice attack.

Don't get why Mr. Mime (perfect attack for it) or Jinx don't get it?

Also some dark types should be abble to get it in my opinion.

Interesting could see it with Cofagrirus and Decidueye with it actually.

Last edited:
I feel like Weather Ball should only be learned by Pokemon associated with the weather in general, not for Pokemon that are connected to one specific form of weather. Does it make sense that Vanniluxe and Snorunt can use a Fire-type move just because it's sunny? That Lurantis and Weepinbell can use an Ice-type move just because there's hail?

I feel like Weather Ball should only be learned by Pokemon associated with the weather in general, not for Pokemon that are connected to one specific form of weather. Does it make sense that Vanniluxe and Snorunt can use a Fire-type move just because it's sunny? That Lurantis and Weepinbell can use an Ice-type move just because there's hail?

or related to more weathers?

Helioptile? Heliolisk? have abilities related to 3 weather conditions: sandstorm, rain and sun actually.
Those two should learn Scald and Weather Ball too in my opinion.

Slaking should get Slow Start instead of Truant. So you can at least use it somewhat properly.

No that would be too good, only if it get's a mega.
Especially that now Z-moves are there and Slaking can use them too
Maybe Truant should not work while the user is sleeping and in the turn it wakes up???
Would be interesting combo with Rest, Sleep Talk , Uproar and other moves.

Also I would make sound moves always work every turn even if the user has Truant while using them, this makes sense you don't charge large amount of energy or move physically very much when sending sounds.
Roar, Round, Uproar would get strategical meaning for Slaking and pokes with the ability Soundproof.
If Yawn becomes a sound move then imagine that.

But Slakoth should get Dazzling or something else taking that Truant isn't good for it at all.
(have in head a gym battle where slakoth avoided quick attack) That of Fluffy.
Slakoth would really need something better.

Just a minor one here, but I've always wondered why Poppilo doesn't learn Bubble? I mean, its air balloons are just giant bubbles, right? Learning Bubble would make sense to me if it naturally produces bubble-like balloons, according to its lore. Sure, it learns Bubble Beam, but not Bubble, which I find odd, especially since, nowadays, Bubble ironically outclasses Water Gun (its BP was increased to 40 plus it still has the Speed lowering ability, while Water Gun just deals damage with no extra effects). This tends to come up a lot for some reason: something that learns Bubble often can't learn Bubble Beam (Froakie, for example) while something that learns Bubble Beam often can't learn Bubble (Poppilo, as already mentioned). Doesn't make much sense to me, especially if bubbles (or bubble-like effects) are part of its lore and natural ability. Strange, right?

My replay of Platinum reminded me that Drifloon and Drifblim don't get any good special-based Flying moves. The only move they get it Gust, even to this day. They really need a upgrade there. Platinum was kinder to them than any of the other games, as it offered Air Cutter as a Move Tutor move. Sure, it's not the greatest move, but at least it's loads better than Gust, and Air Cutter hasn't been seen as a Move Tutor move since. Really, Drifloon and Drifblim need to get at least Air Cutter back in their arsenal, as it's better than Gust. Air Slash would be stellar, as would Hurricane, but even just giving them Air Cutter back would bolster their power very nicely. I mean, really, it's not that hard to do, as they've already had Air Cutter, so why doesn't GF just slap it into their Level Up movepool and give them a new toy to play with.

makes sense that a tiger consumes life force to gain back life force , thats good and very good for a fire/dark pokemon.

High Horse power could go to more then horse pokemon actually the deer ones should too learn it.
(weird that High Horse power isn't a increased priority move like First Impression or Extreem Speed, taking its name is associated with speed)

Last edited:
Something recently came to mind. Given how all its Dex data says it's a powerful and fast swimmer, why doesn't Poliwrath learn Aqua Jet now that it exists? Not only would it help with Poliwrath's jack-of-all-stats problem, but it would provide it with a STAB priority move that would feed off its higher Attack stat. Plus, given the fact that Aqua Jet is a variation of Quick Attack, and pretty much all its data states that it's a fast swimmer, Aqua Jet should be a natural shoo-in for it. Sure, Poli is already decently quick, but due to the jack-of-all-stats layout it has, it really could use something to boost its decent speed and give it some from of priority to outspeed bigger threats. Just thought I'd toss that out.

Stunfisk is the Trap pokemon, should learn Whirlpool and Sand Tomb and more trapping moves like imprison and others maybe even that steel traping move?
(weird that we didn't get a Shieldimng move that could paralazy and trap the oponent)

Flygon is the japanese "Spirit" (mystic )pokemon and Vibrava is the "vibration"pokemon?

I would give it shadow sneak, phantom force, shadowball and ghost type moves, both Flygon and Vibrava would deserve Clanging scales.

Xatu is also the Spirit /Mistic pokemom alsso should learn Shadow Sneak and Phantom Force in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom