• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Skuntank: Again, why. Exploding the stench to the point of self-fainting seems to not be a trait of a skunk

I think it's based off of the fact that, when a skunk is killed (usually as roadkill), its stink gland explodes, which causes it to stink for days afterward. That's also the basis of the Aftermath ability it (and others) have. As I have a LOT of skunks around my area, and seen many roadkill versions, I can safely say that when one is killed, it most definitely stinks to the high heavens for days. So, that's probably why it learns Explosion, as it replicates the RL version's stink glad going kaboom when it's killed.

There are some Pokémon that learn Explosion that kind of bothers me. This list includes:
  • Lickilicky: Uh, why is tonguezilla able to go kablooey? I don't like the prospect of this at all!
  • Garbodor: I don't want trash on the walls.
  • Vanilluxe: How... It seems oddly cruel for something as fragile as an ice type to literally explode
  • Skuntank: Again, why. Exploding the stench to the point of self-fainting seems to not be a trait of a skunk

poison , electric, fire... this types should,

Ice sometimes has inside things that could.
Ground? Rock? steel? also possible.

Weird that Forewarn, Telepathy, Magic Guard , Magic Bounce don't protect partially from Explosion?
Golisopods Emergency Exit would be cool if it would switch it with half hp back from it.

Damp is a ability that should not only prevent Explosion, Self-Destruct, Mind Blown but the move "Powder" effect and half damage of sound moves. Why both Explosion and Self-Destruct are physical and one is not special actually?
Weird Aftermath is less popular then Damp?

I have a other problem with Kissing moves that make sleep, confused and drain but only one causes damage direct.
But not many female kind of pokemon like Misdreavus, Tsareena, Primarina, Delphox , Gothitelle don't learn them but should actually learn them.

Weird that infautation isn't a Kissing move actually.
Weird that abilities and moves like Rage, Outrage, Frustration , Revenge , Pay-back don't free the user from the effect of infautation when activated they don't need to prevent it but could be cool.

Oblivious is the only ability that prevents it , thats a little lame, pokemon with Forewarn and Telepathy should that too.
Rivalry should react to infautation. Oblivious prevents infautation and taunt would be cool if something else too. Oblivious could protect a pokemon from Disable or "recharging" from future new moves and abilities.
__

Why not many grass types learn water type moves?
Serperior, Ludicullo, Dhelmise only?

Why not Trevenant, Cacturne, Maractus, Sunflora?
Weird because some grass types look like they should learn water pulse, water pledge, bubble, bubble beam.
Roserade with Water Shuriken?
Vileplume and Sunflora with Scald?
Muddy Water? Parasect?

What grass pokemon learn fire type moves?
Ludicollo(fire type), Gourgheist(has fire in pumkin as a ghost), Roselia(weather ball-sun)

Tropius should learn a fire type move actually taking sun power and it learns dragon like moves already.
Hmm makin it a rose dragon wouldn't be a problem and change leafs for dorns and give sleep dorn by contact.
Taking Sunflora, Vileplume, Cacturn, Maractus, Roserade should get something in the fire realm actually or weather ball.
If not heat wave then fire spin, fire pledge, Incinerate? I know they can't burn themself but using their solar power to create fiire outside their body like will-o-wisp and those others relating to hot air? especially the cactus , sunflower and secondary poison types.

weird but Viplume and Parasect should get actually "Powder".(if Powder would react to fire, electric and poison then its use would be better and for them)

_

Cofagrigus

should learn:

- sand tomb , earth power and sand moves because of the mummy realation
-stealth rocks and other entry hazards
- earth power
-arm thrust
___
Goodra and Drampa both got Sap Sipper what's really weird, though that Drampa would deserve Flash Fire or Immunity.

Last edited:
I find this a bit strange. Why doesn't Torterra learn Shell Smash? A fair few turtle/tortoise Pokemon learn it, like Carracosta and Turtonator, so why doesn't Torterra? It could give it a much-needed upgrade by allowing it to hit like a Mack truck and be quicker on its heavy feet. After all, Shell Smash made several previously lackluster Mons, like Cloyster, gain a huge boost, so why not give some love to Torterra with Shell Smash? If it could get Shell Smash by the time the Gen 4 remakes hit the market, then I'd be really happy. But, seriously, why doesn't Torterra learn Shell Smash? It could give it a much-needed tool to boost itself to a better position than it currently is in. Well, let's hope it gets it by the time DP gets the remake treatment.

Black Kyurem and White Kyurem cannot learn Ice Punch despite each having an arm encased in ice. They really should be able to learn that move, along with Icicle Crash.
That's because regular Kyurem's arms are obviously way too small for punching, and they have to consider all the forms while designing the movesets.

That's because regular Kyurem's arms are obviously way too small for punching, and they have to consider all the forms while designing the movesets.

If this was the case, then Wooper, Gastly, and Stuffle wouldn’t be able to learn Ice Punch since they don’t have hands, even though their evolutions do. Also, Buneary and Delibird can learn Ice Punch as an egg move despite having stubs for hands. If a small rabbit and penguin can punch, I think a frigid ice dragon can too.

If this was the case, then Wooper, Gastly, and Stuffle wouldn’t be able to learn Ice Punch since they don’t have hands, even though their evolutions do. Also, Buneary and Delibird can learn Ice Punch as an egg move despite having stubs for hands. If a small rabbit and penguin can punch, I think a frigid ice dragon can too.
Maybe it's because Kyurem, and its moveset, was originally designed when it didn't have those alternate forms?

That's a signature move. Sure Kyurem also has access to different signature moves in different forms, but Ice Punch isn't one of those.
So? That hasn't stopped us from getting other form differences with different movesets that didn't use signature moves, like Cosplay Pikachu and Rotom.

Because it doesn't have a shell to actually smash?

Makes sense to me, really.

Uh, no. It most definitely has a shell. Here's it's official description bio from the wiki.

Torterra is a tall and bulky quadruped Pokémon resembling a tortoise, with a large shell covering its back. There is a single, oak-like tree and three triangular, stony extensions resembling mountain peaks on the top of the shell. There is a patch of brown, resembling soil, next to the tree. A white rim surrounds the shell, and forms a diamond-shaped continuation on the front. Torterra's body appears sectioned, with the upper half being green and the lower half brown. Its mouth is jagged and at the end of its snout is a dark brown beak, giving it the appearance of a snapping turtle. Its lower jaw is green and there are two large spikes protruding from its cheeks. Torterra's small, red eyes are encircled by a black ring. Its legs are thick and they have four toes each, which appear as if they are actually jagged stones. There are three toes on the front and one on the heel.

Torterra's large and clean shell supports the lives of many small Pokémon, which occasionally gather and build their nests upon the shell. Some are born and spend their entire life there. Torterra migrate in search of water, creating the illusion of "moving forests". However, it is typically immobile.

Notice the words I put in bold and italics? The word in question being SHELL. Therefor, Torterra has a shell, meaning it has all the "requirements" to use Shell Smash. So, no, it most certainly has a shell, therefor it should be capable of Shell Smash, otherwise other turtle/tortoise Mons wouldn't be able to use Shell Smash themselves. So, yeah, Torterra has a shell.

I mean, yeah, it has a shell.

But it also has a 'mini environment' on it, so he doesn't have a shell he can break without repercussions like the others can since that would mean destroying the mini world on his shell.

Here's a more grey example. Nosepass should regain its access to Head Smash now that there's not one, but two legitimate donors for that move in Sudowoodo and Aegislash. I totally understand why they backpedalled on this for Gen V, but the reasoning back then doesn't apply anymore.

Maybe these have been brought up before, but I’m not bothering to check so I’ll list my most painful examples:

- Aurorus, special attacking rock type with jewels along its body who cannot learn Power Gem, and aurora themed ice type with Snow Warning who cannot learn Aurora veil. Thing can’t seem to catch a break...

- Xerneas who cannot learn Recover. But it does learn Heal Pulse. So, it can give life to anyone but itself?

Crawdaunt shouldn't be able to use Snarl. The Japanese name of the move is Bark Out, and pretty much every other Pokemon that can learn it is either a dog/cat or a Pokemon that seems like it can make loud barking/snarling sounds. Crawdads, the animal Crawdaunt is based on, can't produce barking/snarling sounds, so it makes little sense for it to be able to learn Snarl.

Crawdaunt shouldn't be able to use Snarl. The Japanese name of the move is Bark Out, and pretty much every other Pokemon that can learn it is either a dog/cat or a Pokemon that seems like it can make loud barking/snarling sounds. Crawdads, the animal Crawdaunt is based on, can't produce barking/snarling sounds, so it makes little sense for it to be able to learn Snarl.
On that note, why the hell can Bisharp do it too

On that note, why the hell can Bisharp do it too
If we judged primarily on Japanese names, the Axew and Pawniard lines wouldn't have Guillotine because they lack pincers. Does that make sense? No, it'd be ridiculous. Maybe the inspirations behind Crawdawnt and Bisharp can't bark, but there's no reason why the Pokémon themselves couldn't make snarling noises.

Last edited:
If we judged primarily on Japanese names, the Axew and Pawniard lines wouldn't have Guillotine because they lack pincers. Does that make sense? No, it'd be ridiculous. Maybe the inspirations behind Crawdawnt and Bisharp can't bark, but there's no reason why the Pokémon themselves couldn't make snarling noises.

I wasn't basing it solely on the Japanese name. That's why I said
Crawdads, the animal Crawdaunt is based on, can't produce barking/snarling sounds

And while I guess the Pokémon themselves could make snarling noises even though their inspirations couldn't, I consider that unlikely, especially in Crawdaunt's case. GameFreak tends to keep things somewhat logical.

342Crawdaunt_Dream.png
No mouth....

I wasn't basing it solely on the Japanese name. That's why I said

And while I guess the Pokémon themselves could make snarling noises even though their inspirations couldn't, I consider that unlikely, especially in Crawdaunt's case. GameFreak tends to keep things somewhat logical.

342Crawdaunt_Dream.png
No mouth....

Actually, my beautiful scary crawfish baby does have a mouth. It’s right where the top of the white and blue section on its front meets the red of its carapace.

Back
Top Bottom