• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

But the elemental was based on the animal. Unless you're talking about the Paracelsus elementals, which were salamanders in name only.
Okay, I should have said pop culture elemental salamanders, which are reptilian. Or at least that's how they are represented in the places I have been.

Also, Emboar and Centiskorch actually get Scald? Why?

But the elemental was based on the animal. Unless you're talking about the Paracelsus elementals, which were salamanders in name only. This is what he drew them as:
And the way he wrote about them didn't sound a lot like how Charmander looks.
As far as the personalities of the Elementals are concerned, it may be said that those belonging to the element of water resemble human beings of either sex; those of the air are greater and stronger;' the Salamanders are long, lean, and dry; the Pigmies are of the length of about two spans, but they may extend or elongate their forms until they appear like giants.

Salamanders have been seen in the shapes of fiery balls, or tongues of fire running over the fields or appearing in houses.
Plus, Sugimori lists lizards as one of its inspirations.

Emboar and Centiskorch also get Scald, though, so it's not like being a Fire-type is a complete write-off. (although I think they shouldn't either)

boars are mammals that drink and eat water, means a one attack possible, centipedes also are water like animals actually...
taking hot water attack that burns they should learn it actually... but back to scald why 15 pp? why not reduce amount to 8pp?

taking that Tigers can swim, Incineroar should learn Surf and Scald too actually and would get interesting

what about Focus Punch and Galarian pokemon?
a little weird that they got left out from this cool one especially Rillaboom...

Heat wave is hot wind in japanese, usually learned by pokemon that can flap their wings or pokemon like shiftry that flap other parts, and oven/engine-based mons due to them being famous for creating massive quantities of hot gases,like weezing, and also solrock ,because it's a sun, anything that doesn't fall into these categories is fire-type ,like the starters ,ponyta growlithe and vulpix etc...
Dragapult is based on a jet plane and the horns where Dreepy sit look vaguely similar to the engines on the plane it’s based upon (apparently they’re “buried” in the wings of the plane to make it more stealthy). Plus it can already learn Flamethrower. Therefore, I don’t think it would be too far fetched if Dragapult got Heat Wave.

Okay, I should have said pop culture elemental salamanders, which are reptilian. Or at least that's how they are represented in the places I have been.
Really? I always see pop culture elementals based on the amphibian, since that's what shares its name.
Also, Emboar and Centiskorch actually get Scald? Why?
Game Freak: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
boars are mammals that drink and eat water
Every animal requires water to live... Doesn't mean every Pokemon should learn water moves.

Dragapult's water moves do possibly come from it being inspired on an amphibian animal, and the other moves come from Game Freak wanting to give it as much long range moves as possible as well as it being insipired on a weapon.

I don't like that Game Freak gave High Horsepower to literally everyone. I always associate it with Mudsdale and most of the Pokémon they gave it don't have horse-like legs or even bulky legs to believably pull it off. Also, "horsepower" is more of a term I'd associate with a Fighting or Electric move than a Ground one. If they wanted a strong Ground move that didn't hit allies they could have:
  • Buff Stomping Tantrum and remove its gimmick (Still has the leg problem, but only on a couple Pokémon).
  • Buff Bulldoze and change its animation so it only hits one target, kind of a directed tremor.
  • Buff Drill Run and change its animation so it can be performed with claws instead of just with horns, for maximum coverage.

Last edited:
I always associate it with Mudsdale and most of the Pokémon they gave it don't have horse-like legs or even bulky legs to believably pull it off.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see that legless Sandaconda and not-horse Drednaw could learn High Horsepower. I think it should be mostly restricted to Pokemon with hooves or feet very similar to hooves. Like, Mamoswine and Hippowdon can stay, but Excadrill and Appletun shouldn't be able to use it, for example.

This is the first time I'm looking up who learns it, and sorry, what? Dugtrio, Onix, Golurk... Game Freak, I know you've seen horses before, what's the deal.
The ones I have seen look more draconid, like the card "Salamandra" from YGO.
Given the name, I think that's still at least partly based on amphibians, since Salamandra is also the name of a genus of salamanders. (A lot of which are named fire salamanders)

This is the first time I'm looking up who learns it, and sorry, what? Dugtrio, Onix, Golurk... Game Freak, I know you've seen horses before, what's the deal.
The Japanese name is 100,000 Horsepower, and the Spanish name is Fuerza Equina (Equine Force/Strength), so yeah... I have no idea.

Given the name, I think that's still at least partly based on amphibians, since Salamandra is also the name of a genus of salamanders. (A lot of which are named fire salamanders)
Not really.

1586474765852.png

There's also this other anime-only card known as Alchemic Beast - Salamandra the Steel that is also dragon-like:

1586475100807.png

Okay, I get learning it as a TM, but why did Charizard learn Shadow Claw by level up for four generations?

Really? I always see pop culture elementals based on the amphibian, since that's what shares its name.

Game Freak: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Every animal requires water to live... Doesn't mean every Pokemon should learn water moves.

ok, but Stonejunger learning weather ball and using it in rain would be actually cool or not?
Taking Emboar and some slow fire types, better not complaine about that...
they can always modify Steam engine and water compaction halfing water damage...
also if more would get dry skin...

• Buff Stomping Tantrum and remove its gimmick (Still has the leg problem, but only on a couple Pokémon).
  • Buff Bulldoze and change its animation so it only hits one target, kind of a directed tremor.
  • Buff Drill Run and change its animation so it can be performed with claws instead of just with horns, for maximum coverage.

• Buff High-Horse-power and make it a increased priority move with 80 power and work like sucker punch
  • (but +2, or make it like First Impresion, power 90 +2 increased priority and works the first turn only)
  • Stomping Tantrum should remove a terrain when it actually works.... that gimmick is actually cool in double battles but could work after protects taking that flying and levitate users are there and there could be a switch in and out effect , that when pokemon switch too
  • Drill Run should hit Dig users underground the same for Stomping Tantrum(there its power always could be 150)
  • Fissure should remove entry hazards and terrain like Defog does even if it doesnt KO oponent

seriously why no ground increased priority move till now with so many flying ,levitate and magnet rise users?

a ground or sand version of Avalanche , a ground type version of Focus Punch and ground type draining type move...(after so many generations)

Why does grassy terrain not reduce power of Stomping tantrum, Drill run, steamroller, avalanche, glaciate?

Incinerate and Fire Pledge used on grassy terrain should activate the sea of fire...
and water pledge and water sport on grassy terrain should activate the other effect too...
Fire pledge during rain should cause that rainbow effect, and water pledge during sun too.
Those combos should activate during single and double more often.(even without the power boost that the pledge moves give each other)

generaly all the one hit KO moves like Fissure should be priority moves.
would make Damp users immune to KO moves, Powder. Weird that Damp doesnt react with stoping tantrum, earthquake, magnitude to Damp those moves...

Bulletproof should block more moves...

Obstruct should be a sound move that sound moves and soundproof pokemon should be unaffected by it...
Would make Primarina and Incineroar learn it... to make it diffrent from Protect and Detect would make its effect break Substitutes and not be able to get hit by Phantom Force and feint in return.

Wiglytuff with Encore and Torment and maybe a priority move?
taking its the best Dragapult counter not in the games yet...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom