• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Taking Copperjahs elephant form and dex description
The description that specifically says they're resistant to water? I don't think that's a good case to make for learning Water moves.
would give it the move Thief to steal a berry to use then Belch better.
Or you could just give it a berry instead of basing a strategy on 1) your opponent having a berry, and 2) you being able to consume that berry yourself.
Trevanant frost breath(ghosts not matter what type should get this),
Pyro Ball , mystical fire, incinerate but pyro ball would be cooler bc it could do it with a stone and throw with the hand...
would help it to beat steel types with forests curse.
Or, instead of giving a tree a bunch of Fire moves when it's weak to Fire, you could just use Dig, Drain Punch, or Focus Blast, moves that it already knows which are also super effective against Steel types.

The description that specifically says they're resistant to water? I don't think that's a good case to make for learning Water moves.

elephant that has rain and skin color changes in dex description? come on its steel not ground or rock but steel... and very slow...
at least metronome would give it a chance to use Steam Eruption by accident but it should get something in that direction.

Or, instead of giving a tree a bunch of Fire moves when it's weak to Fire, you could just use Dig, Drain Punch, or Focus Blast, moves that it already knows which are also super effective against Steel types.

ok here you are right TechSkylander1518

elephant that has rain and skin color changes in dex description? come on its steel not ground or rock but steel... and very slow...
...Where are you getting these dex descriptions?

Cufant:
SwordIt digs up the ground with its trunk. It's also very strong, being able to carry loads of over five tons without any problem at all.
ShieldIf a job requires serious strength, this Pokémon will excel at it. Its copper body tarnishes in the rain, turning a vibrant green color.
Copperajah:
SwordThey came over from another region long ago and worked together with humans. Their green skin is resistant to water.
ShieldThese Pokémon live in herds. Their trunks have incredible grip strength, strong enough to crush giant rocks into powder.
GMax Copperajah:
SwordSo much power is packed within its trunk that if it were to unleash that power, the resulting blast could level mountains and change the landscape.
ShieldAfter this Pokémon has Gigantamaxed, its massive nose can utterly demolish large structures with a single smashing blow.

There is absolutely nothing about rain or changing skin color here.

...Where are you getting these dex descriptions?

Cufant:
SwordIt digs up the ground with its trunk. It's also very strong, being able to carry loads of over five tons without any problem at all.
ShieldIf a job requires serious strength, this Pokémon will excel at it. Its copper body tarnishes in the rain, turning a vibrant green color.
Copperajah:

SwordThey came over from another region long ago and worked together with humans. Their green skin is resistant to water.
ShieldThese Pokémon live in herds. Their trunks have incredible grip strength, strong enough to crush giant rocks into powder.
GMax Copperajah:

SwordSo much power is packed within its trunk that if it were to unleash that power, the resulting blast could level mountains and change the landscape.
ShieldAfter this Pokémon has Gigantamaxed, its massive nose can utterly demolish large structures with a single smashing blow.
There is absolutely nothing about rain or changing skin color here.

Their green skin is resistant to water.
Its copper body tarnishes in the rain, turning a vibrant green color.

Being resistant to water doesn’t mean you can learn water moves. By that logic every grass and dragon type would be learning some.

I'll admit it'll be nice to see an elephant with water moves from its trunk, but most water type moves would be useless, since:
1. It’s attack stat is much better than special attack.
2. Earthquake exists to deal with fire types.

Here's a missed opportunity: why the hell is Drifblim STILL unable to learn Air Slash? I mean, Sword/Shield turned the move into a freakin' TM, this would've been a perfect chance to give Drifblim an actually special-based Flying move. But, nope, it gets shafted. The best Flying move it learns is Acrobatics and, while yes, it is a good move, Drifblim could really stand for a decent special-based Flying move, as it's only option is... Gust. At least Platinum gave it Air Cutter via Tutor, but it lost even that come the next gen. It can't learn Hurricane, either, which is another missed opportunity, as that move is now a TR. Seriously, GF, why do you not want to give Drifblim an actually special Flying move? At least give it Air Cutter again, as it's SOMETHING that is stronger than Gust.

Not rain or changing skin color.
Okay, missed that line, but that's literally just describing how metal reacts to water getting on it. That's no more a reason that it should learn water than saying something like "Charmander's fire goes out if it gets wet".

I know TMs generally give lots of Pokemon big coverage- too much, usually, if you ask me- but what's going on with Dream Eater? Meowth? Lapras? Porygon? Aipom? Yanma? Dunsparce? Spinda? Wormadam? Sewaddle? Aurorus?

I know TMs generally give lots of Pokemon big coverage- too much, usually, if you ask me- but what's going on with Dream Eater? Meowth? Lapras? Porygon? Aipom? Yanma? Dunsparce? Spinda? Wormadam? Sewaddle? Aurorus?

could get in handy if they create in future a new pokemon that has a form change and stats like wishiwashi when getting sleep stats and that could normally use its moves, then a lot will make sense.

also Rest users still hapen and own combos are possible with them when they can put oponent to sleep via swagger... Its psychic but it doesnt mean they cant but they wont get stab from it

Being resistant to water doesn’t mean you can learn water moves. By that logic every grass and dragon type would be learning some.

I'll admit it'll be nice to see an elephant with water moves from its trunk, but most water type moves would be useless, since:
1. It’s attack stat is much better than special attack.
2. Earthquake exists to deal with fire types.

1. that would mean all pokemon should not learn moves when their stats isnt right? make it versatile a little... look at other pokemon like Dragapult

2. what does it have against ground types??? a ground/steel pokemon??? Power whip??? what about a sap sipper user?
Earthquake on grassy terrain??? (ps. hope grassy terrain halfs Dig , Rock tomb, Stone Edge too in future)

Last edited:
Just try using those moves. Super effective moves with low stats are useless. You should actually try making things and battling with them in either the games or Showdown if you don’t have that.

hey not useless taking some pokemon have different defense and sp. defense ...
like Cinderace and Energy Ball with 65 sp. attack can be good and fits its motive as footballer.
or would you give it Seed Bomb or Bullet seed?

Competetive play should allow choices and not force us all to use the strongest moves... status moves aren't your favorites?
the ones that can switch your attacking stats or even exchange targets with user?

what if your oponent uses light screen/ reflect, lowers your stats your pokemon is in and the only option is the oposite direction?

wait till they create pokemon with substitutes against special attacks that get restored in weather or on a terrain or if they ever create a pokemon immune to special attacks (dragon/ghost two legged winged skeleton )and a other pokemon immune to physical attacks (ghost/psychic) and cause us to change strategies more, with right stats , typing and movesets everything is possible...

Last edited:
hey not useless taking some pokemon have different defense and sp. defense ...
like Cinderace and Energy Ball with 65 sp. attack can be good and fits its motive as footballer.
or would you give it Seed Bomb or Bullet seed?

Competetive play should allow choices and not force us all to use the strongest moves... status moves aren't your favorites?
the ones that can switch your attacking stats or even exchange targets with user?

what if your oponent uses light screen/ reflect, lowers your stats your pokemon is in and the only option is the oposite direction?
Like I said, feel free trying these things yourself and check what works. I use what works for me in the majority of the situations with some flair. Most of your situations sound okay on paper, but actually never happen.

If you really want to know what do I do with reflect/Light screen, I get my Cinderace to court change, which gives me automatic reflect/light screen.

Like I said, feel free trying these things yourself and check what works. I use what works for me in the majority of the situations with some flair. Most of your situations sound okay on paper, but actually never happen.

If you really want to know what do I do with reflect/Light screen, I get my Cinderace to court change, which gives me automatic reflect/light screen.

yes but you waste a turn that the oponet also can use... what about abilities? what if cinderace is paralyzed?

what if it meets a rhyperior pokemon or water/rock or water/ground with strong defense but weak sp. defense in last battle and that pokemon has enourmous defense stats but weak special defense? thats often the case.

yes but you waste a turn that the oponet also can use... what about abilities? what if cinderace is paralyzed?

what if it meets a rhyperior pokemon or water/rock or water/ground with strong defense but weak sp. defense in last battle and that pokemon has enourmous defense stats but weak special defense? thats often the case.
That’s why you have 6 slots in a team. You only have four move slots. It’s up to every person to decide what to prepare for. A single Pokemon cannot be prepared for each and every thing. Cinderace cannot defeat things like Seismitoad and Gastrodon without fainting itself, even with grass moves.

And you’re disrupting discussion by going way too off topic.

Way too many Pokemon can learn the move Toxic, a move that badly poisons the target. Why is this move in particular almost universal? It makes sense that Poison-type Pokemon would get access to this move, but other typings?

Way too many Pokemon can learn the move Toxic, a move that badly poisons the target. Why is this move in particular almost universal? It makes sense that Poison-type Pokemon would get access to this move, but other typings?
Its specially ironic that the thing that benefits the most from it is Chansey: a Pokemon whose entire lore niche is a healer. I think the move deserves a nerf. Maybe, when a non-Poison type uses it, it inflicts regular poison instead of bad poison.

And if people feel that’s an overkill, a system could be put in place:
Non-Poison types apply the regular poison condition to the opponent, but if the move is used a second time on a Pokemon that’s regular poisoned, it converts into toxic poison.
Poison types get the superior toxic effect in the first go itself.

Its specially ironic that the thing that benefits the most from it is Chansey: a Pokemon whose entire lore niche is a healer. I think the move deserves a nerf. Maybe, when a non-Poison type uses it, it inflicts regular poison instead of bad poison.

And if people feel that’s an overkill, a system could be put in place:
Non-Poison types apply the regular poison condition to the opponent, but if the move is used a second time on a Pokemon that’s regular poisoned, it converts into toxic poison.
Poison types get the superior toxic effect in the first go itself.

Yes Chansey line really should learn Purify

Back
Top Bottom