• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

While this is true, Pokémon and the moves they get do follow some logic for the most part—otherwise I think GameFreak would just be arbitrarily adding moves to Pokémon. For the most part, you can look at the moves a Pokémon knows and come up with a halfway decent explanation for why they can learn those moves. I don’t really think you can come up with a reasonable explanation for why a normal house-cat and regular insect larva can posses the mystical ability to eat dreams.

Feint Attack isn’t strong at all and it definitely isn’t hurting the viability of Ghost types (are you thinking of Pursuit?). It’s got a base power of only 60, and its only upside is that it has perfect accuracy, which isn’t really that great of a trade-off considering there’s stronger Dark type moves that have perfect accuracy unless there’s accuracy/evasion modification, which is kinda uncommon. Though I will admit that allowing Sneak Attack to be even sneakier would be interesting and help differentiate it from Aerial Ace. Maybe increased priority as well considering it is a sneak attack?

Priority instead of not activating abilities effecfs. Would make sense to hit semiinvurnerable moves with it. Maybe make it one too?

Okay, I see the reasoning behind it- whales are known for their calls- but it's still a little weird that Wailord gets Noble Roar, but Luxray doesn't. And considering the Japanese name is War Cry, that makes it seem like it should be on more Fighting types before we start saying "Well, whales can be loud too, right?"

EDIT: Also, if Basculin can learn Head Smash, maybe some other big Rock types like Golem and Rhyperior should get it, too?

I can see Emboar being able to use Scald, as it's superheated water launched at the target, but the other ones don't make sense.

fire blast has one of the weirdest distributions to me. fire and dragon types make sense for obvious reasons, but when you get into weird territory when pokemon like blissey and slaking can learn it. even muk can learn it and it has nothing to do with fire whatsoever. it's just funny to me lol.

fire blast has one of the weirdest distributions to me. fire and dragon types make sense for obvious reasons, but when you get into weird territory when pokemon like blissey and slaking can learn it. even muk can learn it and it has nothing to do with fire whatsoever. it's just funny to me lol.
Thunderbolt's got weird distribution, too, including Meowth, Cranidos, Aggron, Golurk, and Amaura.

Let’s not get started on Slowpoke...

There's these two trilogies of moves like that- Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam, and then their stronger counterparts, Fire Blast, Thunder, and Blizzard, and for whatever reason, Game Freak just loves slapping those moves onto random Pokemon.

A few examples like this:
  • Nidoking and Nidoqueen can learn all six of these moves. Yep, the Ground types weak to Ice can summon a blizzard for some reason.
  • Raticate doesn't get Flamethrower or Fire Blast, but it does get everything else. Sure, a common Normal-type rat can just unleash Ice Beam and Thunder, why not.
  • Marowak doesn't get Thunder or Thunderbolt, but it does get everything else. I mean, who doesn't associate the Ground-type skull-wearing Pokemon with Ice Beam?
  • Lickitung learn all of these.
  • Rhydon learns all of these.
  • Kangaskhan learns all of these.
  • Dunsparce learns all of these.
  • Furret learns all of these except for Fire Blast. (I wanna meet the Game Freak employee who said "Sure, Furret can learn Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam, and sure, we can go further and give it Blizzard and Thunder, but Fire Blast? No way!)
  • Grimer can learn all of them except for the Ice moves.
  • Miltank doesn't learn the Fire moves, but learns everything else.
  • Chansey learns all of them.
  • Zigzagoon doesn't learn the Fire moves, but learns everything else.
  • Exploud doesn't learn the Electric moves, but learns everything else.
  • Slaking learns all of them.
  • Delcatty doesn't learn the Fire moves, but learns everything else.
  • Aggron learns all of them.
  • Snorlax learns all of them.
Hey, Game Freak? Chill.

I can see Emboar being able to use Scald, as it's superheated water launched at the target, but the other ones don't make sense.
It's hot, sure, but it's also a bunch of water being blasted out. If Emboar can blast out water like that, why can't it learn Water Gun and Hydro Pump?

There's these two trilogies of moves like that- Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam, and then their stronger counterparts, Fire Blast, Thunder, and Blizzard, and for whatever reason, Game Freak just loves slapping those moves onto random Pokemon.
And don't forget the elemental punches: Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, and Ice Punch.

A few examples like this:
  • Nidoking and Nidoqueen can learn all six of these moves. Yep, the Ground types weak to Ice can summon a blizzard for some reason.
  • Raticate doesn't get Flamethrower or Fire Blast, but it does get everything else. Sure, a common Normal-type rat can just unleash Ice Beam and Thunder, why not.
  • Marowak doesn't get Thunder or Thunderbolt, but it does get everything else. I mean, who doesn't associate the Ground-type skull-wearing Pokemon with Ice Beam?
  • Lickitung learn all of these.
  • Rhydon learns all of these.
  • Kangaskhan learns all of these.
  • Dunsparce learns all of these.
  • Furret learns all of these except for Fire Blast. (I wanna meet the Game Freak employee who said "Sure, Furret can learn Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam, and sure, we can go further and give it Blizzard and Thunder, but Fire Blast? No way!)
  • Grimer can learn all of them except for the Ice moves.
  • Miltank doesn't learn the Fire moves, but learns everything else.
  • Chansey learns all of them.
  • Zigzagoon doesn't learn the Fire moves, but learns everything else.
  • Exploud doesn't learn the Electric moves, but learns everything else.
  • Slaking learns all of them.
  • Delcatty doesn't learn the Fire moves, but learns everything else.
  • Aggron learns all of them.
  • Snorlax learns all of them.
Hey, Game Freak? Chill.

It's hot, sure, but it's also a bunch of water being blasted out. If Emboar can blast out water like that, why can't it learn Water Gun and Hydro Pump?
At this point, I guess it's a reference to the Fire, Thunder, and Blizzard spells from Final Fantasy, or Sizz, Zap and Crack from Dragon Quest. So you could say it's more of less thinking in the same way as old school RPGs (and some modern ones).

Ursaring. Salandit. Shuckle. Jinx. Forretress.

What move do these Pokemon have in common?

Sweet Scent??????

(I can get Sweet Scent on Salazzle, since it's supposed to be alluring, but Salandit?)

Sweet Scent??????

(I can get Sweet Scent on Salazzle, since it's supposed to be alluring, but Salandit?)
For me Salandit and Shuckle are the ones which make sense (In Salandit a trait which amplified on evolution for females, and Shuckle’s berry juices). But Forretress makes the least amount of sense.

I guess one could stretch honey’s scent = Ursaring’s move, but I can’t think of any justification for forretress, specially given its steel type.

but I can’t think of any justification for forretress, specially given its steel type.
I figure its Bug typing is the reason it can learn Sweet Scent. I know that several species of insects can emit an odor for several purposes, mostly for defense.

Sweet Scent??????

For me Salandit and Shuckle are the ones which make sense (In Salandit a trait which amplified on evolution for females, and Shuckle’s berry juices). But Forretress makes the least amount of sense.

I guess one could stretch honey’s scent = Ursaring’s move, but I can’t think of any justification for forretress, specially given its steel type.
I figure its Bug typing is the reason it can learn Sweet Scent. I know that several species of insects can emit an odor for several purposes, mostly for defense.
I was really confused by it as well. I did some research and the best I could find is an article here about bag worms that states “The females produce a powerful scent, or pheromone, that attracts the males.”
But this applies to the moths that bagworms turn into, so yeah still pretty shaky logic there.

Back
Top Bottom