• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Okay, so this is an ability that a Pokemon should have rather than a move, and also it's an ability that doesn't really exist, but:
Hitmonchan: Learns a bunch of punching moves, has Iron Fist, an ability to power up punching moves
Hitmonlee: Learns a bunch of kicking moves, does not have any ability referencing this????

Okay, so this is an ability that a Pokemon should have rather than a move, and also it's an ability that doesn't really exist, but:
Hitmonchan: Learns a bunch of punching moves, has Iron Fist, an ability to power up punching moves
Hitmonlee: Learns a bunch of kicking moves, does not have any ability referencing this????
Well, weirdly enough, kicking moves aren't classified as such. I don't think there's a programming tag on kicking moves that says that they are kicking moves. It is kinda strange, though.

At least Hitmonlee can have Reckless, which powers up Jump Kick and High Jump Kick.

kinda weird when you consider how many kicking moves there are

- high jump kick
- rolling kick
- jump kick
- mega kick
- low kick
- triple kick
- blaze kick

although tbf i think the reason for no kicking ability, if i had to take a wild guess, is because of the ridiculously low distribution of any kicking move beyond high jump kick, low kick, and mega kick. punch moves have a lot more distribution among them because of elemental punches along with mega punch, power up punch, mach punch, drain punch, etc.

I was just chatting with my brother about how Phanpy can't learn any Ground type attacks by level up. In fact most of it's moves are pretty useless. It gets better after evolution but I think it should learn some ground moves. Here's some moves I would give it:
-Mud Slap
-Mud Shot (it could shoot mud from it's trunk)
-Bulldoze
-Stomping Tantrum
-Magnitude

- high jump kick
- rolling kick
- jump kick
- mega kick
- low kick
- triple kick
- blaze kick

although tbf i think the reason for no kicking ability, if i had to take a wild guess, is because of the ridiculously low distribution of any kicking move beyond high jump kick, low kick, and mega kick. punch moves have a lot more distribution among them because of elemental punches along with mega punch, power up punch, mach punch, drain punch, etc.

Which, with Blaze kick being alive, I feel we need more elemental kicks as well. There are enough mons that don't have hands or fists but have legs they can use to attack.

And Cinderace should have had a HA that boosted Kick moves. Just putting that out there.

Which, with Blaze kick being alive, I feel we need more elemental kicks as well. There are enough mons that don't have hands or fists but have legs they can use to attack.

And Cinderace should have had a HA that boosted Kick moves. Just putting that out there.

yeah like even fangs got their elemental variants like a long time ago which is interesting to me lol. even psychic fangs is a thing as of last generation. what's up with kicking moves not getting similar treatment? @_@

- high jump kick
- rolling kick
- jump kick
- mega kick
- low kick
- triple kick
- blaze kick

Agreed, and there is also Double Kick.

I'd also like to see more Tail based attacks like Aqua Tail and Iron Tail. So many Pokémon have tails and use them in combat but there's not a lot of attacks that specifically use them.
There's also Poison Tail and Dragon Tail, and Tail Slap, Tail Glow, and Tail Whip if we stretch it a bit. Counting the big four, that's almost as many Tail moves as Pulse moves, maybe there could be a cool tail-based ability some time in the future?
I dunno, it seems to me like they could've just done like they did with Dancer and kept it as a signature ability for Lee.

Why do so many Pokemon learn Ally Switch? The move is "teleporting with a strange power", and you know who Game Freak decided can teleport? Krabby, Vanillite, Helioptile, Hawlucha, Scorbunny (though not the other starters), Graveler (and Golem, but not Geodude), Wormadam, Nosepass, and Zebstrika. Game Freak, what are you on? Why do you think crabs can teleport? Also, why make it a move and take up a slot instead of letting players switch positions as an action on their turn?

Wait Ally Switch still exists!? Why? The move's only use was in triple battles and those stopped existing in Gen 7! And you're telling me not only that it still exists, but that Pokemon are actively learning it?!

I think Dracovish, Tyrantrum, Sceptile, Garchomp,Goodra, Haxorus, Kommo-o, Flapple, Dracozolt, Duraludon, Turtonator, Drampa and should het it as a TM actually... they can do it with the head actually all like alolan Exeguttor its not fair they didnt got it actualy.

Last edited:
Wait Ally Switch still exists!? Why? The move's only use was in triple battles and those stopped existing in Gen 7! And you're telling me not only that it still exists, but that Pokemon are actively learning it?!
It does have minor use in double battles, in the incredible minor sense that you could switch places with your teammate and benefit from changing the target of an attack, if you could accurately predict your opponent's move and also happen to have a Pokemon who could take the blow, and it would somehow be better than if you attacked yourself. Which is apparently so gosh darn useful Game Freak decided it should come back as a TR for SwSh.

It does have minor use in double battles, in the incredible minor sense that you could switch places with your teammate and benefit from changing the target of an attack, if you could accurately predict your opponent's move and also happen to have a Pokemon who could take the blow, and it would somehow be better than if you attacked yourself. Which is apparently so gosh darn useful Game Freak decided it should come back as a TR for SwSh.
Wait it actually does that? I thought it did literally nothing besides putting the far-left Pokemon over to the far-right in a triple battle if you wanted to get over there for targeting reasons. I guess it does have some potential utility then, but definitely not enough to deserve a TR slot.

Wait it actually does that? I thought it did literally nothing besides putting the far-left Pokemon over to the far-right in a triple battle if you wanted to get over there for targeting reasons. I guess it does have some potential utility then, but definitely not enough to deserve a TR slot.
Oh, I'm not sure I'm being clear enough- I don't mean switch places with anyone in your party like with Volt Switch, I mean switch the left and right Pokemon in a Double Battle- exactly like it is in Triple Battles, it's just that there's no center Pokemon anymore.

Back
Top Bottom