• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Power Whip:

The user violently whirls its vines, tentacles, or the like to harshly lash the target.

Deoxys, with its tentacles, can't learn it. Okay, but maybe they just don't want to spread out a powerful Grass move like that?

Well, Gyarados, Palpitoad, and Grimmsnarl can all learn this. Despite not having anything like that?

Double Hit is a weird case where I honestly think the move description should be changed rather than who learns it. You look at who learns it and it's largely Pokemon with two heads in some way or another- Doduo, Kangaskhan, Girafarig, Weezing, etc, or some other double body part like Floatzel and Ambipom's tails, Scizor and Corphish's pinchers, etc. But the description is:
The user slams the target with a long tail, vines, or a tentacle. The target is hit twice in a row.
Which Doduo, Weezing, Corphish, Scizor, and Girafarig don't exactly have.

Also, I get the idea behind Cloyster getting access to Twineedle, but I think it should have stayed an egg move, not a level up move.

And what's up with Sobble getting Fell Stinger as an egg move? Where's the stinger?

Double Hit is a weird case where I honestly think the move description should be changed rather than who learns it.
Agreed. In the weird cases you listed below, I can easily see how all but Weezing can use Double Hit even though the description doesn't match.
And what's up with Sobble getting Fell Stinger as an egg move? Where's the stinger?
There is a stretch, but, on the official SwSh website it states that Inteleon has "a sharp knife hidden in its tail." Maybe Sobble has one as well and that's the "stinger."

I think Palpitoad gets Power Whip because of its tongue (which is still odd), but yeah Grimmsnarl gets it because it can use its hair.

Gyarados...idk. Either it’s using its whiskers (in which case why don’t Swalot, and Whiscash learn it?) or...its entire body. Which is hilarious to picture but also begs the question of why all eel/snake Pokémon don’t learn it.

Gyarados...idk. Either it’s using its whiskers (in which case why don’t Swalot, and Whiscash learn it?) or...its entire body. Which is hilarious to picture but also begs the question of why all eel/snake Pokémon don’t learn it.

I would imagine it just swings its tail as I think we would all presume it does when using Aqua Tail, but then yeah, that makes you wonder about so many other serpentine Pokémon that can't use it.

Speaking of Gyarados, why the hell can this thing learn Thunder? Seems like the move it would be the least suited to learn.

Perhaps it is so ferocious and its Dragon Dance is so powerful it can summon Thunder from the sky. At least, that is how I explained it to myself whenever I end up thinking about it.

Perhaps because Eel Pokémon are not as powerful as Gyarados is with its tail? I am only saying this based off of size. Certainly, Gyarados is bigger in size than Eelektross or Gorebyss.

How come Marshtomp and Swampert can only know Hydro Pump if learned as a Mudkip? No other starter has that.
There are other Pokémon aside from starters that have such anomalies. Did you know that at least in the Gen III games Numel can learn Flamethrower naturally, but Camerupt can't?

Intelleon and Aqua tail? weird that iron tail has a effect but aqua tail hasn't? water generally has no water moves that lower attack or special attack weird...

NOTE: These are all moves I think some Pokemon should learn. Also, Spirit Break should’ve haven gotten some distribution, or at least, a TM/TR.

Paras/Parasect: Crabhammer, Lunge
Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos: Tail Glow
Drifloon/Drifblim: Cotton Guard, Cotton Spore
Tangela/Tangrowth: Fire Lash
Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath/Toed: Confuse Ray
Gligar/Gliscor: Crabhammer
Audino: Metronome, Screech, Boomburst
Dhelmise: Aura Wheel
Morpeko: Zing Zap, Rollout, Defense Curl
Hitmontop: Topsy-Turvy
Fearow: Beak Blast, Bolt Beak
Octillery: Aura Sphere, Octolock
Blastoise: Octozooka
Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff: Metronome
Doduo/Dodrio: Beak Blast, Bolt Beak
Zapdos: Bolt Beak
Dwebble/Crustle: Crabhammer
Skorupi/Drapion: Crabhammer
Heatmor: Strange Steam, Lick
Blitzle/Zebstrika: High Horsepower
Girafarig: High Horsepower
Sirfetch’d: Crafty Shield, King’s Shield
Mime Jr./Mr. Mime/Mr. Rime: Assist
Flapple: Leaf Tornado
Stunky/Skuntank: Strange Steam

Aura Wheel is Morpeko's signature move, and it refers to hamster wheels. No offense, but what does a piece of seaweed on an anchor have to do with hamsters? Besides, Aura Wheel fails if not used by Morpeko.
Hitmontop: Topsy-Turvy
Topsy-Turvy is the Inkay line's signature move. I think a spinning Fighting-type, even if he stands on his head, is not enough to justify spreading out a signature move.
Fearow: Beak Blast, Bolt Beak
Those are two signature moves right there (Toucannon and the Zolt fossils). I don't see why those moves should be distributed any more, since those moves are what makes those Pokémon special.
Doduo/Dodrio: Beak Blast, Bolt Beak
Zapdos: Bolt Beak
Just because the moves have "beak" in them doesn't mean you should give them to bird Pokémon. Bolt Beak is supposed to be exclusive to Dracozolt and Arctozolt, and it's a very powerful move. Its distribution should be kept limited imo. Saying that those bird Pokémon should get Bolt Beak is like saying Barraskewda should get Fishious Rend. Bolt Beak and Fishious Rend are moves meant for the Galar fossil Pokémon.
Paras/Parasect: Crabhammer
Gligar/Gliscor: Crabhammer
Dwebble/Crustle: Crabhammer
Skorupi/Drapion: Crabhammer
Crabhammer is for crab Pokémon, not all Pokémon that resemble bugs. Besides, the Gligar line and the Skorupi line are based on scorpions, not crabs. Although the Dwebble line is based on hermit crabs, water erodes rock; it wouldn't make too much sense to give the move (that is basically soaking a crab's claw in water and then slamming it into the opponent) to some Rock-type Pokémon. Crabhammer in my opinion should be kept for Water-type Pokémon, since it's a powerful and consistent Water-type move that would be way too spammable, especially for non-Water-types.
Heatmor: Strange Steam
Stunky/Skuntank: Strange Steam
Strange Steam is Galarian Weezing's signature move, and that's how it will stay (for now, at least). Just keep the sig moves sig moves, please! Giving signature moves to other Pokémon decreases the original Pokémon's value and/or competitive viability.
Sirfetch’d: Crafty Shield, King’s Shield
I'm fine with Crafty Shield, but King's Shield is Aegislash's signature move! (Sirfetch'd isn't even a king, and it's too insignificant a Pokémon imo to justify giving King's Shield to it.) If anything, King's Shield should be given to Zamazenta (who should also get Body Press), since Zamazenta is a Legendary Pokémon based on royalty and a shield.
Mime Jr./Mr. Mime/Mr. Rime: Assist
Assist's direct Japanese translation is literally "cat's paw". Could you please explain why the Mime line should get Assist, since they do not have anything to do with cats?

Sorry if I sounded mean, but I am just voicing my opinions, because I think you gotta give reasoning behind why you think those Pokémon should get those moves. It seems like half of them are signature moves, and I feel the users of those signature moves should keep them to themselves (except for Aegislash, whose signature move I feel is just selfish). Again, no offense given. Please don't take my post the wrong way.

Heck, I don't even think Mystical Fire or Fire Lash should have been distributed to other Pokémon, even though GameFreak (I think?) made that decision! Delphox and Heatmor feel forgotten.

I feel slightly different about Leaf Blade. I'm fine with Leaf Blade being more widely distributed. What I'm not fine with is that Sceptile (and pretty much all the non-Kanto/Alola/Galar starters) was absent from Sword and Shield. (At least making them transferable via HOME would be fine with me. But apparently nope.) And it looks like those starters are not ever coming back! (n) I was looking forward to Sceptile getting Solar Blade.

Which brings me to talking about Solar Blade. Like Leaf Blade, I'm fine with Solar Blade being more widely distributed, but I'm not fine with Lurantis, the original user of the move, being completely absent from SwSh! If the Bounsweet line got in, why not let a similar line, the Fomantis line, get in as well? But I digress.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the spoiler, I do think that Zamazenta should get King's Shield and Body Press to differentiate it from Zacian. I think GameFreak decided not to give Zamazenta Body Press because it would be way too powerful, what with its high Defense and Fighting type, but it's so behind Zacian in competitive viability that it really should get Body Press anyway. As for King's Shield, I consider it a kind of parallel to Sacred Sword.

Aura Wheel is Morpeko's signature move, and it refers to hamster wheels. No offense, but what does a piece of seaweed on an anchor have to do with hamsters? Besides, Aura Wheel fails if not used by Morpeko.

While you’re correct, signature moves do not remain signature moves very long. Look at Water Shuriken, Spiky Shield, and Mystical Fire? There are handfuls of signature moves that have eventually landed their way on to other Pokémon. My reasoning is that Dhelmise has a “wheel” thus being able to spin and create moves, like how it can learn Whirlpool. I would even given Flame Wheel.

Speaking of Flame Wheel, why does the Rattata line learn it? It doesn’t even have wheels. Unless it’s related to the “hamster” concept. In which case, give Rattata Aura Wheel too.

Topsy-Turvy is the Inkay line's signature move. I think a spinning Fighting-type, even if he stands on his head, is not enough to justify spreading out a signature move.

In some cases, GameFreak will give certain Pokemon moves based on their appearance and what they can do, as well as concepts about their species that loosely tie into that move. For example, most Flying types can learn Heat Wave (and to a lesser extent Ominous Wind and Twister in earlier generations vi) just because they have wings and can flap them to create a “Heat Wave” of sorts.

Those are two signature moves right there (Toucannon and the Zolt fossils). I don't see why those moves should be distributed any more, since those moves are what makes those Pokémon special.

Tell that to the countless others who had “signature moves that made them special” until they weren

Just because the moves have "beak" in them doesn't mean you should give them to bird Pokémon. Bolt Beak is supposed to be exclusive to Dracozolt and Arctozolt, and it's a very powerful move. Its distribution should be kept limited imo. Saying that those bird Pokémon should get Bolt Beak is like saying Barraskewda should get Fishious Rend. Bolt Beak and Fishious Rend are moves meant for the Galar fossil Pokémon.

Fishious Rend on Barraskewda would actually make a ton of sense, honestly. Also, see above.

Crabhammer is for crab Pokémon, not all Pokémon that resemble bugs. Besides, the Gligar line and the Skorupi line are based on scorpions, not crabs. Although the Dwebble line is based on hermit crabs, water erodes rock; it wouldn't make too much sense to give the move (that is basically soaking a crab's claw in water and then slamming it into the opponent) to some Rock-type Pokémon. Crabhammer in my opinion should be kept for Water-type Pokémon, since it's a powerful and consistent Water-type move that would be way too spammable, especially for non-Water-types.

If certain Ground and Rock Pokemon can learn Surf, Crabhammer is fine. Also, Crabrawler isn’t Water-type but learns Crabhammer, so yeah. The concept is that crabs in general have pincers, like crawfish (Corphish) and pistol shrimp (Clawitzer) and have appendages that can do whatever is needed to learn Cra

Strange Steam is Galarian Weezing's signature move, and that's how it will stay (for now, at least). Just keep the sig moves sig moves, please! Giving signature moves to other Pokémon decreases the original Pokémon's value and/or competitive viability.

You don’t get to deci

I'm fine with Crafty Shield, but King's Shield is Aegislash's signature move! (Sirfetch'd isn't even a king, and it's too insignificant a Pokémon imo to justify giving King's Shield to it.) If anything, King's Shield should be given to Zamazenta (who should also get Body Press), since Zamazenta is a Legendary Pokémon based on royalty and a shield.

Corphish isn’t a crab...Clauncher isn’t a crab...

Assist's direct Japanese translation is literally "cat's paw". Could you please explain why the Mime line should get Assist, since they do not have anything to do with cats?

What do Drowzee, Chimchar, Sentret, Spinda and Sneasel have to do with cats and why can they learn Assist? I gave it to Mime Jr. because it learns Mimic and Copycat, so another copy-type move makes sense. Surprisingly, I left out Mirror Move.

Also, thought up some more. Prepare for more cringe. Also, I’m not going to explain all of them, especially if they are obvious.

Clawitzer: Beak Blast - It’s huge claw looks like a beak, and we have fish who know Peck, so it’s not that unusual.
Lapras: Energy Ball, Shell Smash - Southern Islands Lapras has Energy Ball on its TCG card so I’m not sure why it doesn’t get it here. Shell Smash is because it has a shell.
Chewtle/Drednaw: Shell Smash - see above
Torkoal: Shell Smash, Strange Steam - has dust and steam billowing from its shell.
Basculin: Fishious Rend, Jaw Lock
Carnivine: Jaw Lock, Snap Trap, Octolock
Tentacool/Tentacruel: Octolock, Power Gem, Sunny Day, Solar Beam
Exeggcute/Exeggutor: Shell Smash - eggshells.
Inkay/Malamar: False Surrender, Octolock, Constrict
Beedrill: Pollen Puff
Vespiquen: Pollen Puff, Power Gem
Bronzor/Bronzong: Reflect Type
Carvanha/Sharpedo: Jaw Lock, Fishious Rend
Steelix: Jaw Kock, Coil

Fishious Rend on Barraskewda would actually make a ton of sense, honestly. Also, see above.
Believe me, I wanted Barraskewda to have Fishious Rend as well, but for the sake of game balance, I'm still going with no. As I said before, Bolt Beak and Fishious Rend are very powerful moves. Look at what happened to Dracovish in the Smogon OU metagame. It was banned because of Fishious Rend despite having a base 90 Attack and base 75 Speed. Probably every 'mon with a better Attack or Speed stat than Dracovish would get banned too if they had Fishious Rend or Bolt Beak. Those moves are simply too OP in my opinion to spread to other Pokémon besides the Galar fossils.
If certain Ground and Rock Pokemon can learn Surf, Crabhammer is fine.
Yes, but Surf is a TM/HM. Crabhammer is not. Besides, if the Pokémon you mentioned can't learn Liquidation, why give them Crabhammer? The two moves are quite similar.
You don’t get to decide
Sorry for sounding that way. I was just giving my two cents.
What do Drowzee, Chimchar, Sentret, Spinda and Sneasel have to do with cats and why can they learn Assist? I gave it to Mime Jr. because it learns Mimic and Copycat, so another copy-type move makes sense.
Ohh, now that you say it that way, it does make sense. But what about Metronome, then? It's a wider version of Assist, basically, and I feel Assist is more similar to Metronome than it is to Mimic or Copycat.
Surprisingly, I left out Mirror Move.
Personally, I'm not surprised. Mirror Move is Flying-type Pokémon's Copycat.

Carnivine: Octolock
What? Carnivine is not an octopus...?
Basculin: Fishious Rend
Carvanha/Sharpedo: Fishious Rend
:bulbaFacepalm:
Torkoal: Strange Steam - has dust and steam billowing from its shell.
Um, it's not steam, it's smoke.

Anything I didn't comment on, I agree with. Some of them are actually quite logical. I don't see why Jaw Lock is Drednaw's signature move, especially since it isn't even STAB, so I agree that it should be given to other Pokémon as well. (y)
Anyone else have any opinion on these?

Speaking of Gyarados, why the hell can this thing learn Thunder? Seems like the move it would be the least suited to learn.
Starmie can also learn Thunder/Thunderbolt and Slowbro even knows Fire Blast/Flamethrower (but not Thunder/Thunderbolt)
I find it kinda cool how some Pokémon can learn some extra moves for more type coverage, it helps out in the battle facilities.

What about anchors makes you think of hamsters?
While you’re correct, signature moves do not remain signature moves very long.
One, there are still a few signature moves that haven't been given out to Pokemon beyond their original user(s) such as Shell Trap, Defend Order, or Conversion (counted because it hasn't been given to any Pokemon outside the Porygon line). Two, the move's description literally states "Morpeko attacks and raises its Speed with the energy stored in its cheeks." If the description were more general, I could see GameFreak giving it out to other Pokemon, though definitely not Dhelmise, but it is so specific that I don't think they'll do that.
Clawitzer: Beak Blast - It’s huge claw looks like a beak, and we have fish who know Peck, so it’s not that unusual.
Eh... I'm going to have to disagree here. Pecking isn't specific to birds, it's actually just a sharp strike or piercing action with a pointed object. Hence why some fish Pokemon can learn Peck. Clawitzer has no beak, therefore it makes little sense for it to be able to learn Beak Blast.
Vespiquen: Pollen Puff, Power Gem
Actually, Vespiquen can already learn Power Gem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom