• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Now that I'm raising one, I noticed that Bouffalant learns Throat Chop. Like... HOW is that possible? From what we've seen, Throat Chop is, well, a chopping move similar to Cross Chop. So, how does an afro-wearing buffalo chop? Does it cross its front legs and strike the target? Or does it just simply ram them with its afro-covered horns? That... is a very odd choice of move for a buffalo Mon. It also learns Close Combat, too. How does that work? Does it rear up on its hind legs and start whaling on the opponent in a similar vein to Staraptor? Or does it merely smack them around with aforementioned afro horns? Those are some strange moves for a 70's Disco Stu bison.

with the horn is still posibble to hit precisely enough to do it actually or with it legs when like mule reverse back and hit.

DLC Move Spoiler:
Flip Turn and Inteleon or Samuotrr not getting it is a mystery to me...

chesnaught or Emboar could get steel roller, they have the same body shape as Snorlax come on here...

Inteleon can’t learn a single Posion type attack, which is a bit puzzling because I feel Poison fits really well with the spy theme. The moves Acid, Acid Spray, Cross Poison, Gunk Shot, Poison Sting, Poison Gas, Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, and Toxic Spikes all seem like really fitting moves for Inteleon.

I will die on the hill (now that magearna is back): why doesn't Magearna learn Play Rough now that it is a TR and why doesn't Mr. Mime learn draining kiss since that is also a tm (Maybe Mr. Mime would be too busted?)

I have no idea why Cinderace can't learn Thunder Punch. It can learn Fire Punch, but none of the other elemental punches. This is especially frustrating when it doesn't even have a good coverage against Water types. It can learn Electro Ball for some reason, but it isn't really useful given that Cinderace is more of a physical attacker than a special attacker.

Now that I'm raising one, I noticed that Bouffalant learns Throat Chop. Like... HOW is that possible? From what we've seen, Throat Chop is, well, a chopping move similar to Cross Chop. So, how does an afro-wearing buffalo chop? Does it cross its front legs and strike the target? Or does it just simply ram them with its afro-covered horns? That... is a very odd choice of move for a buffalo Mon. It also learns Close Combat, too. How does that work? Does it rear up on its hind legs and start whaling on the opponent in a similar vein to Staraptor? Or does it merely smack them around with aforementioned afro horns? Those are some strange moves for a 70's Disco Stu bison.
Throat Chop's original Japanese name is translated to "Hell Thrust", so that might be part of the reason. Maybe Bouffalant kicks the target with its hind legs.

Throat Chop's original Japanese name is translated to "Hell Thrust", so that might be part of the reason. Maybe Bouffalant kicks the target with its hind legs.
There's several examples of bison charging and tossing people. I imagine Bouffalant moves in a similar fashion when using Throat Chop, using its head and horns rather than legs.

Eiscue : double wing beat and flip turn

Crammorant: flip turn

taking what Greninja learned in poison department , then Inteleon at least should get
acid spray and acid bomb

Now that I think about it, I guess I know why Aipom learns Assist: Tail (beta Aipom) looked more like a cat than a monkey, and they gave them that move as a development gag. Kinda like how the Hoppip line can learn Pay Day.

Chandelure should be able to learn Flash and Dazzling Gleam. It’s based on the brightest piece of furniture you can get, for crying out loud.

why not BURN OUT? would be first ghost/normal pokemon? if burn out will change fire into normal like it should from the start...
fire/steel minotaur starter with burn out natural enemy of Gengar then, a fire/fairy satyr a natural enemy of dragapult, still hope for fire/ghost centatur

Chandelure should be able to learn Flash and Dazzling Gleam. It’s based on the brightest piece of furniture you can get, for crying out loud.
Сhandеlurе doеs lеarn Flash, athough only via TM. Spеaking of Ghost typеs, I havе rеcеntly discovеrеd that Spiritomb can't lеarn Payback whilе raising onе in Black 2. It makеs absolutеly no sеnsе.

Gyarados and Earthquake are opposite extremes. The Pokémon is a aquatic (and theoretically flying) monster, no reason, whatsoever, to learn the most terrain and powerful ground attack. Especially when the move covers all its weaknesses.

Earthquake allows Gyarados to run freely and rampantly.

Gyarados and Earthquake are opposite extremes. The Pokémon is a aquatic (and theoretically flying) monster, no reason, whatsoever, to learn the most terrain and powerful ground attack. Especially when the move covers all its weaknesses.

Earthquake allows Gyarados to run freely and rampantly.
Speaking of Earthquake, wayyy too much stuff can learn that.

Like, I get why Venusaur or Slaking would be able to, given their size and weight, but... Yungoos? Sharpedo? Arbok?

I’m pretty fine with big and heavy pokemon managing to make the ground crack, but why the hell let featherweight critters do that.

Glalie and Sharpedo don’t even have the body structures to touch the ground (unless you count that floor headbutt from the Hoenn League...)

It always bugged me that Cutiefly couldn't get Aura Sphere, even moreso now it's a TR, given its flavour text explicitly talks about its ability to sense auras. Really, a lot of the newer/long-delayed-returning TMs and TRs have some awful distribution compared to a lot of the more long-running ones, and it's really disappointing

Speaking of Earthquake, wayyy too much stuff can learn that.

Like, I get why Venusaur or Slaking would be able to, given their size and weight, but... Yungoos? Sharpedo? Arbok?

maybe size and weight? something falls hard and can do eathquakes? maybe they should have given all Magnitude instead?

Spirit Break and Lucario? Delphox? Deciduey?
pokemon who have spiritual relations?

Back
Top Bottom