• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Interesting points you guys have brought up. Funny how inconsistent GF can be with this stuff.

Other moves that don't make much sense (edit: disregard anything with a strikethrough):
- Growlithe can't learn growl
- Shroomish knowing focus punch
- Ice punch wooper
- Ampharos doesn't get Tail Glow
- Bronzong not learning heal bell
- Vullaby learning fly, contradicting its dex entry
- Cranidos + Ramparados not learning skull bash
- Huntail can't learn iron tail
- Togekiss getting drain punch, but not draining kiss
- Hawlucha can't learn submission
- Genderless pokemon knowing attract (Cryogonal)
- Way too many pokemon learning toxic
and Gastly can't learn poison gas.

Last edited:
Umbreon should be able to learn Toxic or Poison Gas by level. It just bothers me immensely that to this day Pokedex descriptions go on and on about it sweating poison yet Umbreon isn't able to do that naturally. On that note, I'd like for the Eeveelutions in general to get a bit more coverage to make up for the removal of Hidden Power and Signal Beam.

And why is Lucario able to learn Blaze Kick but not Fire Punch? Are its feet just more fireproof?

And although SwSh improved Garbodor's physical Poison STAB coverage, I still think it's kinda silly that it can't learn Poison Jab.

I also agree with the sentiment that Ampharos should be able to learn Tail Glow. Yeah, it's called "Firefly Light" in Japanese, but neither Manaphy nor Xurkitree are fireflies and they can learn it, so why not Amphy?

Shout out to Veez for mentioning Assist and making me think of this. He mentioned on another thread that he associated Assist with cat Pokemon, and I was like "Well, yeah, isn't it exclusive to cat Pokemon?"

Drowzee and Chimchar can learn it by breeding.

That is not a cat, Game Freak.

I've noticed that Rowlet and Dartrix still can't learn Acrobatics in Gen 8. Decidueye can, but not Rowlet and Dartrix, who would actually get STAB from it. Why? Is GF scared of actually giving a decent STAB move to them? If the entire Litten and Poppilo lines can learn it why can't the entire Rowlet line? I still find that strange.

I've noticed that Rowlet and Dartrix still can't learn Acrobatics in Gen 8. Decidueye can, but not Rowlet and Dartrix, who would actually get STAB from it. Why? Is GF scared of actually giving a decent STAB move to them? If the entire Litten and Poppilo lines can learn it why can't the entire Rowlet line? I still find that strange.
THAT'S THE DUMBEST SITUATION I'VE EVER HEARD OF DHAKLSA

"Should the starters get Acrobatics?"
"Yeah"
"All the evolved forms right?"
"Right"
"And their prevos"
"Sure"
"Especially Rowlet right?"
"NO I'm not letting a Flying type have that move"

THAT'S THE DUMBEST SITUATION I'VE EVER HEARD OF DHAKLSA

"Should the starters get Acrobatics?"
"Yeah"
"All the evolved forms right?"
"Right"
"And their prevos"
"Sure"
"Especially Rowlet right?"
"NO I'm not letting a Flying type have that move"
To be fair, Rowlet does not really have the right body shape for the move. it's shaped like a ball.

To be fair, Rowlet does not really have the right body shape for the move. it's shaped like a ball.
Jumpluff, Solrock, Drifloon, Woobat, and Charjabug all learn the move. I don’t think body shape is a factor.
That, and we have plenty of examples of Pokémon who can learn moves that require anatomy that they outright don't possess, like Wooper being able to learn Ice Punch despite lacking arms or Primeape and Alakazam being able to learn Iron Tail despite lacking a tail. Though to be fair, the latter two evolve from Pokémon that have tails, but it's still kinda silly trying to picture a Primeape or Alakazam using Iron Tail. Do they just ram the opponent with their butt?

Anyway, the point is that if these three are allowed to have access to moves that should literally be physically impossible for them to perform, then the justification of "Rowlet/Dartrix are too round and plump to use Acrobatics" feels incredibly weak.

Though to be fair, the latter two evolve from Pokémon that have tails, but it's still kinda silly trying to picture a Primeape or Alakazam using Iron Tail. Do they just ram the opponent with their butt?

Not sure if I even want to know that anymore to be honest. Especially after seeing something like this:
1603583123580.jpeg

Last edited:
It still pisses me off to this day why Articuno and Moltres can learn Hurricane but not Zapdos, Hurricane would be an incredible move to Zapdos's movepool and it's the bird that can take the most advantage of it (Grass types resist its Electric type moves).
They finally did it in Gen 8 and it's through a TR. Just make Zapdos learn it naturally.
Snorlax should learn Slack Off.
Still can't learn it and it still makes no sense.

Reading recent posts in this thread and i see Gamefreak still does a lot of questionable choices when it comes to which move each pokemon can and cannot learn. Some things never change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom