• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Can we talk about how Gallade can learn Leaf Blade but Aegislash can’t?

The only way I could see it, is that since it's both Steel and Ghost, two very... inorganic (is that the right word here?) typings,,, maybe it can't harness enough ''plant/nature energy'' to use that move?? idk

But I still wish Gallade got Sacred Sword. I mean, it's a rightful knight, and since Gardevoir seems to be also based off guardian angels, maybe Gallade could pull a little from Archangels (ESPECIALLY in it's Mega Form)? At least makes more sense then Oshawott getting it.

And maybe, since the only way Oshawott could get is through breeding with a Smeargle, maybe Gallade CAN'T because most of the mons who get it are Legendaries/Mythicals, and the Aeghislash line is Mineral, and Smeargle is Field, and Gallade is Amorphous/Human-Like??? That could be a reason...

And maybe, since the only way Oshawott could get is through breeding with a Smeargle...

That is strange, I can understand the logic of Smeragle as a cipher, but Ithinkthat thereought to beotherways for those egg moves to be bred to other mons without Smeargle regardless.

Apparently Nidoking and Nidoquen can:

Create Eartquakes
Create Poisonious waves with Sludge Wave
Well, those ones are kinda justifiable due to their types, but the rest I agree. Maybe Fire Blast has to do with the fact they were created when Pokémon had bigger references to kaiju*?

*I don't know much about kaiju.

Apparently Nidoking and Nidoquen can:

Create Eartquakes
Create Poisonious waves with Sludge Wave
Breath Eternal Blizzards
Spit FireBlasts
Sumon Thunders
Create Waves with Surf

The Total Packages of Pokémon

Seems like they'd have close to god-tier coverage then. Steel, Fairy, Grass, Water, Fire, Electric, Ice and Rock would fold to moves of those types.

That said 4MSS would mean that some of these would be gaps and they would have to account for taking hits from Psychic, Water, Grass, Flying and Ground itself.

I'm certain they can also use Physical moves of some of the quoted types as well given that I remember having a Nidoking with the elemental punches form a Dynamax Adventure (not to mention quake itself is physical)

That is strange, I can understand the logic of Smeragle as a cipher, but Ithinkthat thereought to beotherways for those egg moves to be bred to other mons without Smeargle regardless.

The thing is that, looking at pokemon who are both in the field and human-like egg groups (no pokemon is both field and amorphous), the only way I could see it SORTA of working is if Lucario got acess to Sacred Sword and THEN passed it down to a Ralts.

Or they could go with the simpler route: just give it through level up already

I think Normal gets all those element moves because nothing is weak to normal, but there are a number of types strong to it. I've always thought it was meant to be the versatile type for that reason, combined with how almost everything can learn some normal type moves regardless of their own types.

I think Normal gets all those element moves because nothing is weak to normal, but there are a number of types strong to it. I've always thought it was meant to be the versatile type for that reason, combined with how almost everything can learn some normal type moves regardless of their own types.
There's not really that many that are strong against it? Fighting is super effective against it, Rock and Steel resist it, and Ghost is immune to it, although since Normal is also immune to Ghost I'd argue that leaves them equal. That's just two types that resist it and one type that's super effective against it. Compare that to types like Fighting, with five types that resist it and three weaknesses, or Bug, with seven types that resist it and three weaknesses, and Normal's really doing pretty well for itself.

That said 4MSS would mean that some of these would be gaps and they would have to account for taking hits from Psychic, Water, Grass, Flying and Ground itself.

To be fair, Nidoking manhandles Gen 8 OU nowadays. It's a really good meta Pokémon this gen.

To be fair, Nidoking manhandles Gen 8 OU nowadays. It's a really good meta Pokémon this gen.

I'm not surprised. Good typing, the aforementioned coverage and Sheer Force would make it quite a potent force.

Wonder how Nidoqueen fares though.

I'm not surprised. Good typing, the aforementioned coverage and Sheer Force would make it quite a potent force.

I'm pretty sure Nidoqueen is lower cuz it's more defensive-based, where Nidoking is used mostly by it's Offensive-sweeper abilities.
BoltBeam has always been solid man,,,

Nidoqueen is a tier lower. Lower speed and lower special attack but has more bulk instead.

I think Nidoqueen is in UU. The fact that is slower and weaker play a big part, but since is a little bit more bulkier, they use more as a sweeper/stealth rocker/t spiker combo.

YANMEGA.PNG

And it still cannot learn Bite,Crunch or Fly.

I don't understand how Noivern can learn Wild Charge, but can't learn Thunder Wave. Its the Sound Wave Pokemon after all, so it should be able to use its sound to turn it into an Electrice Wave.

Its especially odd, since it can learn Solar Beam, Flamethrower, and Water Pulse. Taking that in mind, its even weirder it cannot learn Thunder Wave.

Its the Sound Wave Pokemon after all, so it should be able to use its sound to turn it into an Electrice Wave
Sound waves ≠ electrons. Sure, they're both waves (sometimes), but one is the expansion and contraction of air molecules while the other is a single charged particle that can behave as a wave. That being said, it is a bit weird to see Pokémon like Dragonite and Purrloin capable of learning the move while Noivern can't. Most other T-wave users are either Electric types, are connected to electricity in some manner (Porygon2, Nosepass, etc.), appear to have mystical/magical powers (Gardevoir, Starmie, etc.), or are Normal types who typically have diverse movepools anyways.

Back
Top Bottom