• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

I find it strange that the Bulbasaur line is notorious for not getting Dig, like the anime even pointed out... when it’s the one that makes the most sense out of the other Kanto starters that do.

The pokemon associated with the sky and the one associated with the sea can burrow underground, but not the one associated with... the ground?

I think its because Squirtle and Charmander have hands.

Here's a curious thing:

Mawile can learn all the elemental fangs, Bite and Crunch, Poison Fnag, etc, which makes sense since it has a giant mouth on the back of it's head. And moves like Ice Punch and Thunder Punch. It can also learn tons of Fire moves, like Fire Fang, Incinerate, Sunny Day, Flamethrower and Fire Blast. But it can't learn Fire Punch. While having acess to the other elemental punches. But Fire Punch is where you draw the line GF?

Here's a curious thing:

Mawile can learn all the elemental fangs, Bite and Crunch, Poison Fnag, etc, which makes sense since it has a giant mouth on the back of it's head. And moves like Ice Punch and Thunder Punch. It can also learn tons of Fire moves, like Fire Fang, Incinerate, Sunny Day, Flamethrower and Fire Blast. But it can't learn Fire Punch. While having acess to the other elemental punches. But Fire Punch is where you draw the line GF?
Yeah, that's actually a very weird thing with the Elemental Punches in that for some reason there's very few species that can learn all three of them, with the only ones that can being the Elekid line, Hitmonchan, and the Meditite line. Not sure why, maybe Game Freak thinks letting too many species learn all three would be too OP for some reason, but Mawile certainly wouldn't be broken if it could learn Fire Punch. At least not without its Mega, but it can't even access that anymore, so what gives.

Yeah, that's actually a very weird thing with the Elemental Punches in that for some reason there's very few species that can learn all three of them, with the only ones that can being the Elekid line, Hitmonchan, and the Meditite line. Not sure why, maybe Game Freak thinks letting too many species learn all three would be too OP for some reason, but Mawile certainly wouldn't be broken if it could learn Fire Punch. At least not without its Mega, but it can't even access that anymore, so what gives.
Yeah. But it's also weird to me cuz it can learn all of those Fire moves, but yet can't learn Fire Punch. It can learn Fire Blast, but not Fire Punch.

Gengar?

Actually there are a ton of Pokémon who can learn all three lol. In addition to the above:
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Clefairy, Clefable
Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff
Mankey, Primeape
Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam
Machop, Machoke, Machamp
Grimer (both forms), Muk (both forms)
Drowzee, Hypno
Lickitung, Lickilicky
Rhydon, Rhyperior
Chansey, Blissey
Kangaskhan
Kantonian Mr. Mime
Munchlax, Snorlax
Dragonite
Mewtwo
Mew
Sentret, Furret
Sudowoodo
Aipom, Ambipom
Snubbull, Granbull
Teddiursa, Ursaring
Smeargle
Miltank
Tyranitar
Lombre, Ludicolo
Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gallade
Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking
Whismur, Loudred, Exploud
Makuhita, Hariyama
Sableye
Nosepass, Probopass
Aggron
Gulpin, Swalot
Grumpig
Spinda
Zangoose
Kecleon
Dusclops, Dusknoir
Regirock
Jirachi
Deoxys (all forms)
Buneary, Lopunny
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf
Regigigas
Watchog
Audino
Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr
Throh
Sawk
Scraggy, Scrafty
Reuniclus
Golett, Golurk
Meloetta (both forms)
Diggersby
Pancham, Pangoro
Hoopa (both forms)
Kommo-o
Marshadow
Grimmsnarl
Obstagoon
Kubfu, Urshifu (both styles)

I was just thinking: why exactly is that Wigglytuff can't learn Boomburst???

I get that singing/music is not exactly it's main inspirations, but there's always been an pretty strong emphasis on it using it's voice that it feels weird that it cannot use it.

It has access to: Disarming Voice, Heal Bell, Echoed Voice, Confide, Round, Hyper Voice, Sing, Uproar, Perish Song, Snore... yet it cannot learn Boomburst?

Also, did you knew that it's in the second place for the Pokemon who can learn the most Sound-based moves? It only loses to Exploud.

Speaking of Exploud, I find it strange that the Pokémon that has part of the word "explode" in its name cannot learn Explosion. That might sound a little overpowered if Exploud was actually given Explosion, but I feel like Explosion is not as good a move in practice as it is on paper for some reason.

So is there a reason that Pokemon like Gallade can't get Sacred Sword? Like, I get that it's a super-capable move that was designed as the signature move of a group of Legendaries, but that status was revoked as early as Gen 6 with Aegislash (though, it being a literal sword, I can see why that would make sense). However, of all things, Oshawott was capable of learning the move through breeding in Gen 7 with a Smeargle who's sketched it. That's just such a weird exception to make for a breeding pool for the move if they didn't plan to extend it to other things.

I feel like Explosion is not as good a move in practice as it is on paper for some reason.
I feel like the situation with Explosion is mainly that it takes up one of only four moveslots for, at best, a 1-for-1 trade. A confirmed 1-for-1 would be highly situational at the best of times, but an opponent that is sufficiently bulky, or simply a Ghost Type, scuppers that potential.
I feel like it's simply too situational to justify a spot on a highly limited moveset.

I just learned that Kantonian Farfetch'd can learn U-turn but the Galarian Farfetch'd can't. What? Why is that? I know that sometimes regional forms can have different moves, but those are usually reserved for their respective type difference. Considering that both Farfetch'd can learn moves like Brave Bird, Dual Wingbeat, First Impression (albeit via breeding for Kantonian), Leaf Blade, and so on, I'm surprised that only the Kantonian version can learn U-turn and not the Galarian form. The only possible explanation I can think of is G-Farfetch'd (and Sirfetch'd) are too "proud" and "chivalrous" for a hit-and-run tactic while regular Farfetch'd is more used to running due to it's "lore" about it being overhunted for food (following the "he who runs away lives to fight another day" mentality, perhaps?), but that's only a guess. But I still think it's a bit odd that U-turn is one of the move differences between the two versions of Farfetch'd.

Come to think of it, Golisopod can't learn U-turn either. Considering it's whole schtick is hit-and-run tactics, you'd think a move that is all about hit-and-run would be part of its arsenal. Not to mention it would get STAB on it, too, due to being a Bug Mon. That is a real strange one.

Come to think of it, Golisopod can't learn U-turn either. Considering it's whole schtick is hit-and-run tactics, you'd think a move that is all about hit-and-run would be part of its arsenal. Not to mention it would get STAB on it, too, due to being a Bug Mon. That is a real strange one.
Golisopod also doesn't learn Flip Turn, which is a Water-type version of U-turn, so that's two hit-and-run STAB moves that Golisopod can't learn.

Back
Top Bottom