• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Golisopod also doesn't learn Flip Turn, which is a Water-type version of U-turn, so that's two hit-and-run STAB moves that Golisopod can't learn.

I forgot Flip Turn even existed tbh. Probably because it has lower BP than U-turn and Volt Switch, thus it's not a "direct" counterpart to those moves. Makes you wonder why Flip Turn wasn't just given the full 70 BP like the other two moves got to make it a true counterpart. But anyway, yeah, that's a double dose of strange that Golisopod can't learn either move despite hit-and-run being it's entire style.

Drizzile's lore revolves around the traps it lays for opponents, partly because it is too lazy to battle itself. However, it learns 0 entry-hazard moves, being another example of gameplay and story segregation. I think it should be able to learn Sticky Web and Stealth Rock.

And as a quick aside, GF could have given it a custom move to represent its fighting style:

Bubble Bomb
80 BP
Special, no contact
The user sets a bubble trap on the field, which explodes upon the next opponent that is switched in. The bubble will detonate after two turns. (The move hits both Pokémon in Double Battles).

*It can also be cleared with Defog.

I was just out and about on Bulbapedia, and I just saw something:

What do you mean Heatran gets Bug Bite???

Apparently it can't learn anymore in gen 8, but the fact that through gen 4-7 it could is so weird to me.

Like, nearly every Pokémon who gets it is a Bug type. There's only a handful which aren't bugs, but at least there's some explanation:
- Drapion: It gets simply cuz it's pre-evo is a Bug, and based off an scorpion;
- Trapinch and it's line, which is most likely cuz it's also based off a insect;
- Lurantis also gets it cuz it's origins are also based off on bugs that looks like plants;
- Mew gets it cuz, u know, it's Mew;
- Victreebel and Carnivine are also sort of odd, but I can see that it's maybe cuz they are based off carnivorous plants, which do eat bugs (?), sort of a stretch I know;
- Gliscor is also based off an scorpion among other things, learns a bunch of other Bug moves, an mouth-related (?) moves;
- Heatmor is also a pretty big stretch, but consideing it's heavily associated with bugs, since it's a anteater, and there's also some heavy emphasis on it's mouth/appetite, like how it can learn Lick, Belch, Giga Drain, Stockpile, Swallow, Spit Up, so I guess there's some wiggle room in there???
But even if some have better reasons than others, like,,, how? Why?

I forgot Flip Turn even existed tbh. Probably because it has lower BP than U-turn and Volt Switch, thus it's not a "direct" counterpart to those moves. Makes you wonder why Flip Turn wasn't just given the full 70 BP like the other two moves got to make it a true counterpart. But anyway, yeah, that's a double dose of strange that Golisopod can't learn either move despite hit-and-run being it's entire style.

I don't know what's even going on with with Flip Turn's distribution. It's a cool idea for a move, but so few Pokémon received access to it... And what's more is that Primarina, Swampert, and even Blastoise can learn it, but not Inteleon. All of the old Water-type Starters that are in the game get the new toy, but not the new, quite popular, and really fast Starter that's supposed to be very adaptable due to its nature as a spy? Meanwhile, Rillaboom gets blessed with Grassy Glide.

I don't know what's even going on with with Flip Turn's distribution. It's a cool idea for a move, but so few Pokémon received access to it... And what's more is that Primarina, Swampert, and even Blastoise can learn it, but not Inteleon. All of the old Water-type Starters that are in the game get the new toy, but not the new, quite popular, and really fast Starter that's supposed to be very adaptable due to its nature as a spy? Meanwhile, Rillaboom gets blessed with Grassy Glide.
I don't think Inteleon wold be a monster with Flip Turn or anything even thought that is fast, cuz Barraskewda is a lot faster and hits harder in the physical side and just works better as an revenge killer than Inteleon tbh. But yeah, Inteleon should still get it tbh.

Hey, I learned about this a few days ago, and it's still bugging me:

Why can Lopunny of all things learn Mirror Coat?

Like, I looked at the Pokemon that can get it, at this were the explanations that I could come up with:
- A lot of the mons who get are Water, Ice, Steel and Rock, which I do find reasonable considering Water and Ice do reflect light, Steel also does it with mirrors and overall reflective metal surfaces, and even Rock to a certain degree, since there's gemstones and such which do in fact reflect light as well.

- It's a Psychic move that is basically about absorbing ''supernatural'' attacks and reflecting those back at the attacker, so it makes perfect sense for Psychic mons such as Wobbuffet (sinse hitting it's attacker back is it's whole gimmick) and maybe others like Gothitelle and Grumpig that are exceptionally ''specially beefy'' to learn it.

- Electrode and Voltorb are also... weird, but maybe since they are literal atoms of energy, and learn moves like Flash, Light Screen, Magic Coat, Signal Beam, which have to do with lights??? Idk about that one.

-Serperior is also the weirdest of the others, since I don't really understand it??? Maybe since it basks in sunlight and has scales (?), it can reflect special attacks back??? This one confuses me tbh.
But Lopunny??? Why? How can it use it? There's nothing about it that seems to be able to use that.

I know it doesn't have a horn, but that stinger should be enough for Buzzwole to learn megahorn. Just give a good bug-type move that isn't leech life!

Now we are on the subject of Megahorn. Why can't Pinsir learn it? And considering Absol and Escavalier can learn it, why can't Bisharp? Poipole and Naganadel can't learn it either.

Another thing that I find a bit strange on the move distribution department is Vacuum Wave. When you look at the list of Pokemon that can learn it, at first glance it looks fine... until you realize that of that big-looking pool of candidates, there's only a grand total of three fully evolved Pokemon that can actually use that move effectively, that being Lucario, Infernape, and Toxicroak. And neither of them learns it naturally!

Granted, the nature of Vacuum Wave does mean that it's hard to come up with Pokemon that might be able to realistically learn it while still being able to make good use of it, but I do think that at least Keldeo -whose movepool is laughably shallow anyway, so it wouldn't be that difficult to fit Vacuum Wave into a moveset for it- should have access to it. And the aforementioned Lucario, Infernape, and Toxicroak should get it by level.

Another thing that I find a bit strange on the move distribution department is Vacuum Wave. When you look at the list of Pokemon that can learn it, at first glance it looks fine... until you realize that of that big-looking pool of candidates, there's only a grand total of three fully evolved Pokemon that can actually use that move effectively, that being Lucario, Infernape, and Toxicroak. And neither of them learns it naturally!

Granted, the nature of Vacuum Wave does mean that it's hard to come up with Pokemon that might be able to realistically learn it while still being able to make good use of it, but I do think that at least Keldeo -whose movepool is laughably shallow anyway, so it wouldn't be that difficult to fit Vacuum Wave into a moveset for it- should have access to it. And the aforementioned Lucario, Infernape, and Toxicroak should get it by level.
Can’t Gardevoir learn it too?

Ah, my mistake. There are Mew, Medicham, and Blaziken, though.
Medicham isn't gonna be getting anywhere using Vacuum Wave with a base 60 Special Attack, especially since its Ability doubles Physical Attack instead, so it'll be using physical sets basically every time (unless you like building gimmick sets for fun). Mew and Blaziken would make better use of it, but Blaziken also seems to favor using physical sets more, probably because it has a way of boosting Physical Attack via Swords Dance, but not a way to boost its Special Attack.

Medicham isn't gonna be getting anywhere using Vacuum Wave with a base 60 Special Attack, especially since its Ability doubles Physical Attack instead, so it'll be using physical sets basically every time (unless you like building gimmick sets for fun). Mew and Blaziken would make better use of it, but Blaziken also seems to favor using physical sets more, probably because it has a way of boosting Physical Attack via Swords Dance, but not a way to boost its Special Attack.
Yeah, I only mention them because I’ve seen sets in the past for all 3 of them which used VW. It’s actually a surprisingly good surprise tactic on Medicham since its Speed isn’t great and it gets STAB. Mega Medi also has a passable SpAtk at 80.

How can't Druddigon, Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Aggron learn Breaking Swipe if Onix of all mons can learn it? Same with Kingdra. How are Onix and Kingdra able to Swipe. They don't have claws.

I think it's because Breaking Swipe is more of a tail slap type attack over a claw one, hence why Onix and Kingdra can learn it. However, I do agree that it makes it no less odd, as Nido duo, Aggron, and Druddigon do have fairly impressive tails to begin with, especially Nidoking, who's tail is often described as being able to break things like they were matchsticks in some dex data, if memory serves. So, while I feel that Breaking Swipe is not a claw-based move, I do agree that it's very odd that the Mons you mentioned lack the move regardless.

EDIT: Yeah, I was right. It's a tail-type attack, not a claw-based one. Here's the official description: "The user swings its tough tail wildly and attacks opposing Pokémon. This also lowers their Attack stats." As a result, that explains why Onix and Kingdra can learn it, as they both have pretty decent sized tails, but it doesn't explain why the others can't, since they do have impressive tails themselves.

Back
Top Bottom