• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves you think need changes?

a renewable fuel source? some other moves are stronger but they don't make them type change...

Pokemon produce fire from the fuel they create themselves, and seeing the present effects of Burn Up it’s safe to assume that it’s non-renewable (and Torkoal's smoke pretty much confirms that).

It’s just a gimmicky move not mean to be used over and over again, like Present and Hold Hands.

Pokemon produce fire from the fuel they create themselves, and seeing the present effects of Burn Up it’s safe to assume that it’s non-renewable (and Torkoal's smoke pretty much confirms that).

It’s just a gimmicky move not mean to be used over and over again, like Present and Hold Hands.
same sould be used better in my opinion bc burning something up has a different meaning too.

same sould be used better in my opinion bc burning something up has a different meaning too.

The move description disagrees with you
To inflict massive damage, the user burns itself out. After using this move, the user will no longer be Fire type.

Burns itself out=completely uses its fire capacity

On a side note, Burn Up should have really high BP for a Pokemon to justify losing its STAB for the battle and being able to use the nice only once. Around 150?

On a side note, Burn Up should have really high BP for a Pokemon to justify losing its STAB for the battle and being able to use the nice only once. Around 150?
Or change dex description and effect in my opinion.

Mist Ball and Luster Purge should have their Base Power increased to 90. The 50% chance to lower Special Attack or Special Defense is nice but not consistent enough to make it worth using over Psychic's higher power or Psyshock's defense calculation. I kinda forget the fact that they even exist.

\

Scald is ridiculously overpowered, reduce the burn chance to at most 10%. There should not be this move that instantly prevents half of all Pokémon from ever wanting to switch into you.

or reduce it power to 70, high burning chance is ok... 30% isnt that much in reality but maybe during hail, rain and sandstorm the chance of burning shoould be lower.

or reduce it power to 70, high burning chance is ok... 30% isnt that much in reality but maybe during hail, rain and sandstorm the chance of burning shoould be lower.

30% is pretty high, assuming you switch into a Pokémon using Scald and get Scalded again the next turn, that's more than a 50% chance of getting burned.

Have you actually played against Scald? The burn chance is simply too much. One switch in and bam! your physical attacker is better off fainted.
30% is pretty high, assuming you switch into a Pokémon using Scald and get Scalded again the next turn, that's more than a 50% chance of getting burned.

water absorb users?
shed skin? other abilities protecting against burn? fire types can't get burned.

there are so many burn inflicting moves and abilities and you two focus on one move: Scald?

Inferno? Will-o-wisp?

would make sense to make Thick Fat protecting the user from burn and frozen status to the 50% reduction of damage.

it has 70% chance of not activating.... now think about flinching and other status conditions? where you can attack and the oponent cant move? sleep, freeze, flinching? is it fair that they have same % in many cases with those power level taking chance of happening and afterwards effect? long term effect?

If Sparkling Aria would heal the user also when burned and not only the oponent then many musically oriented pokemon could get something.
(and user should heal hp when doing it... like the Fontain of Youth thing if you know what I mean)

ancient power, omnious wind with power 60 and 10% look weak against most...

there are so many burn inflicting moves and abilities and you two focus on one move: Scald?
Because it’s a high power move with a high power side effect that ruins 50% of the Pokémon on an already overpowered and versatile type.
The first ability you mentioned (Water absorb) benefits only a few Pokémon, and majority of them are water types themselves.
Fire types can't be burnt but they take super effective damage on Scald.
Other abilities preventing burn are really uncommon.

it has 70% chance of not activating.... now think about flinching and other status conditions? where you can attack and the oponent cant move? sleep, freeze, flinching? is it fair that they have same % in many cases with those power level taking chance of happening and afterwards effect? long term effect?

Flinch is a one turn effect so it’s fine by me. Burn ruins your attacker for the entire battle. To my knowledge there are no moves with a 30% chance of inflicting freeze or sleep. And if there seem, the moves with high percentage of sleep and freeze are either status moves, low power moves, or ridiculously inaccurate.
Scald has 100% accuracy move with a widespread distribution on one of the best defensive (and offensive thanks to liquidation) Pokémon types.

Flinch is a one turn effect so it’s fine by me. Burn ruins your attacker for the entire battle. To my knowledge there are no moves with a 30% chance of inflicting freeze or sleep. And if there seem, the moves with high percentage of sleep and freeze are either status moves, low power moves, or ridiculously inaccurate.
Scald has 100% accuracy move with a widespread distribution on one of the best defensive (and offensive thanks to liquidation) Pokémon types.

we have moves to remove freeze and moves to use during sleep? how many healing up moves do we have to cure burn?
it has power 80 and 30% only. Thats why not only attackers need to be used.

maybe making moves like aqua ring heal the burn?

what about Dry Skin and others? if absorb water they should not get burned in my opinion.

We forget that burn is needed strategically wise... Maybe more moves to heal it? but we have potions, items... some old moves that have Zen, Aqua theoretically should stop a burn.

We forget that burn is needed strategically wise...
No one said that burns need to be eliminated.
You’re coming up with ridiculously complicated solutions when we have a simple solution- make Scald's Burn Chance 10% or 20% like other status causing moves. That’s it.

And all those strategies are water type centric, again, which is also an issue when it comes to Scald. It gives an edge to water types and you’re just increasing that gap. There’s literally a simple solution to the issue you seem to not like for some reason.

If Scald keeps its base power, make its burn chance 10 percent.

If itnkeeps the burn chance, lower its power to 50/55.

A lot of damage, plus crippling a lot of mons while 9 times out of 10 you are also a really bulky mon is just stupid design.

Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt don't have 30 percent chance either.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom