• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movie 9 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys, please don't bring the May debate into THIS topic, too! >=\

Argy said:
You guys, please don't bring the May debate into THIS topic, too! >=\

But I was agreeing with him about May needing some more attention in the movies! =P

Last edited:
It WOULD be awful nice to see a movie where Ash gets kidnapped or whatever and his friends have to rescue him for a change instead of vice-versa.

Also, I'm beginning to suspect that the movies have become excuses for the writers and artists to take worldwide vacations.

Hmm...I hope the writers won't pull a movie 8 on us...otherwise we'll be seeing the characters in Togas (/me has grim memories of Animal House). But anyway, it would be very interesting to see what the whole plot is about, considering that the pokemon ranger saga is somehow tied into this. I look forward for more info next week.

Speaking of Movie 8, have Disney/Miramax announced any plans yet to dub this and release it on DVD yet?

inuyasha said:
Speaking of Movie 8, have Disney/Miramax announced any plans yet to dub this and release it on DVD yet?

Not to my knowledge. Besides, movie 8 takes place after Hoenn ends and the dub is heading to Sootopolis right now! It'd be way too early to release the 8th movie.

But then again 4kids released the 7th movie early, but I think Nintendo will hold back the 8th movie because they don't want 4kids to debut Rukario to American audiences yet.

Well, the next TCG set, EX Legend Maker, is the Japanese TCG Mew movie set, and they always release the sets in conjunction to the movie, so it will have to be pretty soon.

Lucario has already been introduced to north america in the intro of Pokemon Advanced Battle, but I do agree that we won't be seeing an english dub version in January like we did last year.

I don't really see May having a lead role in the movie as viable. I mean, Max got away with it in Movie 6 because of Jirachi's kiddiness. At best, Max and Jirachi became a sort of mirror to Ash and Pikachu.

May REALLY doesn't have that much to offer. She's the epitome of girly-girl with her contest obsession and unless the 9th Movie is going to take part in an American Highschool with a bunch of evil Cheerleading Pokemon - May's kinda screwed.

Doctor Oak said:
I don't really see May having a lead role in the movie as viable. I mean, Max got away with it in Movie 6 because of Jirachi's kiddiness. At best, Max and Jirachi became a sort of mirror to Ash and Pikachu.

May REALLY doesn't have that much to offer. She's the epitome of girly-girl with her contest obsession and unless the 9th Movie is going to take part in an American Highschool with a bunch of evil Cheerleading Pokemon - May's kinda screwed.

*gigglesnrk* I did mention that May's general type of action would be difficult to work into the movies, which is perhaps why she's under-represented in them, which is perhaps why she's over-represented in the anime... I don't think it's quite that limited though.

But man, that's a really amusing mental image. Plusle and Minun would have to be the head of the evil Cheerleading Pokémon. With... I dunno, little capes or something to make them look more evil.

Doctor Oak said:
I don't really see May having a lead role in the movie as viable. May REALLY doesn't have that much to offer. She's the epitome of girly-girl with her contest obsession and unless the 9th Movie is going to take part in an American Highschool with a bunch of evil Cheerleading Pokemon - May's kinda screwed.

A movie with May at the helm doesn't have to be girly, it could be done in the same manner as the previous 8 movies. You're making her character sound like she never does anything reckless or heroic.

Ash and May's roles are practically interchangeable. I could see May easily being the one riding on Flygon in the 6th movie. Is turning off a reactor to shut down a fake Groudon really so intense that May couldn't do it? Likewise, is there a reason that May couldn't befriend Tory in the 7th movie besides Ash? As for the climax of the movie, May could have easily jumped along those stupid block robots and done something as simple as put a key card in a scanner.

There's nothing Ash does in the movies that's really that spectacular that no other human being could copy. Especially for the previous 2 AG movies, (didn't see movie 8 obviously, so I'm not gonna comment on that), May could have had Ash's role in those two movies and the outcome would have been the same.

Ash and May's roles are interchangeable because of their similar attitudes and naive personalities. There's nothing Ash has done in the first two AG movies that May couldn't do. It's just the writers not wanting to take screentime away from their precious Satoshi.

At the very least, May should co-star in at least one AG movie, the same way she co-stars in the series. Why the writers always turn her into a damsel in distress in the movies, yet make her a fearless heroine in the actual series is beyond me. A May-centric movie would certainly not be something out of the question, especially one that co-stars both Ash and May.

You're making her character sound like she never does anything reckless or heroic.

Ash's method of stopping Pokemon attacking or bad thing happening: Run out in front with arms out stretched.

May's: Girn about it and hang around waiting for Max to point out that she should actually do something.

Real reckless and heroic. :p

Errr sorry Scott but no. I haven't seen a single episode with May being reckless and heroic. And you have to accept, contests are not the best enviroment to show your heroism either.

I'll still go with the theory that Ash will have the main role in this movie and Hinata, or any other ranger will have the major role after him.

^ The Wynaut ep. She was... well, not so much reckless, but definitely heroic in that one.

But that ep aside, I agree. May and Ash's roles are most certainly NOT interchangable. When it comes to action sequences, it's almost always Ash who rushes in to save the day. May usually hangs back panicking.

Kasumi-san said:
Errr sorry Scott but no. I haven't seen a single episode with May being reckless and heroic. And you have to accept, contests are not the best enviroment to show your heroism either.

I don't get it. Contest battling gets just as intense as Ash's Gym battling. Possibly even moreso, since there's a time limit on those. And I still don't see why this means May can't star in a movie. Just because she's a coordinator she can't save the world? Eh?

Remember the Numel filler with May being trapped inside TR's mecha? She basically took care of TR all by herself. In the Lilycove contest episode Combusken was about to fry her to a crisp. Instead of sitting there panicking, May quickly took control of the situation to stop the bowl of fire that could have killed her. She may not be "as" reckless as Ash is, but as I said, what was so different about Ash hopping on some block robots?

But I do agree that IF the movie has the Ranger theme, then it's likely the female (and male) Ranger will star the movie with Ash. So if that does happen, I'll have no problem with May sitting on the sidelines for the 4th AG movie in a row (even if a little irritated).

Man, can't wait for that first trailer of the 9th movie to come out. We basically have nothing to speculate about besides who will star in the movie. :/

Yeah, but this is Rome/Naples.

The problem isn't that May is a coordinator. Yes, she can be intense in her own way. But do you really see her doing what Ash did in "Destiny Deoxys"? Because I don't.

I say screw Haruka and Satoshi, I think it's time for a Team Rocket movie.

Scott85 said:
I don't get it. Contest battling gets just as intense as Ash's Gym battling. Possibly even moreso, since there's a time limit on those. And I still don't see why this means May can't star in a movie. Just because she's a coordinator she can't save the world? Eh?

Remember the Numel filler with May being trapped inside TR's mecha? She basically took care of TR all by herself. In the Lilycove contest episode Combusken was about to fry her to a crisp. Instead of sitting there panicking, May quickly took control of the situation to stop the bowl of fire that could have killed her. She may not be "as" reckless as Ash is, but as I said, what was so different about Ash hopping on some block robots?

There's a slight difference between saving herself in an emergency and Ash's "Hey, look, a problem! Rather than have any concern for my own well-being, I think I'll go fling myself into the heart of it. Literally. Whee!" And that makes all the difference.

Because no, I don't see May diving in the midst of Mew and Mewtwo's heated battle, or eagerly riding on a Lugia's back into the middle of a heated battle between the three Legendary birds, or running deeper into a forest when something strange's going on and being warned to stay perfectly still in that instance, or - my personal favorite example, from Mewtwo Returns - literally charging into a machine to try and break a machine that has already failed to be broken by other much stronger means.

Does May deserve a role? Yeah. Is she going to get one? Hopefully. Is it going to be bigger than any other character's that isn't Ash? Not even close. Is it unfair? No, because May just doesn't have Ash's heroic stupidity. No character does, and that's why Ash is the hero and they're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom