• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Movie Box Office, Releases, and Discussion

Movies Coming Soon July 15th, 2016

07/15/16
Ghostbusters (2016)

Plot: A paranormal researched and serious physicist attempt to prove that ghosts exist in modern society but their book fizzles. Years later, after being laughed out of a university job, the two reunite and, just in time, as Manhattan is suddenly plagued by reports of strange apparitions. They team up with an eccentric engineer and a woman who knows New York like the back of her hand and together the four women look to save the city from a tidal wave of ghouls.

07/15/16
The Infiltrator

Plot: A U.S. customs agent finds himself in danger when he uncovers a money laundering operation tied to notorious Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.

I work in a seafood restaurant, and right next door we have a movie theater. We we're supposed to get Finding Dory next door but it was pulled in favor of Independence Day: Resurgence. And right now we have Tarzan.

I'm mainly bummed because if we got Finding Dory or The Secret Life of Pets I could have seen them at a discount. I would go see them still, I just never find the time to go elsewhere. :/

Shaky cam?
Basically exactly what it sounds like, it's a camera technique where the camera is held unsteadily to create a disorienting or confusing scene. It's used a lot in found footage films, since many of those are ostensibly made with handheld cameras, but it pops up in other kinds of films too. It also gives me a terrible headache if it's used a lot.

So far not interested in the two movies mentioned, I never really liked Ghostbusters so I'll skip out on this remake, as for The Infiltrator I haven't seen commercials for it, or I might have and just don't remember, so I'll give it a pass as well. Though I am interested in what the reviews say about the movies and what fans of the original Ghostbusters think of this one.

I want Ghostbusters to be good just because of the ridiculous amount of hate it's gotten for no good reason, but idk. I'm not a huge fan of the original either, but if I hear good things and people I know want to go, I'd probably go see it.

The Infiltrator could be good, but I recently had an ordeal with customs and don't want to relive it so soon XD

Weekend Box Office (June 15 - 17, 2016)

1 The Secret Life of Pets $50,560,000.00
2 Ghostbusters $46,000,000.00
3 The Legend of Tarzan $11,120,000.00
4 Finding Dory $11,040,000.00
5 Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates $7,500,000.00
6 The Purge: Election Year $6,080,000.00
7 Central Intelligence $5,300,000.00
8 The Infiltrator $5,287,000.00
9 The BFG $3,747,000.00
10 Independence Day: Resurgence $3,450,000.00

Secret Life of Pets was a lot of fun! Makes me wonder what my cats do all day... Anyways, the characters were so cute and well-designed! I really loved Chloe the cat!

Also, I was never a Ghostbusters fan, either, but I saw the movie today and it was good fun, too! I was laughing, the audience was laughing- especially the kids! It was fun. It had female characters actually look like your everyday woman, not some Hollywood supermodel that tends to dominate these movies. I cannot believe the hate this movie got. I can understand if some people do not care to see remakes. Fair enough. I get that. The people complaining just because the main cast is comprised of women... yeah, not cool. Yeah, it isn't a masterpiece, but it was fun, and I left the theater still laughing at some of the scenes.

Movies Coming Soon July 22nd, 2016

07/22/16
Ice Age: Collision Course
Plot: Scrat's ever-elusive quest to get his acorn catapults him into space - and into a series of events that lead to cosmic chaos. Now the entire herd, led by Manny, Sid, Diego and the rest of the crew must move on. Their adventure is filled with laughter and peril - especially when an the brother of an old nemesis shows up - but the group will find new friends and, hopefully, a new place to call home.

07/22/16
Lights Out
Plot: Based on the 2013 short of the same name - a woman finds herself tormented by a creature that only appears when the lights go out.

07/22/16
Star Trek Beyond
Plot: The USS Enterprise begins the first leg of its five year mission. Reaching the edge of uncharted space, the ship is nearly destroyed and strands Kirk and the crew on a remote planet with no communication. With everyone scattered, it will test the crew, and Kirk, like never before.

I really liked the first Ice Age movie since it's the only one I've seen, I know the movies are apparently popular in Russia. But I might give this one a chance, not sure if I have to watch the others since I guess there are new characters in the herd now, so I guess I have to then. Light's Out I've only seen one advertisement for, and that was on Youtube, but from what I've seen it doesn't look that interesting to me so I'll pass. Star Trek Beyond looks good, I know I'm going to see that since I love Star Trek just as much as I love Star Wars, can't wait for this movie!

Movies Coming Soon July 22nd, 2016

07/22/16
Ice Age: Collision Course
Plot: Scrat's ever-elusive quest to get his acorn catapults him into space - and into a series of events that lead to cosmic chaos. Now the entire herd, led by Manny, Sid, Diego and the rest of the crew must move on. Their adventure is filled with laughter and peril - especially when an the brother of an old nemesis shows up - but the group will find new friends and, hopefully, a new place to call home.

07/22/16
Lights Out
Plot: Based on the 2013 short of the same name - a woman finds herself tormented by a creature that only appears when the lights go out.

07/22/16
Star Trek Beyond
Plot: The USS Enterprise begins the first leg of its five year mission. Reaching the edge of uncharted space, the ship is nearly destroyed and strands Kirk and the crew on a remote planet with no communication. With everyone scattered, it will test the crew, and Kirk, like never before.

I hope Ice Age: Collision Course is # 1 this week
Lights Out I haven't seen anything on this movie
Star Trek Beyond I hate the Kevinverse

I'm a little worried that "Sausage Party", because it's animated and most parents don't look at ratings, will entice kids to be anorexic or grow up to be mass shooters.
I'd hope that parents would at least see the trailers or reviews and realize that it's not meant for children. Did you go and see it then?

grow up to be mass shooters.

I highly doubt that, while I personally wouldn't take a child to see this movie, seeing one R rated movie isn't going to make them mass shooters, especially from a movie about talking food. I've seen R rated movies when I was young and I'm fine, it's like how people keep saying and blaming violent games (or violent anything like movies or books) will make people become shooters, those people already have something wrong beforehand or it's usually caused by bullying, ostracization, home problems, etc.

Went and saw The Secret Life of Pets with my mom and sisters today. Very cute, very funny, and the score was surprisingly excellent for a lighthearted animated film. I have yet to see Finding Dory, but it's still in theaters here, as is The Purge, so hopefully I'll be making a few more trips to the movies soon.

If you're protesting the content of age-inappropriate things that you let your kids watch though, I'd say the fault doesn't lie with the people who produced those things. Parents need to be responsible with what they expose their children to, and it's on them if that doesn't happen.

I watched my first horror movie (Child's Play 2) when I was like 8, played Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil as a kid, and I'm currently studying to be a doctor. If your kid is going to be a psychopath, it doesn't really matter if they see stuff like this or not. Like @Tactician Karina said, it's things like bullying or problems at home that lead to that kind of deviant behaviour.

And besides, it's pretty damn naive to say you won't let your kids do X, Y, or Q, when you can't feasibly control everything your kids do when they go over to their friends' houses or at school. Who knows what they'll read/watch/hear/play while over there, especially if said friends have older siblings.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom